News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Your best Shelby run in with the law

Started by deathsled, March 05, 2018, 10:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stubee

FL SAAC

Quote from: Wedgeman on March 13, 2018, 08:31:53 PM
To Dkutz....my first question to you would be to ask how old you are, for if you are under 60 you will have no comprehension as to how it was on the street around 45 years ago, in my part of the country ( Pacific Northwest). A lot of the local street racers had installed some "options" onto their cars, and a cut-out switch to the tail lights was not that uncommon, for they were used at the drag strip to not be accused of ..sandbagging...when dialed in for bracket racing.  I do take credit for having the first ...flip down license plate...in our circle, which was a 9 ft. choke cable secured right next to my driver's seat, running under the carpet along the tunnel, out into the trunk, and through a 3/8" hole in my rear valance to a spring loaded plate bracket . Cable pulled out, plate was upright...cable pushed in, plate went horizontal.
Now if you are calling BS as to if my car was capable of outrunning the law, know that it was at the time equipped with the before mentioned 427 side oiler, was running a 3:91 Traction Lok, consistently turning 12.6 quarter mile times at 119 mph on street tires with open headers. Shifting the car at 7000 rpm,I went thru the traps at 4800 rpm, means it was easily capable of pegging the speedometer.I knew ( and still know) my car, I knew my streets, and I knew that  those blue lights were far enough back to give me a good chance of getting away, for that was a state patrol behind me, and they were not as forgiving as the local police who for the most part knew most of us and tolerated us...and as 2112 so stated, the penalty was not as severe as it is nowadays. So be careful who you call BS  on, ...kid.... 8)

all those mods were / are popular.....what no brake lights....hmmm
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

I know Wedgeman well.  He is not a liar!

My brother outran cops twice.  Once in his 69 Corvette and once in his 66 Shelby back in the day.   This world we live in today makes that nearly impossible, I agree.  Back then, things were a little different.

Jon

Helicopter (virtually)always wins......Only way out is to make like a mole...Out of sight,out of mind.

Wedgeman

deathsled

I don't call bs on any of these stories. They are plausible and things were different back then quite true. And the Wedgman story made me tense as if I was living it. Memories like that don't fade!

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Dkutz

Quote from: Wedgeman on March 13, 2018, 08:31:53 PM
To Dkutz....my first question to you would be to ask how old you are, for if you are under 60 you will have no comprehension as to how it was on the street around 45 years ago, in my part of the country ( Pacific Northwest). A lot of the local street racers had installed some "options" onto their cars, and a cut-out switch to the tail lights was not that uncommon, for they were used at the drag strip to not be accused of ..sandbagging...when dialed in for bracket racing.  I do take credit for having the first ...flip down license plate...in our circle, which was a 9 ft. choke cable secured right next to my driver's seat, running under the carpet along the tunnel, out into the trunk, and through a 3/8" hole in my rear valance to a spring loaded plate bracket . Cable pulled out, plate was upright...cable pushed in, plate went horizontal.
Now if you are calling BS as to if my car was capable of outrunning the law, know that it was at the time equipped with the before mentioned 427 side oiler, was running a 3:91 Traction Lok, consistently turning 12.6 quarter mile times at 119 mph on street tires with open headers. Shifting the car at 7000 rpm,I went thru the traps at 4800 rpm, means it was easily capable of pegging the speedometer.I knew ( and still know) my car, I knew my streets, and I knew that  those blue lights were far enough back to give me a good chance of getting away, for that was a state patrol behind me, and they were not as forgiving as the local police who for the most part knew most of us and tolerated us...and as 2112 so stated, the penalty was not as severe as it is nowadays. So be careful who you call BS  on, ...kid.... 8)

The flip down license plate seemed too James Bond for me.  I am only 46 so I guess I just don't know how it was.  I always think I grew up in the wrong era.  Very cool car BTW

Wedgeman

I tried to figure out a way to make the license plate rotate ala... GOLDFINGER...but did not want to hack up the car, so I had to go the economy route with the choke cable...LOL!!.... ::)

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

s2ms

I've heard the Wedgeman tell that story at least a half a dozen times. If it was a fabrication there would be inconsistencies and embellishments, there has never been either. Still love hearing it!

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

R Code

Quote from: vtgt500 on March 14, 2018, 11:11:27 AM
I call BS

^ X2
[/quote]

LMFAO.  I know this was not directed at me, but I'll be 52 this year, and told the 3 mildest stories that came to mind over a lifetime of messing with all kinds of mechanized monstrosities. 

If you are calling BS over the relatively tame stuff posted so far in this thread, you aren't ready for any of this.
- Chris