News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Suitable 428 bell housing

Started by mlplunkett, March 12, 2020, 11:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlplunkett

Seems that the correct 4-speed bell housing for the 67 428 is not easy to find. I've seen comments that the truck housing will work fine (and allow the larger clutch) if strict originality isn't the issue. Looks like the C5TA housing is readily available and affordable. Is there any problem from a functional and appearance standpoint in the C5TA option?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Special Ed

Isnt the starter nosecone area different than the c6oa?

Krelboyne

No, I think that it is the depth of the bell. Places the transmission too far back to properly engage the splines enough.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

GOAT12

Actually the C5TA truck bell is shorter depth than the 427/28 bell.

shelbydoug

You can use a Lakewood "scattershield".

The issue with the C60A-6394-D bellhouse is that it is unique and looks different then the others.

The 390 bell does not look like it and if you use it with a 428 flywheel then the starter teeth are going to hit the inside of the bell. I will add, that is the case with the Lakewood as well.

What you do with the Lakewood is, bolt it on, start it up and let it run until the sparks stop flying. At that point, the two will have machined themselves together.

The 65 Galaxie bell will fit, is built for the big clutch also and looks similar but it has an additional ear on it for the pivot for the clutch equalizer bar and the starter housing looks different.

If you go to the smaller 390 clutch, then you can use the 390 bell, it just doesn't look the same.

The CJ bell is also used on the 67 GT500 and is made to clear the big 11-1/2" clutch cover.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mlplunkett

So is the CJ Bell a C8 casting number? What part/casting number should I be searching for?

acman63

C5T  bell wont allow the 11  1/2 clutch plate.  C6O   is the proper CJ bell
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Special Ed

There is no c8 cj bell housing like some people think the c6oa bell is used from 68 to 70  however the clutch fork pivet bracket is different in 68 -70 having the hole in it for the flat type spring and 66-67 has the fork with the wire type spring clip.

Bob Gaines

Some of the early 68 GT500's had the wire clip too. The transition happened in early 68 apparently.  As a side note try to find a big bearing fork with the wire clip  ;) . They were unique to those 67 early 68 GT500 cars. Fairlanes too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

I saw two recently in the FE forum for about 600. No, you do NOT want to run the truck housing.It's substantially different. It also limits your clutch choices. You can't run a centerforce so the lighter clutch choices won't be available to you.

mlplunkett

I just found this bellhousing chart on the David Kee Toploader site that shows a C8OA-6394-A that indicates is for the 428 with 11 1/2" clutch. Seems like that would be a good substitute but is it another unicorn?

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/bellhousingidchart.htm

shelbydoug

The casting number is C60A, not C80A. That could be a "service" PART number but you will never find a bell with that casting number that I know of.

As Mr. Gaines mentioned, they are all the same engineering casting number but there is an early version for the clip throw out bearing lever mounting and a later version.

The casting dates on these bells are as important as anything. You need to decide which is best for you.
They are all "rare". The '67 Shelby dates are rarer still since the numbers are so small vs. the CJ cars.

If you look at "completed auctions/sales/transactions" on Ebay, you will see that most have been sold for around $500. I've seen them advertised for as high as $1,100, but the "completed" file tends to disagree with that number.

Still, find one that you want, then attempt to negotiate. Good luck with that. I'm still looking for a 7E31. I've found just about everything but.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mlplunkett

Well now I'm a little shy about using info from that chart but let me try one more. What's the damage (I'm not building a drag car) if I settle for the 11" clutch? Would the C5AA-6394-A be suitable? Just wondering if I can widen the search criteria.

The Going Thing

It's not just the 11" clutch. It's what you can get in the bellhousing.  I love the Centerforce dual friction I have. Relatively light pedal pressure, great engagement and doesn't slip with almost 600 HP and 500LB of torque.  It's a great street clutch that won't kill your linkage.
You can use the 66-67 style or 68-70 style. The fork is readily available and you won't have any funky geometry issues.

shelbydoug

It strikes me that the added material in the  C60A bell is for clearance of the counterweights on the Long clutch cover. The Ceneterforce is more compact in that area and shouldn't need that additional clearance.

I think that clutch was originally referred to as a 12" clutch when it was used in the 427's? At some point it became an 11-1/2". The counterweights on it have always caused Fords issues.

The Pantera uses one and the counterweights needed to be removed to clear the bell also.

If you are building just a 390, an 11 inch clutch should be sufficient I would think. That should fit within the 390 bell.

The C60A is just one of those things that you want for your 67, 8, 9 or 0 FE. It's one of those visual things like the balancer. They kind of stand out in a crowd?

There are items no one is going to notice if you have. A C7ZX fan clutch or a service or original build date dual point or if you have the right fan. They pretty much all look the same but if you picked a 67 GT500 to replicate accurately, you picked some difficult and expensive parts to find.

Got a SPEC rear? People look for that. $3,200 was the last quote I got for one.

What are you going to do for a thermostat housing? Not only are they unique to the 67 model year,  but in addition they are date coded.

You could have picked something simpler.

I hate to admit it but the first thing I do when the hood is up is start looking on the engine for the original production line parts.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!