News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hagerty article on how Coronavirus might affect Collector car market.

Started by CSX 4133, March 15, 2020, 01:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Going Thing

This isn't going to be an epidemic any more than H1N1. They are a virus.  We need to cut the doom and gloom. The panic has done enough damage and we're not anywhere near the losses we see from whatever strain of flu we contend with every year. Those who aren't healthy and have underling issues should use caution, period.  If what we were told via the APA this week they can combat it well for those at risk for complications if caught early and are very close to a vaccine.  Let's stay positive and just use a little common sense. 

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Don Johnston

In the current era of social media followers, there is no sense that is common.

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

mark p

I also thought that the closing paragraph was pretty good:
So, if you can afford to hold on to your classic, there's no reason to sell right now. If you take a long view, it might also be a time to buy. As always, we think the important thing is to buy what you like and drive it often. Given the times, we'll add that it's even more important to stay safe. Please follow the CDC guidelines so that we can avoid COVID-19 quarantines and infections and get back to driving.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Quote from: Don Johnston on March 15, 2020, 07:17:16 PM
In the current era of social media followers, there is no sense that is common.

And the mainstream media does have common sense? It's total hysteria on every network.

The Going Thing

Here's the deal: I jumped out of the aircraft for the first eight years of my adult life for a living.  If it's your time, you can't change it. After the crap I have endured I shouldn't be breathing, yet here I am. I don't give myself credit. That is due my Maker. 

As for common sense, It's like deodorant.  The people that need it most never use it!

427heaven

Most all of my family are in the medical field, it is very real... with no hysteria. If you feel this a hoax like our fearless leader has stated, carry on as usual.

Coralsnake

Keep going, I dont think anyone has been banned under two different user names. 

Quote from: 427heaven on March 15, 2020, 07:34:57 PM
Most all of my family are in the medical field, it is very real... with no hysteria. If you feel this a hoax like our fearless leader has stated, carry on as usual.
. Yep.

Side-Oilers

The seller of the Bullitt Mustang is probably breathing a sigh of relief that the car went to auction when it did.

The buyer, maybe not so much.

For a car like that, IMO there could be a $1 million or so drop in auction price because of all this....had they all waited until now.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Shelby73

I'm sure the buyer of the bullit car has enough money to not care. He probably didn't buy it to sell.
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

J_Speegle

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 15, 2020, 07:34:21 PM
Here's the deal: I jumped out of the aircraft for the first eight years of my adult life for a living.  If it's your time, you can't change it. After the crap I have endured I shouldn't be breathing, yet here I am. I don't give myself credit. That is due my Maker. 

Always had a similar belief during my work life but the change takes place when you start thinking beyond your life and in this case, what you bring home to your loved ones/family. More that responsible for my life and choices, shot at, blown up, exposed to who knows what ....... BUT when it comes to bringing it home that's a whole different thing IMHO

Quote from: 2112 on March 15, 2020, 07:22:06 PM
And the mainstream media does have common sense? It's total hysteria on every network.

Watched about 4 hrs+ of TV today that included both national and local news as well as press conferences of both Federal representatives and State (Calif) and saw no hysteria from the media only reporting and asking of decent and surely anticipated questions. Not always what I see just saying today was a different experience . Glad all sides (hate to think that are "sides" in a situation like this) appear to be focusing and moving forward.

Sure that when this is behind us each of us will be able to look backwards and see that we were very wrong on some things and possibly right on others. Lots of stress out there let's not spread it :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

FL SAAC

Could be a precedent case

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 15, 2020, 09:14:18 PM
Keep going, I dont think anyone has been banned under two different user names.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert