News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SAAC 45 and the current world insanity

Started by JayTalbott, March 17, 2020, 04:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: Don Johnston on March 18, 2020, 03:21:30 PM
Hopefully SAAC45l will go ahead as planned.  These events take a lot of planning and volunteer hours.  However, I would not be surprised if the politicians and health officials pull the plug.  Hawaii relies on tourism as its primary economic resource but the government is discouraging visitors and has already closed the Arizona Memorial, all entertainment venues (shows, movie theaters, luaus, hiking trails like Diamond Head and such), asked for bars and restaurants to close with only take out service for restaurants.  Schools (government and private) are extending spring break.  As of today, 14 cases Statewide, no deaths.  Cruise ships have to have disembarking passengers health screened.  More edicts forthcoming.  The hope is that this will all be rescinded beyond 30 days, but no guarantee. 8)

Dude! The ENTIRE MARRIOTT HOTEL CHAIN has furloughed ALL of it's employees. ALL! Others to follow shortly. Where are tourists going to stay? You CAN NOT sleep on the beach.

When is reality going to hit? When Martial Law is declared? You can't go anywhere until this clears.  :o

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

rkm

Jay,will Indy let us camp overnight in the pits? Won't be the first time I've slept next to a vehicle in a trailer!

kim

JayTalbott

Jay Talbott
SAAC Board of Directors
SAAC Membership Director

Side-Oilers

Hopefully SAAC45l will go ahead as planned.  These events take a lot of planning and volunteer hours.  However, I would not be surprised if the politicians and health officials pull the plug.  Hawaii relies on tourism as its primary economic resource but the government is discouraging visitors and has already closed the Arizona Memorial, all entertainment venues (shows, movie theaters, luaus, hiking trails like Diamond Head and such), asked for bars and restaurants to close with only take out service for restaurants.  Schools (government and private) are extending spring break.  As of today, 14 cases Statewide, no deaths.  Cruise ships have to have disembarking passengers health screened.  More edicts forthcoming.  The hope is that this will all be rescinded beyond 30 days, but no guarantee. 8)

Not discounting the problem...just the hysteria. 

Where in America could the air possibly be cleaner than on a hiking trail to Diamond Head (or in Fl Keys, or Alaska wilderness, etc?)  It's surrounded by ocean and usually windy as hell.

Or, if Coronavirus really is truly hysterically bad (worse than the Black Plague, in other words) we're all screwed anyway.  A hike or two isn't going to make any difference.

All just my opinion. Others should certainly believe and act as they see fit.  No judgment on wanting to protect one's family.

Be well everyone, and I hope you will still try and have some fun.

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Chris Thauberger

Education is key.

Straight from the CDC web site:

How COVID-19  Spreads
Person-to-person spread

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
    Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
Can someone spread the virus without being sick?

People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
    Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

Spread from contact with contaminated surfaces or objects

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
How easily the virus spreads

How easily a virus spreads from person-to-person can vary. Some viruses are highly contagious (spread easily), like measles, while other viruses do not spread as easily. Another factor is whether the spread is sustained, spreading continually without stopping.

The virus that causes COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community ("community spread") in some affected geographic areas.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/transmission.html
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Side-Oilers

I don't discount any of those facts.  Just trying to maintain my sense of balance and feel like a human, not a petri dish.

We all gotta do what we gotta do.

All the best to you and everyone.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

67 GT350

The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful.
RARE  Signature Delete

oldcanuck

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 18, 2020, 03:43:45 PM

Dude! The ENTIRE MARRIOTT HOTEL CHAIN has furloughed ALL of it's employees. ALL! Others to follow shortly. Where are tourists going to stay? You CAN NOT sleep on the beach.

When is reality going to hit? When Martial Law is declared? You can't go anywhere until this clears.  :o

Good thing I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express.......;)
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

67 GT350

This conversation is borderline funny, but it is serious. I don't know any of the peeps commenting here, but if I were to guess, I would say the average age is 10 years old. DO you remember the days when you would ask you mother if you could go out and play, and she said no, then you would ask you father and he would say yes? In reading this, it seems like this is the case. LOL
RARE  Signature Delete

The Going Thing

You better be careful. Angry liberals aren't very nice. They'll probably boot you too.

dmb496

Quote from: 67 GT350 on March 18, 2020, 07:41:51 PM
This conversation is borderline funny, but it is serious. I don't know any of the peeps commenting here, but if I were to guess, I would say the average age is 10 years old. DO you remember the days when you would ask you mother if you could go out and play, and she said no, then you would ask you father and he would say yes? In reading this, it seems like this is the case. LOL

Yep. 

Click on the Gif below.

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 18, 2020, 03:43:45 PM

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 18, 2020, 07:21:24 AM
It's too early to make a call on the Convention but it more likely is going to be shut down before hand.
The guidance of some states of blocking meetings of people of more then 10 is likely to be a national one once the Feds create a national standardized policy. At this moment they have not.

San Francisco is already shut down completely and NYC MAY follow shortly?

Everyone needs to consider that unless the situation turns around very quickly, then restaurants will be closed except for take out.

Some hotels have already furloughed their employees and then there will be the question of lack of hotels facilities. Yesterday is was Marriott.

The track itself will likely be closed such as other sporting facilities have been and even camp grounds likely will be restricted.

So everyone can attempt to be positive since there is a little time still to make a call but at some point everyone will need to face the reality that the decision will be, that it won't be our decision, the decision will already have been made for us.

At some point it's just going to be irresponsible to think that this can still be held despite the current situation? It may be "possible" to reschedule the Convention for later in the year though...maybe?

Predicting what is going to happen is in many ways self defeating. It is just unknown how deadly the virus is or will be. There simply is no data that scientifically proves that this is "just" another flu infection no matter how much you hold your breath in protest and try to spin this. The current status in other countries such as China, Italy and South Korea would indicate otherwise.
Shelbydoug has a excellent insight on what's going on.  Many people are just brushing this off as a bad flu.....it'll pass in a few months, but this is historic!  As big as it get's in the past 100 years.  This is way bigger than "the great recession" and way bigger than many other significantly bad events in the previous 100 years.  I hope we only wind up in a major recession, cause that is already here.  I just hope we don't slide into depression.  When you shit can the global oil industry, you destroy the airlines, hotels, travel industry and you virtually shut down the entire world economy for who knows how long, I just can't see any other out come other than a depression.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but this is catastrophically bad on so many levels, I just don't see an alternative outcome.

F#ck, I can't wait till summer gets here so I can go drive my cars and enjoy the simpler things in life.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Bigfoot

Everything is F@rked up right now and the Virus is real and peeps need to just hibernate a few weeks so the medical community can deal.
Look at Italy,.. hundreds more Dead today.
How could that not "ring the bell."
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Don Johnston

Counties are instituting curfew hours from 9 PM to 5 AM start this weekend.  Visiting cruise ships on way back to home ports (for 30 day shut down) are not being allowed to have passengers disembark.  Spring break vacationers at least do not have a 14 day quarantine as other Pacific region locations have.  Businesses, especially small ones, are starting to hurt and we are only in the early stages. 8)

stephen_becker

Cancel it - The lawyers will be licking their chops & coming after SAAC & it's board if someone goes and gets sick (or worse) dies. Not worth it