Author Topic: I wasn't sure where to post this. Warning about Marti Auto works Fuel Hose!!  (Read 3407 times)

The Going Thing

• View Profile
I wanted to let the group know about the issues with the Marti Auto Works Fuel Line. I have had my vehicle completed for just over a year. I purchased the 3/8 and the 5/16 because of the feed for the dual quads and the 3/8 feed line from the tank to the pump.

The lines are dry and cracking already.  I replaced the fuel sender and noted the cracks in the sender to feed. I decided to inspect the others and every single hose is not only hard but splitting.  I would suggest an inspection of all rubber fuel lines supplied via Marti Auto Works.

CSX2259

• View Profile
Could be the alcohol content in the fuel, my aeroquip hoses are having the same issues.

doublemyv

• View Profile
I have heard that the Earl's brand Vapor Guard fuel lines hold up well.  Mark

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
That type of original equipment fuel hose always did dry and crack. It needs to be checked on a regular basis.

10% ethanol isn't any more corrosive then leaded gas is.

I just replaced 40 year old -6 Aeroquip for dying out. You can't beat that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
It isn't an argument from me or an attempt to defend anything.

I mentioned Aeroquip simply for the reason that the material used is of a different standard then automotive hose.

Second, what you are describing from my experience although on the short side of what I'd expect, IS what I would expect from automotive grade fuel line.

The fuel line that I had on the Ford dual 4 fuel rail showed cracking where it expands over the metal fuel nipples on both the carbs and fuel rail in like a 12 month to 18 month time period.

I can't speak scientifically about it, just from memory. Since I sort of expect this kind of performance from the hose, I just changed it out and there is a roll of new hose in my "hose drawer".

I understand the disappointment with the performance but if memory serves me right, the original hoses that I saw on complete swap meet assemblies were thicker, were shinny like the rubber had hardened and commonly showed similar cracking over the nipples.

The thing to do is to inquire with Marti and point this out to him. I could think of several scenarios that would tend to explain the situation, all of which are on his end and he should consider proper course of action.

At one time Scott Drake products had approached high reliability/dependability, now that has apparently gone by the waste side with repackaging inferior products under their name.

I've got two sets of Marti's spark plug wires and there are pluses and minuses. A plus is that they are nice and flexable and don't crack and pop when you bend them like the originals. The minus is that they are too much like the originals and lack the sophistication of current thick silicone wires.

You just can't have it both ways. They look nice and so far don't cross fire but I have my doubts about how they will survive with the heat of the headers?

By the same token, I have two brand new sets of Ford Racing silicone plug wires that immediately split the first time I ran them so we're just in a lack of product quality era and probably should just expect a 50% product failure.

In the '60s these parts were cheap and no one thought much about it. Now, they ain't so cheap and sometimes analyzing what the problem is, isn't that simple.
It just doesn't make sense to have a high quality expectation.

What I do on my 67 GT500 is different then what I do with  the 68 GT350 with the 2x4's. On the '68 I take a "makes sense" and a durability/serviceability approach at the risk of being burned at the stake as a heretic, but so be it. There's always someone shaking their finger at me and telling me i'm going to Hell anyway? At least "I'm enjoying the ride?"

I LIKE the "Aeroquip" hose on my '68. It's the "Devil's Jewellery".  ;D

This is my latest combination with ss tubing. Given my past history, it likely will change again, but I like the fuel line up away from the throttle linkages.

Those linkages have also been worked with rod ends. So this car is for function rather then correct appearances. Lots of the T/A coupes had the linkages worked with rod ends as well.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:24:11 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I've had to replace the same hose after just a few years on concours show cars.  None of them ever leaked though.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Doug: I am all hard line too except from the feed line at the lower left apron to the pump. It's hard line from the pump to the canister and onto the fuel log. Of course the two lines from the log to the carbs is 5/16 rubber line with Gas Gas Gas.

I have the gold fuel log for both of the cars. I may go back to it on the 68 as a result of some sort of a fit of rage on my part? Probably likely but hard to predict exactly when and where?

I did the lines on my Pantera in a combination of hose and tubing. In some places the tubing just makes more sense and is easier to service the engine with. In other places, hose.

I was thinking of putting Budweiser decals on the velocity stacks? What'dya' think?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 05:13:13 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Budweiser?

I'd go Schlitz or the Generic BEER BEER.

Special Ed

• View Profile
I have never had problems with marti hoses but I have seen where people use hoses for wrong places  radiator heater bypass smog pcv  fuel  brake etc are all different and need to be installed in correct factory places.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Well, considering it's a GT500 There are four places for FUEL line.  2X 5/16 for Log to carbs, 3/8 Fuel feed to pump, 3/8" fuel feed pipe joiner, 3/8" sender to feed line. They are so tight that you can see the barb through the rubber. I've been working on cars for 40 years. I've never seen the fuel line dry and shrink as this has.
It's why I issued a heads up warning. It only takes a pinhole to destroy a vehicle.
Just so there is not confusion for those reading ,on Kieth's modified 67 fuel line the line may be 3/8 but stock 67 GT500 has smaller 5/16 all of the way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Is there another source (other than Marti) for the two preformed fuel log hoses?

Carl's?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Is there another source (other than Marti) for the two preformed fuel log hoses?

Carl's?

In the case of the hose, I wouldn't know it as a fact but usually there are one or two small manuacturers that make this stuff.

One of the larger vendors like Virginia or Branda might know the answer to that question BUT I would think that there is a large possibility that there is a guy out in his garage buying bulk hose that looks like the original and stamping it with the GAS GAS GAS?

Again, I wouldn't know that as a fact as the symptoms are largely speculative right now.

It's entirely POSSIBLE that this hose is from one of the original manufacturers and that what is being observed is within the original expectations from the original hose?

It is worth saying thanks to Keith for bringing this to everyones attention. Thank you Keith.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

• View Profile
I was actually shocked to find the hoses were rock-hard and had shrunk. I had a restored fuel sending unit malfunctioning. I had to cut the hose off with a pair of dykes. I used a box knife to split the hose. This prompted the inspection of all rubber fuel hose. The reason I stated use wasn't about "Correct Concours" use, but to make a point that both size products have the same issue.    I can only speculate until I call Kevin Marti, but I thought perhaps it was from an over-seas vendor.  Virginia Mustang and Branda don't make it. At best they are selling someone else's product. 
I would hate to see anyone lose a vehicle over Chinese fuel hose. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
I was actually shocked to find the hoses were rock-hard and had shrunk. I had a restored fuel sending unit malfunctioning. I had to cut the hose off with a pair of dykes. I used a box knife to split the hose. This prompted the inspection of all rubber fuel hose. The reason I stated use wasn't about "Correct Concours" use, but to make a point that both size products have the same issue.    I can only speculate until I call Kevin Marti, but I thought perhaps it was from an over-seas vendor.  Virginia Mustang and Branda don't make it. At best they are selling someone else's product. 
I would hate to see anyone lose a vehicle over Chinese fuel hose.
It has been my experience that Marti uses OEM hose . Those typically are US made. With that said there are instances that I am aware of where it has been determine that certain batches of rubber materials are not treated properly from the MFG. and are faulty. The cases I am familar with had to do with rubber treated for UV protection. I would guess something like that (not treated properly at the MFG.) is what is happening from your experience given that same hose when sold to the typical consumer without the Marti historical markings and is expected to hold up under normal circumstances. I suspect that if you bought more hose from Marti you wouldn't have the same experience. Of course that is just a guess. It is always good to inspect things like hoses on your car occasionally regardless. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
............... With that said there are instances that I am aware of where it has been determine that certain batches of rubber materials are not treated properly from the MFG. and are faulty. ...........

+1 Likely we've seen where other vendors have had similar (bad batches of raw resources) issues that were corrected in follow up products
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge