News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Your best Shelby run in with the law

Started by deathsled, March 05, 2018, 10:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Code

Same time frame as my earlier story, picture a dark blue '68 GT fastback, Phil's '68 GT350 & my yella '69 CJ Cougar convertible at the corner gas station having a quick pow-wow.  I'm headed home (4 blocks away), so I bang a left out of the station & mat the thing, making a bunch of noise & leaving 1/2 lb of rubber in 2 squiggly lines down the road.  I never saw the cop sitting in the bank parking lot across the street (but he sure saw me).  I made a right onto my parent's street, 7th house on the left, pull into the driveway, get out of the car, and here comes the cop up the street, lights flashing, and stops right in front of the house.

Hilarity ensued.
- Chris

98SVT - was 06GT

Blasting down Azusa Canyon Road a little over 65 - come around corner here's a CHP parked with his door open. Slow down as much as possible. Watching in mirror he hasn't closed door or come after us.  OK back on the throttle and oops around the next corner is his buddy. He of course stops us but since 65 was the legal limit on the road it's just a fishing expedition. After a few minutes - pop the hood. Gee you don't have your smog equipment. Yes I do it's not required this is a Shelby. Nope 66 Mustangs need an air pump. Nope as you can see the registration says make GT350 not Ford. Well I'm going to cite you for a smog violation. You'll have to install the parts and get it inspected before you go to court. Well it can't be fixed and there are no parts. Sign here. Go to court Judge says is it fixed? I said nothing was wrong with it. Do you need more time to get it fixed. Again NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. What do you mean does it have the smog equipment? NO - Then you'll need to get it fixed. Your honor can I explain? OK. As you can see the citation says Ford. Yes. It's not a Ford. What? It was manufactured by Shelby American here is the registration it clearly states make GT350. OH what does that have to do with it? Shelby was exempt from the smog equipment. Here is the owners manual with a copy of the exemption letter printed in it. I see why didn't you explain this to the officer? I did he said you can sort it out. OK - case dismissed.
Yes it was the Deathsled 6S843 in about 1978.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

429rb

Here's a 1969 Mach 1 story for you (1980'ish).  Had just finished installing a warmed up 351c, c6, 3.91 gear setup in car.  Bugs worked out and a friend of mine and I went out for a few cold ones.  I was driving him home nearing the edge of town strictly watching my speed.  Problem was there was some butthead following right on my rear end.  For a mile or so this joker just hung there and as we got to the edge of town where speed limit increased he tried passing me.  He pulled into other lane and I nailed the Mach 1 leaving him to suck on my exhaust fumes.  I didn't let off and we were flying.  My friend turned around and said uh-oh, there's lights flashing back there.  The flashing lights were way back there and my heart sunk.  I decided to pull over and take my medicine and the cop pulled up.  Apparently he was behind the guy that was hanging on my bumper and I didn't see him.  As the cop starts getting out of car the idiot that was on my bumper passes us both wailing on his horn as he passed.  The cop got back in his car and went flying after him leaving us on the side of the road.  Drove my friend home then went home myself and cleaned my britches out...
429rb     

deathsled

These are great stories.  It would be ideal to memorialize many such stories in a book.  I'd have to think of a title.  But it could be a 200 or 300 page book of real car stories.  All story tellers would be listed with full credit as long as agreeable otherwise those who objected to their name in print could be listed as anonymous though I don't know why you wouldn't.  These are badges of honour in my opinion.  When we go driverless full time everywhere (you know it's coming) at least there will be a good book about the thrill it was to drive your own car at speed with the only hindrance being the long arm of the law. And even then, you got a break with the right officer.  Maybe the net generation that replaces us will have something to think about then, no?  Just great stories.  Thank you!

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

SFM6S087

After 36 years of ownership, I finally had my 6S087 restored. I told the transport driver bringing it home that we could meet at a local high school parking lot for the delivery. As I was pulling up to the school he already had the car unloaded... and there was a cop standing behind it looking ominous. It looked to me like I was going to get a ticket, and I hadn't even started the engine yet! Turns out it was the school district police and all he wanted to do was look the car over. Whew!

Steve

Stubee

I was driving a heavily modified 07 Shelby GT/SC, 3:73, Shelby Borlas and all the excessive race parts that everyone needs for the street..

