News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

NO RADIO

Started by papa scoops, March 17, 2020, 09:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papa scoops

if a car came without a radio, what , if anything filled the dash speaker hole? (not talking about the block off radio plate) would be same as falcon, or poss all fords? the speaker by he defrost vents. couldn't imagine  a big hole, but I never did pdi.s or radios until the later 60's. thanks, Phred

J_Speegle

If  a car (in the example a non- Mustang) was ordered without a radio a radio delete plate made for that application would fill that void just like in a Mustang.  I've had ones from Fairlanes, Torinos, and other model Fords. Might still have a few. They did this as far back as into the late 30's on Ford cars.

As far as the speaker hole it would depend on the year and model. In some cases a filler/plate helps support full large dash pads across the opening on others the filler was a rubber pad  like in 67-8 Mustang application
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

papa scoops

what about a 66 in particular? thanks, fred

CharlesTurner

Keep in mind that a radio was an option.  Unless the dealer checked the box for a radio, the car would have come without one.

Haven't seen anything originally used to cover the speaker hole under the grille.  On heater delete cars, there were usually thin cardboard fillers on each side, maybe because the slots made it easier to see through?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: papa scoops on March 17, 2020, 09:31:41 PM
what about a 66 in particular? thanks, fred

No I've not found or seen a radio delete car with a filler in place of a speaker or a plate/board covering the hole on a 65-66
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

+1 nothing covering the speaker hole.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

mygt350

Cant hear damn thing anyway!
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967