News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

American Gangster Hertz car

Started by acman63, March 04, 2018, 06:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acman63

just saw one of the gangsters get in to a black and gold hertz  . anyone know if this was a real car?  had chrome magnums,  bullet mirrors
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

68stangcjfb

I read somewhere it's the same Shelby that was used in War of the World's with Tom Cruise. The car they blew up was Definitely not a Shelby. It was a 65 C code if I remember correctly. I could have bought that one for $7000.00 after the filming was done. I did buy the 2 tone green 72 F250 seen in the movie for $500.00.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on March 04, 2018, 08:18:14 PM
I read somewhere it's the same Shelby that was used in War of the World's with Tom Cruise. The car they blew up was Definitely not a Shelby. It was a 65 C code if I remember correctly. I could have bought that one for $7000.00 after the filming was done. I did buy the 2 tone green 72 F250 seen in the movie for $500.00.
The war of the world's car belong to our New York SAAC member Gino . I am not sure about the American Gangster car but think it was a clone. I think Gino's movie car company had something to do with that car also. Just another story lost in the recent forum crash. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68stangcjfb

That would make sense as American Gangster was filmed in New York in addition to other places.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 04, 2018, 08:31:17 PM
Quote from: 68stangcjfb on March 04, 2018, 08:18:14 PM
The war of the world's car belong to our New York SAAC member Gino . I am not sure about the American Gangster car but think it was a clone. I think Gino's movie car company had something to do with that car also. Just another story lost in the recent forum crash.
Forgot to mention the war of the world GT350 is a great original condition genuine car that belongs to Gino.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

Stan (NC TrackRat) used to own the GT350 used in the War of the Worlds also I was told.  I believe it was restored by our local Shelby restorer Hunter Willaird.  Perhaps Stan can chime in and tell us the story.  After the movie, Tom Cruise bought and gifted it to Steven Spielberg.  Wow, nice to have friends like that.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

6s1802

It's a real Hertz car 1886/1881? Can't remember the number but it was also used in War of the Worlds. Great scene when it's sliding thru the intersection.  After that film Tom Cruise bought the car for Steven Spielberg. I used to be a policeman in a left coast liberal beach community where Spielberg had a hanger at a local airport where he stored all the props he kept from his films. Picture every film this guy ever made and the special props for these films were in this hanger. This guy is the ultimate pack rat. I was at the airport one day and the Shelby was in front of the hanger, hood up, and some guy was trying to get it started. I stopped and offered to help, being the good public servant I was. The guy who took care of all of Spielberg's crap couldn't believe I knew anything about such a rare and valuable car until I told him I also owned one and offered to help him start it. After adjusting the choke It fired right up. I got a chance to look it over and it is a spot on correct car. I also fixed the headlight since one of the retaining springs had come loose. Left my business card and asked if Mr.Spielberg would be interested in displaying the car in our up coming LASAAC car show. Never heard a thing but kinda figured I wouldn't. The sad thing is last I heard the car is now just another one of his movie props and may never be seen again.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 6s1802 on March 04, 2018, 11:01:49 PMThe sad thing is last I heard the car is now just another one of his movie props and may never be seen again.
George Lucas is building a museum in Los Angeles. Some of the Speilberg stuff is slated to be there - I suspect just Indiana Jones junk though.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

NC TRACKRAT

I have no idea about the American Gangster Hertz.  I restored 6S1487.  Hunter did the paint and bodywork.  It was purchased from me by a Dr. in the Maryland area.  From what I was told, they needed to be sure that a "stand-in" was readily available in case the one used in "War of The Worlds" should get "Hert" (pun intended), so the Dr.'s car was hired for the job.  Steven Spielberg mentioned to Tom Cruise that he really liked the looks of the car so, unbeknownst to Spielberg, Cruise bought it for Spielberg's birthday.  It resides in L.A. and I understand that he occasionally drives it to the studio.   Being a SAAC Gold and multiple MCA Grand National Gold car, I can only hope that Spielberg (or someone in his hire) is keeping it up.
5S071, 6S1467

ITHERTZ

If I remember correctly Bill Collins supplied the car to be burned up in that movie.  It was a rusty clone that was held together long enough for the shoot with 2x4s or something to keep the uni-body from collapsing.