News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The 2020 GT500 has no SHELBY name tags on body

Started by FL SAAC, March 11, 2020, 01:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Double the savings !

They just call it a "500"

Quote from: Don Johnston on March 11, 2020, 11:54:02 PM
True about the removal of key locks.  The new GT350 doesn't have visible ones either.  To access the driver door when the power is out requires the special removal of the back o the door handle to expose the key hole. Does the removal of thelock improve the mileage ratings or something? 8)
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

Agreed.  The vehicles from Shelby American seem to have about ten SHELBY logos per square foot.

But IMO, it would be nice to see one Shelby logo on the GT500.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

The Shelby American conversions exploit the S H E L B Y name,  great marketing.

Dont know how much the royalties are that Ford pays but at the end of the day it adds up the cost of the vehicle. Could be just one day they may call it a Cobra, a Cobra 500 or other.

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Review, Pricing, and Specs
https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang-shelby-gt500

Quote from: Side-Oilers on March 12, 2020, 06:00:52 PM
Agreed.  The vehicles from Shelby American seem to have about ten SHELBY logos per square foot.

But IMO, it would be nice to see one Shelby logo on the GT500.

I have all UNGOLD cars

6R07mi

Quote from: Don Johnston on March 11, 2020, 11:54:02 PM
True about the removal of key locks.  The new GT350 doesn't have visible ones either.  To access the driver door when the power is out requires the special removal of the back o the door handle to expose the key hole. Does the removal of thelock improve the mileage ratings or something? 8)

+ GM products
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

Don Johnston

"Starting at..."  Not: "priced at".  Which means that is what we post to get you into the dealership before we add on the real numbers to which that we want you to agree to pay. 8)

FL SAAC

Excellent point Mr J

Quote from: Don Johnston on March 31, 2020, 04:26:11 PM
"Starting at..."  Not: "priced at".  Which means that is what we post to get you into the dealership before we add on the real numbers to which that we want you to agree to pay. 8)

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Ford does not pay royalties for GT350, GT500, Cobra. Those names all went to Ford at the end of 67 when they assumed the assets of SA for debt. It was all litigated in 1984 when Ford did a GT350 and CS sued - Ford won but said CS could use Cobra on 2 seat sports cars. Ford kept the right to use Cobra on Mustangs and engines. When SVT finished what became the GT500 they contacted Shelby to use his name because SVT wasn't a big draw. He wanted something like $1,500 per car as a licensing fee. Ford ended up giving him a multi year 12 million personal services contract and worked him like a dog for it. He also wanted to build cars again so they threw him a bone and the Shelby Mustangs were born. He couldn't use GT350/500 as Ford owned those. If Ford isn't putting SHELBY on the car it just means they are saving money and not paying a license fee. As a side note since the feds clamped down on emissions mods SA is no longer a manufacturer and only offers post title mods.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Don Johnston

But the car is designated as a Ford Shelby GT350 or GT500 and Shelby Licensing does have those rights.  True on the use of the Cobra name as to whether it refers to a Mustang or a Shelby Licensed roadster.  Under SVT, the Cobra Mustang name did not generate any royalties for CS Licensing. Part of the deal also may have required SA factory Mustang modified products showing a "Powered By Ford" on the vehicle.  Maybe one of the current legal entities of Ford and CHS Trust/Shelby Licensing can bring this up to date as my information is a few years old. 8)

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

A-Snake

A historic trivia. Original leaf spring Cobras (260's & 289's) did not have the word Shelby or CS on them. They had AC, Ford, Cobra but no Shelby. ;)

Don Johnston

Lots  transpired between Ford and CS over the years.  It is the principle reason Shelby Licensing was established.

https://www.shelby.com/en-us/Licensing

Intellectual Property:
https://www.shelby.com/Licensing/Intellectual-Property

The Shelby website information has changed since the site was redone a couple of times.  The Licensing section had stronger words back when CS wanted to sue anyone using his name, designs, etc.  It seems more resolved for now.  At one time, it was rumored that each late model Ford Shelby GT500 brought in $1K to Licensing.  I have no verification of that at this time.  No one inside the Gardena office talks openly about these things anymore.