News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

OK, so what's up with the 'Klutzmobile'?

Started by BGlover67, March 12, 2020, 01:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Considering the year, this has to real, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P46UgqF8GVA

Fast forward to 3:24 if you aren't fan.  I'm sure someone here knows the story on this one.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

propayne

Yeah, it's real.

That's from an episode of the Monkees.

Apparently the studio needed a race car they could rent for that episode and the Daytona Coupe was available.

And I'm a fan of both  ;D

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

propayne

I'm going to go out on a limb and comment without digging through my resources - I'm sure an expert will chime in and set the record straight.

But I'll say yes, CSX2287 the first of prototype coupe aka the Phil Spector coupe.

In fact, maybe it was Spector who lent it to Raybert Screen Gems.

Is my memory faulty, doesn't Dean Jeffrie's Mantaray show up in that episode too?

Jeffries of course designed and built the Monkee Mobile and also painted the first Cobra.

Personally I love how all these things dove tail.

- Phillip

SFM66H

Quote from: BGlover67 on March 12, 2020, 02:09:15 PM
CSX2287?

Brian, I say no. The dead giveaway is the width of the cowl strip between the door and the front clip. 2287's is the only one of the six Coupes that has a very narrow strip. All the other five Coupes have a much wider strip. Without consulting my photo files for a guess, that's all it would be if I offered one here. There just isn't enough of the car showing to do so.
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

SFM66H

Note the narrow cowl strip between the door and the front clip seen here on 2287, as compared to the one in the Monkees episode:

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

propayne

Hmm, well, incase my guess was a "swing and a miss", I'll make up for that with some stills I took from my Deluxe Monkees DVD set in 5.1 Surround Sound.

- Phillip

propayne

propayne

And still there's more (Todd Rundgren reference).

- Phillip

propayne

And here is a shot with Dean Jeffries' Mantaray in it.

You can see the 289 Cobra engine that Shelby gave Jeffries as payment for shooting the custom pearl yellow paint job on the first Cobra.

Also note the color of the Mantaray, which ended up being silver. Looks kinda like a pearl yellow or gold.

- Phillip

I don't recall seeing a valve cover like that on the Manta Ray before.

mark p

Quote from: propayne on March 13, 2020, 09:17:04 AM
And here is a shot with Dean Jeffries' Mantaray in it.

You can see the 289 Cobra engine that Shelby gave Jeffries as payment for shooting the custom pearl yellow paint job on the first Cobra.

Also note the color of the Mantaray, which ended up being silver. Looks kinda like a pearl yellow or gold.

- Phillip

... and thanks for that info, I wondered if I "should have known" that other car, plus couldn't read the valve cover on the small screed.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Quote from: propayne on March 12, 2020, 02:35:14 PM

Is my memory faulty, doesn't Dean Jeffrie's Mantaray show up in that episode too?

Jeffries of course designed and built the Monkee Mobile and also painted the first Cobra.

Personally I love how all these things dove tail.

- Phillip

Found some pictures