Author Topic: GT500 carb heater tube  (Read 2725 times)

nwfire

• View Profile
GT500 carb heater tube
« on: March 18, 2020, 01:32:15 PM »
Putting the dual quads back on my GT500.  Where does the carb heater tube go on the passengers side of the engine and is this a two piece heater tube connected together by a flex/vaccum type hose?  Anyone have pictures where it is affixed on the engine/exhaust on the passenger side??
Thanks.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: GT500 carb heater tube
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 01:58:50 PM »
Putting the dual quads back on my GT500.  Where does the carb heater tube go on the passengers side of the engine and is this a two piece heater tube connected together by a flex/vaccum type hose?  Anyone have pictures where it is affixed on the engine/exhaust on the passenger side??
Thanks.
First off I hope you are familiar with where the choke furnace on the passenger exhaust manifold is located. A short metal tube comes off of the lower choke furnace port on the exhaust manifold . There is a short cylinder shaped metal screen that keeps debris from entering and blocking the fresh airflow. The upper port on the choke furnace is for the insulated choke tube that connects to the automatic choke on the carb.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 03:08:37 PM »
To help (hopefully) illustrate

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

nwfire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 11:07:54 PM »
Thanks Bob & Jeff.  So is the tube that goes from the exhaust to the carb just a press in fit at the exhaust end??  My tube won't fit the hole in the top of the exhaust manifold but there appears to be a metal insert or tube that's been cut off in the hole itself.
Terry

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 11:40:03 PM »
Thanks Bob & Jeff.  So is the tube that goes from the exhaust to the carb just a press in fit at the exhaust end??  My tube won't fit the hole in the top of the exhaust manifold but there appears to be a metal insert or tube that's been cut off in the hole itself.
Terry
Both tubes the short one with the filter and the long insulated one to the automatic choke press fit into the ports on the choke furnace portion of the exhaust manifold. It sounds like a tube is broke off inside the port. It is a common occurrence .You will have to drill it out. Of course test fit the tube into a test hole using donor material to confirm best drill size to use. It should be a little snug. This is because I have found some of the tubes sold vary in size from one to another . Something to consider is if the chock furnace needs to be rebuilt . You should be able to freely blow air from the lower hole to the upper. If air does not EASILY flow then the action needed for the automatic choke to work will not happen. If it is clogged then it is not practical to fix/rebuild the choke furnace on the car. NPD sells the rebuild kits for the choke furnace.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

nwfire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 11:01:55 PM »
Any idea where you can find the small filter for the top of the lower tube ???

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 11:27:19 PM »
Falcon part # I think not unique to 67 gt500 from what I remember.

DC-DD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 07:40:07 AM »

Ed is correct it is Falcon part however I have never seen one on a falcon .  Jeff's pictures he posted are great reference just do not go by the first picture as the filter is not the right one it is to long . 

Dominic

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 10:12:59 AM »
Know where u can get the tube for the screen? Anyone

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 11:30:05 AM »
Know where u can get the tube for the screen? Anyone
It is typically sold as part of a set of two which consists of the short tube and the long insulated tube by the various brake and fuel line providers. You may be able to buy it separate but you will have to ask.

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 02:07:19 PM »
Thanks Bob, if that's the case I may have one somewhere

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 01:19:39 AM »
The choke filter showed to be used on the Falcon Sprint and also Lincoln. I have the part number and it is shown in the 1967 Osborn engine assembly manual. You likely won't find one. Bob Gaines had some at one time.