Author Topic: replacing fuel sender  (Read 4998 times)

GT500-0314

• View Profile
replacing fuel sender
« on: March 05, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure my fuel sender needs to be replaced.
1. Is it possible to remove the sender without dropping the tank?
    I'm thinking the transverse muffler would prevent that option?
2. Does the tail panel have to be removed in order to remove the fuel filler?
    I remember replacing the sending unit many years ago and I couldn't remove
    the tank because of the fuel filler being in the way.
thanks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: replacing fuel sender
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 02:54:29 PM »
thanks
Yes ,you should be able to wrangle it out past the transverse most of the time. Yes the tail panel has to be removed to fuel filler neck. However the fuel filler neck does not have to be removed to get the gas tank out. You will most likely sacrifice the time hardened rubber gas hose between the filler neck and the tank to get the tank out though. There is a SA TSB on just such a circumstance. Hopefully you will not have to learn first hand.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 02:57:46 PM »
thanks
Yes ,you should be able to wrangle it out past the transverse most of the time. Yes the tail panel has to be removed to fuel filler neck. However the fuel filler neck does not have to be removed to get the gas tank out. You will most likely sacrifice the time hardened rubber gas hose between the filler neck and the tank to get the tank out though. There is a SA TSB on just such a circumstance. Hopefully you will not have to learn first hand.
If you are unfortunate enough to not be able to get the sender out past the transverse you would only have to move the gas tank a little (easier said then done ) and not completely out.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT500-0314

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 02:59:50 PM »
Bob,
    As always, thanks for your help! I remember 15-20 years
ago finding it easier to remove the tank and having to remove
the tail light panel for easier access, just wasn't trusting my memory    :P

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
  Ah, safety tip:  use a brass punch to loosen the retainer ring.  This is not the place to make sparks by using a steel punch.

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »
  Ah, safety tip:  use a brass punch to loosen the retainer ring.  This is not the place to make sparks by using a steel punch.
Punch? They make a special tool to remove/install the lock ring.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

GT500-0314

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 09:49:35 PM »
Finally got around to replacing the fuel sender today,
got tired of using the trip odometer to figure out my fuel level  :-)
Was able to remove it without much fuss. Kept the rubber o-ring in place
using a little grease to hold it in place. Bought the Scott Drake repo as I don't
think NOS is available anymore? Any who, all is good again!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 06:47:36 AM »
You mean you are not suppose to use a 1/2 inch drill to get the fuel out of the tank? I will admit to that.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
NOS are still around.  I got one a while back on ebay.  They are generally in the $200-$250 range.  Please report back on how the Scott Drake one works, once you run it for a while.  My car has a repro in it and isn't very accurate, only goes up to about 5/8 full.  I haven't had a chance to install the NOS one yet.  I hate using gas as deodorant!!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 10:14:34 AM »
I think the '67's have a drain plug...no drilling required
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 01:05:09 PM »
NOS are still around.  I got one a while back on ebay.  They are generally in the $200-$250 range.  Please report back on how the Scott Drake one works, once you run it for a while.  My car has a repro in it and isn't very accurate, only goes up to about 5/8 full.  I haven't had a chance to install the NOS one yet.  I hate using gas as deodorant!!
NOS 68  3/8 senders are still around and sell for $200.-$250 range but not the C7 5/16 outlet. Those are extremely hard to find NOS and if you find one for less then 400.00 you got a deal.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:54:18 PM by Bob Gaines »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »
NOS 68  3/8 senders are still around and sell for $200.-$250 range but not the C7 5/16 outlet. Those are extremely hard to find NOS and if you find one for less then 400.00 you got a deal.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:54:51 PM by Bob Gaines »

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »
Yup.  Mine is a 68.  I guess I didn't look close enough at what year the post was in.  I'll bet that 15/16" outlet will really flow some fuel!   ;)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »
Yup.  Mine is a 68.  I guess I didn't look close enough at what year the post was in.  I'll bet that 5/16" outlet will really flow some fuel!   ;)
I wasn't trying to put you down for your post  I figured you were talking 68 lingo. In response to your 5/16 remark. Yes,the 3/8 will flow more fuel but it is up to each owner to decide which technology upgrade makes sense for each owner . Regardless of if 15/16 or 3/8 a engine will not see a difference when pleasure driving heck you probably couldn't tell the difference if you took that stock street car and flocked it on the open track between the two. A modern smaller displacement engine will run circles around the CJ engine but does that technology up grade make sense to change to  ;). To some it might others not . Upgrades are up to each owner.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:55:53 PM by Bob Gaines »

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 01:46:14 PM »
I think you meant a 5/16" on the C7, not 15/16" as that is almost an inch.

NOS 68  3/8 senders are still around and sell for $200.-$250 range but not the C7 15/16 outlet. Those are extremely hard to find NOS and if you find one for less then 400.00 you got a deal.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339