I was late for a flight checkin and in Capts Uniform..I took the off ramp, through the median, at the last second to the airport at well over 100... did I mention Shelby Borla exhaust...It was a little tight, but hey, there was at least two feet of rear bumper clearance with that way too slow Mercedes already on the ramp as I roared by..

As I was heading to employee parking, I checked six, and there was that pesky nuisance of a Merc on my tail.and a rather pissed off operator..hmm.. not good.

I put on my Capts Hat and sheepishly exited my shiny ShelbyJet..He was a big guy but his face changed from anger to the ..OK well that makes sense look..

He said, " I just want to let you know you scared the crap out of me back there"!
I shook his hand and apologized.. and said, " I'm sorry.. sometimes I still think i'm In the air when I am on the ground."

I gave him a card and said if he was ever on my flight to say hello..

The flight that day departed and arrived safely on time.. the Captain had a little smirk on his face..

*Allegedly ;)

corbins

About 6 years ago. Coming home from dinner at a local seafood restaurant with the wife in 1588. Pulled to a stop light in front of our courthouse on the main drag. A carload of young guys came up beside us in rice burner with fart can exhaust and were egging me on. Light changed and I lit em up for a second or two. Almost immediately the blue lights came on, State Trooper , car right behind me. :(

Did the whole " how much have you had to drink tonight? Where you going?" Etc. Sobriety field test. Trooper ask "what was that all about?" I responded, "just showing my ass", he says "guess its easy to slip your foot off the clutch, pretty car" Go home . Thanked him, but didn't tell him it was an auto.

66 GT350 NZ

The country is New Zealand, the city of Hamilton, I worked in a Service Station pumping gas and doing small car repairs on the 4pm to midnight shift, the year was 1977.  I owned a 1965 Shelby GT350 which was always parked close to the forecourt (under my watchful eye).  Things got fairly quiet from 10pm to midnight.  A young local law enforcement officer (motorcycle) would come in every second night for a cup of coffee and chat... and always asking me questions about the Shelby, and would say that "one day I wouldn't mind going for a ride".  One night, just as I was closing up he came in and said "this is the night you are going to take me for a ride!".  He got in the car with full uniform (and wearing his helmet).  I took him for a ride down Te Rapa straight at over 100 mph (speed limit 30 mph).  You can't refuse the law... :).  A week later I was going down Te Rapa straight a bit too fast, he had someone pulled up on the other side of the road and heard me coming because of the loud side pipes, turned around and gave me the 'thumbs up'.  I have many other stories with this car... but this one will do for now.

gt350shelb

about 1999  danbury ct :
one of the local police was a regular in the shop i worked in and had  a few race cars . (chevys)

I was cruising around town  in 00212  and  going down main st  in danbury . 
I stop a  few block from  police station  at a traffic light  and someone pulls up along side  and revs the engine .

I Look over and its   a Police car!

Light  goes  green and it was game on right past the  police station  down main street.

;D
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

deathsled

All great stories gentlemen.  A book of stories would be in order.  It would be time consuming to create but there are print on demand options and the like once all of the stories are compiled.  I wonder what the level of interest would be for such a book.  Not exclusively limited to Shelbys or run ins with the law, but also street racing and so on.

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Well, my  favorite story isn't about a Shelby.

I was riding with a classmate from School and we got pulled over. When he handed the LEO his license, he failed to realize there was a Marijuana bud stuck right on top of his picture.

He wasn't under the influence at the time.

After 40 minutes or so in the back of the squad car, he was let go with a possession citation. (legal now days)

Needless to say, we were late for our double date.   ::)

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Vernon Estes

I had a 66 Hertz, 6S1497, here in KC. Took the car out for its first spin. Wanted to get it into 4th gear so got it up to 55, no big deal.

Well, there was a cop behind a tree who was gunning me from the top of an upcoming hill while I was on the downhill portion.

Got nailed for a 55 in a 35, in a school zone. Nothing crazy but certainly annoying when I wasnt even doing anything exciting in the first place.

The officer asked if I knew what speed I was going and I said yes, that I buy and sell the cars, and I was just trying to run the car through the gears to make sure everything was as represented from the last seller. He rolled his eyes, issued a ticket.

Then he asked if he could take a picture with the car.....
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.