News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT500 Block id

Started by texas swede, March 17, 2020, 08:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas swede

Hi guys,
Looking to identify a 1967 GT500 engine block:
Casting C6ME Correct ?
A letter A at the back of the block, anyone have a picture.
Thanks,
Texas Swede

The Going Thing

C6ME-A.  A scratch on the rear.

shelbydoug

The date code needs to be within the production of 67 Shelby's and within about 3 weeks of the Ford Build.

There are some made before and after. Those can't be called 67 Shelby production blocks.

At some point in very late production, there are reports of original C scratch blocks but the detemining factor would probably be the casting date.

There is also an assembly date stamped into that rectangular projection above the oil filter adapter location and the assemblers initials.

All of those things help since there is no serial number stamped into the blocks.

Don't wash the paint swipes off of the lifter valley. Leave them if you can.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

In my original block there was no A painted.  However, the numbers were present at each bore in the lifter valley. They were for piston fitment on the assembly line. Because of modern cleaning processes for the block being hot tanks are all but non-existent it would be difficult to preserve paint in the valley. I am not really sure why it would be necessary.

I have seen C7ME-A blocks dated as early as February 1967.
Remember, because it's a C6ME-A or C7ME-A doesn't make it a 428, nor does the A scratch on the back, even though it likely is.

The service block that I currently have here is a XI.  Just when we think something makes sense. Now if you have crossbolts there is a 99.9 chance it's a 427.

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 17, 2020, 10:11:34 AM
I have seen C7ME-A blocks dated as early as February 1967.
Remember, because it's a C6ME-A or C7ME-A doesn't make it a 428, nor does the A scratch on the back, even though it likely is.

+1 what do the water passage holes on the deck look like?

Rickmustang

No. Look for the web strength if "feet" that the block should have.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

texas swede

Thanks guys,
You are the best. My 67, #1317 was scheduled and built the same day at San Jose on January 31, 1967.
What cast and assembly date code ranges would the engine need.
Texas Swede

The Going Thing

Quote from: Rickmustang on March 17, 2020, 10:59:50 AM
No. Look for the web strength if "feet" that the block should have.
There are no exterior differences on a 67 390/ 42 and they do NOT have the extra webbing. That started in 68.

shelbydoug

Quote from: texas swede on March 17, 2020, 11:29:59 AM
Thanks guys,
You are the best. My 67, #1317 was scheduled and built the same day at San Jose on January 31, 1967.
Texas Swede

That probably means all of the parts were there to build it immediately. Depends on the combination going into it? A 4 spd, non-air, non emissions, black interior would probably be the easiest.

Shelby completion dates on the automatics with air show some big differences between build dates and completion dates. The presumption is something was missing to complete the car?

I would think from about Christmas to New Years day would be perfect for your casting dates?

I've seen some of that two to three week window vary though according to the time of the year.
You just know that a block cast in May of 66 couldn't likely be in a 67 Shelby where the first build is probably in Novermber 66. That's  a stretch.

Having said that though I've seen engines with what appears to be the original heads that aren't even close to having been cast at the same time. Maybe a month to six weeks apart, so I don't know what's with that other then with the FE's, never say never.

My block has the CJ webbing in it. Maybe they all should? I don't know about that?

Some sellers have claimed that there are 428 blocks without any scratch marks. At this point I'd error on the side of caution and say that is just not so. They likely are 390 blocks that have been bored out.

The 390 blocks don't have the CJ webbing either as far as i know but the world of Ford FE's is a strange one and I have often found other parts that should not exist but do.

This block has the capacity to do the 427 cross bolts on. It would be a very expensive undertaking to do at this point.

It DOES NOT have the 428 showing through the water ports that I see.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 17, 2020, 12:04:24 PM
Thanks guys,
Texas Swede

That probably means all of the parts were there to build it immediately. Depends on the combination going into it? A 4 spd, non-air, non emissions would probably be the easiest.

Shelby completion dates on the automatics with air show some big differences between build dates and completion dates. The presumption is something was missing to complete the car?

I would think from about Christmas to New Years day would be perfect for your casting dates?

I've seen some of that two to three week window vary though according to the time of the year.
You just know that a block cast in May of 66 couldn't likely be in a 67 Shelby where the first build is probably in Novermber 66. That's  a stretch.

Having said that though I've seen engines with what appears to be the original heads that aren't even close to having been cast at the same time. Maybe a month to six weeks apart, so I don't know what's with that other then with the FE's, never say never.

My block has the CJ webbing in it. Maybe they all should? I don't know about that?

Some sellers have claimed that there are 428 blocks without any scratch marks. At this point I'd error on the side of caution and say that is just not so. They likely are 390 blocks that have been bored out.

The 390 blocks don't have the CJ webbing either as far as i know but the world of Ford FE's is a strange one and I have often found other parts that should not exist but do.

This block has the capacity to do the 427 cross bolts on. It would be a very expensive undertaking to do at this point.

In the case of the aforementioned AC cars regardless of if GT 350 or GT500 ,evidence seems to suggest IMHO that the C7ZX marked AC compressor was to blame. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 17, 2020, 02:34:18 PM
Thanks guys,
Texas Swede

That probably means all of the parts were there to build it immediately. Depends on the combination going into it? A 4 spd, non-air, non emissions would probably be the easiest.

In the case of the aforementioned AC cars regardless of if GT 350 or GT500 ,evidence seems to suggest IMHO that the C7ZX marked AC compressor was to blame.

Yea, what's different about them? They look exactly the same to me. Just the tag is different?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 17, 2020, 10:11:34 AM
In my original block there was no A painted.  However, the numbers were present at each bore in the lifter valley. They were for piston fitment on the assembly line. Because of modern cleaning processes for the block being hot tanks are all but non-existent it would be difficult to preserve paint in the valley. I am not really sure why it would be necessary.
  :)
Of course it isn't necessary. I just thought it was a nice touch to keep if possible?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

Bear in mind the C6ME-A is meaningless and may or may not be on every 428 block that you find. There are lots of blocks that are marked C6ME-A that were cast as 352 or 390 or 410 blocks.

The A scratch on the back and the distinctive shape of the water jacket holes at the cylinder head mounting surface is a safe way to ID a 428. You also need to know what date code you are needing. Fortunately Ford and Mercury made tens of thousands of suitable 428 blocks so they are not usually expensive or hard to find.

Quote from: texas swede on March 17, 2020, 08:47:04 AM
Hi guys,
Looking to identify a 1967 GT500 engine block:
Casting C6ME Correct ?
A letter A at the back of the block, anyone have a picture.
Thanks,
Texas Swede
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Royce Peterson

A block for a 1967 Shelby GT500 would not have the extra reinforcement found on 428 blocks used in the 428CJ era. Those blocks did not exist until the fall of 1967 after Shelby had stopped making the 1967 cars.

You should see the beefy extra webbing blocks in every 1968 GT500 and GT500KR and all 1969 - 70 GT500's as well as every 1968 and later 428 engine installed in anything from a cop car to granny's 428 Marquis station wagon after the period of change over that roughly coincides with the strike at Ford in the fall of 1967.

Thanks guys,
Texas Swede

That probably means all of the parts were there to build it immediately. Depends on the combination going into it? A 4 spd, non-air, non emissions, black interior would probably be the easiest.

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock