Author Topic: 289 fuel pump options ?  (Read 2438 times)

jk66gt350

• View Profile
289 fuel pump options ?
« on: March 20, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
So I sent my original 4201 pump to Fred Ballard in November to get restored / rebuilt.  Long story short, his machine broke, took till early March to get a fix in place with some continued challenges.  He has not gotten mine rebuilt yet and the guy that does his crimping is not well and he's not sure about being able to get the plating done given the lockdown in California.  Sooooo, despite Fred's best efforts, he is not in a position to commit when I will get my pump back.   Now I'm thinking about a temporary solution as I would like to get the car on the road again in the next month.  All that said, 1) does anyone have a good used non original pump that they know works and would do the job, that they would sell, or 2) given there are many pumps out there that you can buy new (Holley, Edelbrock, Carter etc.) that would fit, and would do the job, any recommendations on which might be the best temporary solution.  Occasional street use only.   Thanks, John

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 289 fuel pump options ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »
So I sent my original 4201 pump to Fred Ballard in November to get restored / rebuilt.  Long story short, his machine broke, took till early March to get a fix in place with some continued challenges.  He has not gotten mine rebuilt yet and the guy that does his crimping is not well and he's not sure about being able to get the plating done given the lockdown in California.  Sooooo, despite Fred's best efforts, he is not in a position to commit when I will get my pump back.   Now I'm thinking about a temporary solution as I would like to get the car on the road again in the next month.  All that said, 1) does anyone have a good used non original pump that they know works and would do the job, that they would sell, or 2) given there are many pumps out there that you can buy new (Holley, Edelbrock, Carter etc.) that would fit, and would do the job, any recommendations on which might be the best temporary solution.  Occasional street use only.   Thanks, John
A used button top pump hipo or otherwise would not be advisable as the internal rubber diagram might give out when you are on the road some place. A restored non hipo button top pump may be a higher price alternative. Fred may have one ready or from others on this forum. ;) The next alternative is going to be the carter clam shell style that summit ,jegs etc. sells over the other makes.  The least expensive is going to be a auto parts store variety replacement for a  66-70 Mustang 289,302,351. I hope this helps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 05:13:44 PM »
Thanks - solid advice as always Bob. 

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »
John,

Were you successful in finding a fuel pump???

All the best.

Steve
SFM 6S406

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 12:33:32 PM »
Not yet.  I don't plan on getting the car out until mid April so this week I'll start looking at options Bob Suggested at auto parts stores and Summit etc.  Looks like at least a few good pretty low cost options for a temporary solution. 

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 02:33:21 PM »
John,

Good.  Best thing to do.  I ran one on my car for years until I finally bit the bullet and purchased a few from Fred.  I tried looking for it this afternoon but apparently I tossed the old one.  It did work very well even at a higher rpm so not to worry.  First picture is after restoration in 2011 and second picture is today after a LOT of assistance from club members.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 04:19:36 PM »
John,

Good.  Best thing to do.  I ran one on my car for years until I finally bit the bullet and purchased a few from Fred.  I tried looking for it this afternoon but apparently I tossed the old one.  It did work very well even at a higher rpm so not to worry.  First picture is after restoration in 2011 and second picture is today after a LOT of assistance from club members.

Cheers,

Steve
FYI in the today picture I see a silver circle on the front of the master. The only spot that is unpainted on the master are the threaded ports where the brake lines go in because of the plugs used while it was painted. Everything else including that circle are supposed to be painted black also.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 06:55:52 PM »
Thanks Bob.  That is just the camera angle reflection.  My master is indeed entirely painted black as you indicate.  One issue I do have that was not illustrated in the photograph is the disk brake proportioning valve.  I have not painted it.  It is currently finished au natural!  Some day when I get the talent to disassemble all the brake lines from all the "stuff" and not booger everything up!  LOL!

Thank you again for taking the time to assist me.

All the best and stay safe,

Steve
SFM 6S406

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 03:54:53 PM »
I picked up a fuel pump from Napa - higher flow rate supposedly spec'd for K code engines.  Super cheap - about $50.  Just installed it and took the old gal for her 1st springtime rip.  Runs great!  I might just leave this one on and put the original in the drawer to keep it nice and fresh after I get it back from Fred.  Despite all the chaos in the world, all seems right again - at least for today.  Covid 19 therapy indeed.