Author Topic: Your best Shelby run in with the law  (Read 11871 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Your best Shelby run in with the law
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »
I would like to hear anyone's best Shelby story and run in with the law. Currently I have none but looking to make some memories...
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
Re: Your best Shelby run in with the law
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:21:13 AM »
Last time I drove my Shelby the cops followed me home, does that count?
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Mark500

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
Leaving an event after a recent carb rebuild my secondary circuit opened up a little quicker than intended.... as I fried the tires and was getting sideways, an officer was just getting off the exit.  I tried to jump on the interstate and go the opposite direction only to be chased down.  That Cost me...   

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »
Was chirping my tires a couple days before Xmas when I was like 19 or 20...Guy pulls up to me in a nondescript white car(leather jacket,tiger stripe ray bans) and says”if you want to do that go to Irwindale”..”Whatever” I say to him,light em up and take off...He starts following me aggressively.I think some crazy idiot is chasing me so I hit it and start running through the gears pulling away easily.I make a left to try and lose him,go through the gears again and now I am like a block ahead of him.Just as I make another left two things happen.1.the red light goes on inside his car and 2.two marked cruisers block the road at the next corner...Strangely enough I wasn’t arrested,probably because I insisted his light wasn’t on during the pursuit so I didn’t know he was a cop(which he denied)I believe(it’s been awhile)I was charged with exhibition of speed,speeding,and reckless driving,which would have meant the loss of my license,but was later reduced to simple speeding(which is another story entirely and REALLY pissed off the cop)...Moral of the story(I guess)is to be sure you know who is chasing you.....Also learned that my P.I. trumps Johnny Laws (or at least what they had back then... ;D 8)

R Code

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »
Heh, heh.  Remembering Phil driving away from my parent's house, idling away in 1st gear, shifting into 2nd & letting off the gas to coast down to the stop sign: the car spitting an popping the whole time through straight pipes with the sound of high compression & a big cam.

The cop who lived in the corner house (playing catch w/his kid on the front lawn), yells "SLOW DOWN" as Phil idled up to the stop sign.

I'm not certain what other words (if any) were exchanged between the offended and the offender*, but a small block Ford sounds awfully nice going through the gears at full song.

*alleged
- Chris

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »
It was late on a Summer night in 1974. I was out  testing my recent tune-up on my 67 GT 500 (427 Medium Riser, Tunnel Wedge, Dual 660's) across a bridge on a county freeway. I proceeded to a turn around spot, crossed over the median, checked for traffic ..and hit the throttle. Accelerated to about 100 mph, then  backed off and coasted around a corner, heading back to town. I happened to glance in my rear view mirror. and saw a set of blue lights behind me about 3/4 of a mile back. Being young & immortal ( or so I thought at the time ) I decided to try to beat him back to town and lose him.Well. I had installed on my car awhile back 2 modifications....A) a cut out switch to the tail light system & B) a flip down license plate with a choke cable running right next to my driver's seat. Pushed the cable, hit the switch, and went for it. I pegged the speedometer,crossed the bridge, headed up a hill and turned right into the city streets. I had a friend whose parents lived nearby, so I  drove down their street, shut the car off, and coasted behind a large hedge next to their driveway. It was an unlit street. and having a Nightmist Blue Shelby, hoped it would conceal me. I rolled the window down and listened. Heard a lot of radio crackle for awhile, then everything was quiet. To be sure , I slept in the car till sunrise, then went home.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »
Great stories! I'm loving it!

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 01:31:03 PM »
Shortly after purchasing my 1966 Hertz, a bunch of us went out for pizza one night. If any of you not familiar with the Central Valley in California, we are famous for our Tule fog. Visibility is defined by the number of stripes you can see on a good roadway. Forget about it if you are on a road without a centerline.

Well after leaving the pizza place with about three stripes visibility I saw flashing lights in my rear view mirror. I had no clue why I was being pulled over.

Well lo and behold, when the Highway patrolman came up to the car, it was my cousin who loved to write tickets, especially to family. He thought it was funny.

When I asked why he had pulled me over he said my lights were not on. I told him I had turned the lights on, but when I checked I realized that I had only turned on the parking lights. My bad.

