News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 Gauge cluster questions

Started by V8Dave, March 11, 2020, 08:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V8Dave

Hello everyone I hope I have posted this question in the correct place, I tried looking for a technical section but could not find one so I hope this is posted in the right place. My apologies if not.
I have a friend with a 67 gt mustang coupe, ask me some questions the other day and wasn't sure what advice to give him so I thought I would post here and ask for peoples views and opinions.
The two questions are my friend has his gauge cluster out the car because his 2speed wiper switch quit working would you recommend a new repro 2speed wiper switch or get a nos unit off the internet?
Secondly the constant voltage regulator on the back of the gauge cluster that drops the voltage to the gauges if you where to replace it, again would you get a nos unit off the internet or the newer modern electronic constant voltage regulators that are meant to be better and more precise?
Anyone body's help, thoughts and opinions much appreciated.
Many thanks for the help and advice
Have a nice day
Dave.

roddster

I will say this about the voltage limiter.  Find an OEM one or NOS.  The foreign made ones seem not to put out accurate voltage so the gauges it powers go weird.

One other thing about the wiper switch:  the power routes through the washer pump switch.  It turns on the wipes when you use it with your foot.  the problem might be there.

The Going Thing

The Ford Replacements are not the same as the production line. It was running as much as 7.5 volts.  I replaced mine with a U.S. made solid-state unit. The NOS wire-wound is bad advice.  Over or under voltages also cause the gauges to malfunction. The Fuel gauge would peg past full and the temperature gauge would read on the hot side. If you have an issue finding one I'd be glad to post links for you.

V8Dave

Hello everyone
Thanks for the kind information and help. The going thing if you wouldn't mind tell me where to get a constant voltage regulator and I can pass the information on to my friend.
Also thank you roddster for the information on the wiper wiring its been checked and its the wiper switch gone bad would you recommend a nos one or I believe acp make the new reproduction ones.
Thank you all for your time.
Best regards
Dave

The Going Thing

Dave.. Wiper switches rarely fail. If you can find a good used 67 switch that the chrome has survived on you should be fine.
Yes, I will directly link you to a quality  SSIVR ( Solid State Voltage Regulator)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 15, 2020, 01:10:59 AM
Dave.. Wiper switches rarely fail. If you can find a good used 67 switch that the chrome has survived on you should be fine.
Yes, I will directly link you to a quality  SSIVR ( Solid State Voltage Regulator)
Most likely not considered and surely not a secret ,you should post the link in the thread so others reading may benefit as well.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

I'd be glad to. There is no proprietary information when it comes to replacement items. I know most of us have had voltage regulator issues at some juncture.
At least Ford figured it out. GM vehicles have gauges that are all over the board in the same era especially fuel gauges.