News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

intake manifold oil filler cap

Started by nwfire, March 13, 2020, 03:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwfire

Anyone know of a vendor where I can purchase a correct oil filler/breather cap for my 1967 GT500?  This is the tube at the front of the intake manifold on the passenger side.  Need the push in style of cap, not the twist style.

Thanks for the help.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: nwfire on March 13, 2020, 03:14:38 PM
Anyone know of a vendor where I can purchase a correct oil filler/breather cap for my 1967 GT500?  This is the tube at the front of the intake manifold on the passenger side.  Need the push in style of cap, not the twist style.

Thanks for the help.
NPD used to sell them . It is of course the smaller diameter one compare to the larger valve cover size. don't get them confused when searching catalogs.FYI it was also used on 67 GT350 without smog.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

nwfire

OK, thanks.  I've got one on order from Cobra Automotive.  Salesman sent a couple of pictures of one on a car there and it appears to be the correct one.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: nwfire on March 13, 2020, 10:56:03 PM
OK, thanks.  I've got one on order from Cobra Automotive.  Salesman sent a couple of pictures of one on a car there and it appears to be the correct one.
The correct push on cap is 2 1/2 inch's diameter not 2 3/4  which is the size of the valve cover twist on cap. The Fomoco in script trademark in the oval is for very early cars,Fomoco in block letters inside a rectangle for middle production and Autolite for later production. The only 2 1/2 diameter push on cap reproduced is the very early Fomoco in the oval marked one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

The 67 version isn't very nicely chromed.  However, this gives you an option to use the same unit used for the vent on the intake on the valve cover.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 20, 2020, 11:58:25 AM
The 67 version isn't very nicely chromed.  However, this gives you an option to use the same unit used for the vent on the intake on the valve cover.
Kieth ,please do not advocate using the valve cover breather cap for the oil fill tube on the intake . They are two different caps as you know. This is unnecessary given all of the more historically correct options which are readily available from Mustang vendors new and used on the secondary used market. Keep in mind that the historical aspect and not merely function is the main reason that this question is asked 

The Going Thing

I did so because I couldn't find the recently released unit listed for the 390.  I gather the "cookie cutter" was also proper to some vehicles?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 20, 2020, 12:19:36 PM
I did so because I couldn't find the recently released unit listed for the 390.  I gather the "cookie cutter" was also proper to some vehicles?
The "cookie cutter" style cap is not a breather cap it is meant to keep fumes from escaping on a closed emission (smog) system only. Thermactor equipped 67 GT500's is a relative small category and even smaller is those GT500's with thermactor installed . If running without thermactor you need to use the appropriate breather cap and not the closed cap .There are concours correct looking breather cap versions readily available.

The Going Thing

In chrome? I saw the Drake offering listed for the 390 valve cover. This is slightly larger than the push-on they offer. It is a twist-on.

Side-Oilers

I recently bought one of those (twist-on, not push-in) for my 427 with the cast aluminum covers.

It seemed to fit well, and snug, but I lost it on the first drive in the car.  I re-ordered one and think I will put a daub of black silicone on it before installing.

Any other thoughts?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

The Going Thing

Yes, actually. Make sure it's tight before operating your motor vehicle. :o

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 20, 2020, 03:02:43 PM
In chrome? I saw the Drake offering listed for the 390 valve cover. This is slightly larger than the push-on they offer. It is a twist-on.
Yes that is the readily available valve cover breather cap. There is also the smaller diameter push on cap used on the oil filler tube readily available as well.