News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

OK, so what's up with the 'Klutzmobile'?

Started by BGlover67, March 12, 2020, 01:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

propayne

The Mantaray has always had the Cobra engine in it - except I guess when it was a Maserati Grand Prix car. You'll notice that it has a carburetor during the time period it was used in the Monkees episode but ended up with the much more attractive Webbers.

As the story goes (and noted earlier), Shelby tapped Dean to give the first Cobra that was put together in Moon's shop, its very first coat of paint.

Appears the Pearl Yellow wasn't very durable and it didn't last too long before it was repainted blue.

Jeffries personified the California hot rod and custom car culture that was a cornerstone of the original Shelby American.

Before he became famous for building custom TV and movie cars, he was well known for lettering and pin striping Indy cars and race cars, including Lance Reventlow's early Scarabs.

Our friend Tom Cotter wrote a wonderful book on Jeffries - highly recommended.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Side-Oilers

Thanks for the Mantaray pix.  I'd hate to be the guy who had to change its spark plugs or a radiator hose.  Does the body tilt up somehow?

I realize that custom cars don't have to be funtional.   But, just sayin'...
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

propayne

It was functional - it's in the movie Bikini Beach.

Jeffries did all of the driving in the movie because he was nervous about letting Frankie Avalon drive it.

The body is not fiberglass - Jeffries hand formed it out of aluminum and no bondo or lead.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

mark p

Quote from: propayne on March 14, 2020, 01:14:31 PM

Jeffries did all of the driving in the movie because he was nervous about letting Frankie Avalon drive it.

The body is not fiberglass - Jeffries hand formed it out of aluminum and no bondo or lead.

- Phillip

Wow  :o
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Quote from: mark p on March 14, 2020, 01:18:37 PM
Quote from: propayne on March 14, 2020, 01:14:31 PM

- Phillip

Wow  :o

+1