Author Topic: John Atzbach Collection going to Mecum Indy  (Read 19200 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Re: John Atzbach Collection going to Mecum Indy
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2020, 12:13:38 PM »
Hard to believe this will still proceed at the end of June.  Timing is everything.   :o
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2020, 01:14:25 PM »
Hard to believe this will still proceed at the end of June.  Timing is everything.   :o

+1

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2020, 01:35:30 PM »
Mecum has not changed their plans for late June as of yet. If something like that were to happen, I will update the forum.

At the moment, most efforts are working towards getting the extreme quantity of Shelby memorabilia lot-ed and listed online. There will be hours of studying to be done by anyone who appreciates that sort of stuff when the items are posted.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2020, 07:27:11 PM »

+1

+2
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2020, 07:41:19 AM »
Mecum has not changed their plans for late June as of yet. If something like that were to happen, I will update the forum.

At the moment, most efforts are working towards getting the extreme quantity of Shelby memorabilia lot-ed and listed online. There will be hours of studying to be done by anyone who appreciates that sort of stuff when the items are posted.

Kind regards,
Vern

Vern,

Is there any thought being given to archive all of the information so that it's not just an online catalog that will disappear after the auction? Seems like an opportunity to create an amazing reference library.  Accessible to the public and backed up.

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2020, 08:38:12 AM »
The timing could also be really good as everyone is tired of being quarantined and will be itching to spend $$$$.  The persons that are going to be significant bidders on this collection will be limited IMO.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2020, 10:19:11 AM »

Kind regards,
Vern

That itself is a huge job. NOS stuff packed in the showcases with storys of course. Seeing it in person was mindbogglingly. You didn't know what to look at next.  Wish I were younger. I was a parts hoarder.  ;D

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2020, 08:20:48 PM »

Kind regards,
Vern
Vern,
Any idea's when they will post some of the art work he has ?
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2020, 10:41:01 PM »
Does John Barnes ever post on the saac site as a lot of Atzbachs memorabilia came from him and Rick Radke since they along with Jeff Burgy were collecting this stuff back in 70s and 80s and they were the go to guys back then that knew this stuff but you never hear anything about them anymore so I guess they were just old skool guys now.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2020, 10:54:39 PM »
Does John Barnes ever post on the saac site as a lot of Atzbachs memorabilia came from him and Rick Radke since they along with Jeff Burgy were collecting this stuff back in 70s and 80s and they were the go to guys back then that knew this stuff but you never hear anything about them anymore so I guess they were just old skool guys now.
Some of the collection came from John Barnes. He doesn't have much any more because of that . He is not on this forum much. I don't know what happened to Rick Radke but heard he had sold out too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2020, 12:31:40 AM »

Kind regards,
Vern
Vern,
Any idea's when they will post some of the art work he has ?
John

Soon! Will update the thread when it happens!

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2020, 12:36:29 AM »

Kind regards,
Vern

Vern,

Is there any thought being given to archive all of the information so that it's not just an online catalog that will disappear after the auction? Seems like an opportunity to create an amazing reference library.  Accessible to the public and backed up.

While it’s a good idea in theory...it took me 8 days working from 9am till at least 1030-midnight depending on the day to simply put my hands on every piece and organize them into lots which the mecum people could then data entry into their system. While I’d love to be a part of something like what youre mentioning, that’s something which would take an immense amount of time to do and that’s time that we didn’t have when you consider all the things that have to happen to put a sale on of this magnitude, unfortunately.

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2020, 08:00:06 AM »

While it’s a good idea in theory...it took me 8 days working from 9am till at least 1030-midnight depending on the day to simply put my hands on every piece and organize them into lots which the mecum people could then data entry into their system. While I’d love to be a part of something like what youre mentioning, that’s something which would take an immense amount of time to do and that’s time that we didn’t have when you consider all the things that have to happen to put a sale on of this magnitude, unfortunately.

Wake up earlier!   ;D  Just kidding.

Understand. At least we will have an auction catalog to reference.

Thanks,
Rod

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »
Moved back to July 10-18.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2020, 02:38:03 PM »
Here's the info:

"After reviewing Governor Eric Holcomb’s recent release of Indiana’s “Back on Track” plan, Mecum has rescheduled Dana Mecum’s 33rd Original Spring Classic for July 10-18, 2020, which will position the auction safely beyond the state's plan for achieving a status of "fully open” across the board.

In addition, Mecum has expanded the event to span 9 auction days, providing the opportunity for 2,500 consignments to join what is destined to become an epic return to live collector car auctions."
Nothing beats a classic!