I was shocked when he didn’t give me a ticket and as he walked away laughing saying “Nice car”.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »
In 1974 I was coming home from a late night college class and it was a warm spring night. I still had my right arm in a cast from fingertips to armpit from a hang glider accident, so I was driving with my left hand only. It was one of those night we all dream for, a full moon, and open road and the sound of a hipo 289 at about 5,000 rpms. As I was driving down the road I began to notice a set of lights far behind me. The road was full of rises and falls and I wondered who was driving that fast. As I crossed the bridge on the county line I slowed up and then I saw the red lights flash on. It was a Prince George’s county cop. I thought “oh crap, this is it I’m going to loose my license”. He pulled me over about a mile into Anne Arundel county and came up to the car. He was an older officer and was actually shaking. He yelled “Do you know how fast you were going” I told him no, but I was certain he would tell me. He said the road was too twisty and not straight enough to get a good clocking in me, but he said his Crown Vic was maxed out and if I hadn’t slowed up he would have never caught me. He saw I had my arm in a cast and started yelling at me for driving at speeds approaching 120 with one arm. I said that I really thought I wasn’t going that fast, maybe 80 at the max (I was actually enjoying seeing the speedometer hover around 100-105 when I saw the lights), but I wasn’t telling him that. By this time an Anne Arundel cop had pulled up and he asked what was going on. The PG cop told him he wanted to ticket me and impound the car, the Anne Arundel cop told him to back off as I was way over the county line and out of their jurisdiction. He asked the PG cop had he clocked me in Anne Arundel county, he said, because I had slowed down when I crossed the county line. The Anne Arundel cop told him to get back across the line before he reported him. After the PG cop left, the AA Cop turned to me and said, “Alright how fast were you going” I told him the truth and  he starting laughing. He said that he knew the other cop, and he didn’t like him because he seemed to always patrol the county line and liked to give big tickets and play the big bad cop. He looked the car over and told me to take it easy in his jurisdiction but if I wanted to go over the county line make sure I was close enough to get back over as quickly as I could and slow down
No tickets and the license was safe for now.

Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »
About 30 years ago, I had the brakes checked and adjusted on the 66 GT350.  I decided to test them but the speed limits around the neighborhood are only 25 to 35 mph.  So I went over the hill to the coastline area where there is a mile long straight posted for 45 mph.  I made a couple of fast runs and soon was pulled over by a very upset gendarme.  He said he clocked me at 60 mph and and was amused.  With my license and registration I handed him the owners manual.  He said he did not need the manual.  I asked him to check the section about setting the brakes by doing three hard stops from 60 to zero.  It was there in the owners manual and I didn't think that it would not be  safe to do it on the freeway.

He mused over the written paragraph in the manual for a minute, closed his ticket book and said that that was the best excuse ever in the past year, so I got a hall pass.  I asked him if there was a safe alternative to make my runs.  He gave me his card and said to call him so I could do it when he was on duty and could check the traffic first!   If even asked if I wanted to do a speedometer check.  A real car guy that actually had a couple of big block t-buckets that he liked to show.  I was real sorry when he retired a few years later.

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
Best run in I've had is the one I HAVEN'T had, yet!

Craig R
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 05:19:12 PM »
These stories are AWESOME! 

I have a story, but it's not mine.  It's actually a story from the previous owner of 0022 - it took place on the day he picked up the car in 1974.  I'd love to share, but I'm guessing it won't come across as well, given it would be second hand.
The moral of the story: never underestimate your Mom's ability to drag race her brother...while living down the street from the local sheriff!

I have a feeling that it won't be long before I have my own story to share.   ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
Bought 6S1802 in early '81, car was my daily driver for years. Back when I was still employed as a policeman for a progressive liberal left coast beach community I usually took one of Los Angeles areas canyon roads to work, thus avoiding the horrible 405 freeway. I would swing by and pick up another policeman who was on my shift and off we would go to work in the G.T.350. Back when I got it 1802 had a Paxton supercharged Boss 302 with Windsor heads and very loud side exhaust. Having a brass pass I wasn't concerned about a noise ticket. For those of you familiar with the Los Angeles area we were in the west San Fernando Valley and would use Topanga Canyon to get to the coast. Topanga Canyon crossed Muholland Drive and that's where the "official time" would begin. Working day shift we had to be at work pretty early which meant going thru Topanga Canyon at about 0500, that's five am to you new car twenty something people. I would really be working the G.T.350 thru the canyon over steering thru the turns and making all kinds of racket.  This lasted about two weeks. One day, exiting the canyon at Pacific Coast Highway we found the road blocked by a CHP Dodge Diplomat, a horrible police car. The CHP officer pointed at us and motioned us to the roadside. Playing dumb I had my drivers license and I.D. ready. Iv'e never heard another policeman yell as loud as this guy, he was louder than the exhaust. G****mmit we've been looking for this f***ing thing for two weeks have you any idea how many noise and speed complaints we've had, and on and on. I was a young policeman at the time so there was a lot of yes sir no sir's on my part. He said in no uncertain terms he NEVER wanted to see that g**amn car on his canyon again. I agreed and avoided a call to my watch commander. We still had to get to work, so next day we were back in a 1971 Datsun 1200 2dr 5 speed. No noise and almost the same time thru the canyon.

6s1139

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 06:41:15 PM »
OK, not my Shelby, but a few years ago in a nice 66 coupe

My wife was picking me up from the Airport, asked her to bring the mustang as is was a warm night and the ride home was a good run.

Car is original (LHD), we are in Australia (RHD is the norm), I had a few wines under my belt so I was passenger

Up ahead is a roadside "breath testing" stop, whole road being check by the boys in blue. As we pull in the officer leans into my side, conversation went something like;

O - Good evening sir, this is a random breath test.......................
M - Mate, I am not driving
O - Sir, you are required by law to give a sample of your breath ...................
M - Look, there is no steering wheel
O - "blank look"
O - go, go

He told us to leave, rest of the police in the line were having a good old chuckle, he was very embarrassed (to this day I wish I had blown to see what would have happened :))

cheers

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 06:55:47 PM »
Awesome thread guys...
6S373
6S1276