News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fuel Tank?

Started by proford1, March 15, 2020, 05:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proford1

So i need a new gas tank, do i go with concourse correct replacement? or Scott Drake SS tank. is there any other options, i know ill be running good gas it just seems smarter to buy Stainless.  does anyone make a stainless one thats close to original?

thanks Mike

roddster

I'm pretty sure those days of driving it to work, for instance, after a snow storm in Chicago, are over, right?  So, the repop galvanized ones will stay shiney and new looking for years.   So, you need to determine if the 68 you have either has a drain or does not. I think they do, but do look.  Besides, if it matters, we've got judges that can see it is not original from the moon.

Bob Gaines

I would strongly suggest getting a galvanized tank with drain plug like original. I believe you will be happy you did down the road. If you had a resto mod or tribute car it would make less of a difference.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CO-Runner

Hey Bob,
Happy Friday!  My 68 has a repro gas tank with a drain plug and I was given an original Ford tank without a drain plug. Both tanks are good.  Which tank would you recommend placing in the car?
Thank you,
Chandler

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CO-Runner on October 24, 2020, 01:30:53 AM
Hey Bob,
Happy Friday!  My 68 has a repro gas tank with a drain plug and I was given an original Ford tank without a drain plug. Both tanks are good.  Which tank would you recommend placing in the car?
Thank you,
Chandler
The gas tank with the drain plug is what came in your car from the factory. A drain plug comes in handy if you have to drain fuel from your tank like when it is store for a long time and the fuel turns stale. All things being equal my suggestion would be to put the tank in like originally came in your 68 car besides as mentioned the drain plug offers a advantage. The Ford service tank is different then original and offers no advantage.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rukiddin

On this same subject....I have the original tank,For my '68 that was/is heavily undercoated. What is best way to clean off the undercoating without damaging the tank plating? I keep thinking it might be very nice under all that undercoating...plastic scraper and a heat gun?

KR Convertible

Gas, kerosene, etc. work well on tar based undercoating.  Soak a rag and let it sit on it to melt it.

CO-Runner

Thank you, Bob for your help.  I will give the service tank back without the drain plug back to my buddy.

On the subject of taking off undercoating, I use a heat gun and apply heat to small sections and use a plastic scraper.

papa scoops

be aware that most of that old thick undercoating is full of asbestos. be careful. most of the repop tanks i have seen must be thinner than oe as you can hear the gas slosh around. phred