News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 GT350 Carburetor Plumbing

Started by Corey Bowcutt, March 19, 2020, 09:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

The tilt hose looks correct.

You have the wrong thermostat housing

You should have a vacuum tree.

Your distributor vacuum advance should be a dual style, not the single type

Coralsnake

You need to study this page:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/GT350a

If you can not use the choke tubes because of headers, you can cap those two lines. I have used a vacuum cap on the tube. You can use a brass cap to close off the threaded connection

Once you start changing things ie., headers, it becomes slippery slope

CharlesTurner

The choke 'chamber' on the exhaust manifold allows carb vacuum to pull hot air up into the thermostatic coil on the carb.  The thermostatic coil is how the choke/butterfly plate on the carb opens and closes.

With headers, it might be best to convert to a manual or electric choke.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Pete.  I have been to your site one million times but there are still pages I have not seen and this is one of them.  This answers all the questions but does bring up one more for me.  I have electronic ignition so is the vacuum advance even needed at this point?

If anyone has the correct thermostat housing or vacuum advance let me know.

Thank you so much Pete

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Charles.  I do have the electric choke off the carb that is on the car now that if worst comes to worst I can use I presume.  But that is why I was thinking about wrapping the metal tube around one of the header tubes so it would continue to draw hot air.  But this was just a wild thought.

Corey Bowcutt

Two more questions occurred to me Pete.

1) does the cast iron thermostat housing with the tree work on the aluminum cobra intake manifold?

2) Do I need to have the hose going to the side of the carb that goes to this thermostat tree?  I currently do not have a fitting in the carb for the hose but I am sure I can get one somewhere.

Corey

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on March 20, 2020, 11:13:44 AM
Thank you Charles.  I do have the electric choke off the carb that is on the car now that if worst comes to worst I can use I presume.  But that is why I was thinking about wrapping the metal tube around one of the header tubes so it would continue to draw hot air.  But this was just a wild thought.

Without the vacuum draw, I don't believe the choke will work as designed... or at least be as effective, which will end up causing the carb to run rich.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Chris Thauberger

Posted this on another thread for Milo, thought you might like to have a look.

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Special Ed

Chris in your photo the washer spacer goes on the inside of smog pump adjusting bracket bolt unless u have a/c then its not used.

Coralsnake

A small block is different and now we are off on a tangent...

The subject car is a 302.

Chris Thauberger

Thanks Ed. I think you or Bob might've mentioned that the first time around. I should explain this picture above and some other ones I posted on another thread were originally posted for all of you to critique before I installed the motor. There are more than likely a few errors in some of the photos.

Pete, sorry my bad I should've noticed that :-\
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

shelbydoug

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on March 20, 2020, 12:19:35 PM

My 302 doesn't look like that? I like all the striped hoses but I must have screwed up?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Krelboyne

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 20, 2020, 01:26:07 PM
Quote from: Chris Thauberger on March 20, 2020, 12:19:35 PM

My 302 doesn't look like that? I like all the striped hoses but I must have screwed up?

No, they slipped in a GT-500 photo.   ::)
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

CharlesTurner

Let's get us back on track here...  ;D ;D

Correct '68 GT350 4sp setup...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake