Author Topic: Coronavirus anxiety therapy  (Read 28002 times)

67BoB

• View Profile
Re: Coronavirus anxiety therapy
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2020, 08:15:35 PM »
Hi Side Oilers, Rotorua, New Zealand.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2020, 10:02:42 PM »
Have fun down there...NZ is definitely South of the Equator. 

What do you have in the garage?
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

67BoB

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2020, 11:28:03 PM »
I am not in the league as most on here, there is a '83 V12 XJS and then two project 67 fastbacks.
One going back as original S code GT 4 speed, Dark moss green deluxe parchment interior.
The other I am collecting parts to make a GT500 clone(tribute), in the pile of treasure are version 6 10 spokes, deluxe seats, tilt steering, NOS dash with rebuilt 8k tach 140 speedo, real roll bar and inboard lights.
Just the fibre glass to get, but have talked to Jim Cowles about after market.
The jewel under the hood(bonnet) which I am saving for a 427 tunnel port.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2020, 12:42:47 AM »
You might reconsider the TP heads for street use.

67BoB

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2020, 12:48:43 AM »
I know they are not the best for that but sure will look cool, may even surprise some at the lights.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2020, 01:14:11 AM »
I decided to run Edelbrocks that were done by Keith Black. Slight port work, 2.25 int 1.75 exhaust.  You'll lose most of the bottom end without steep gears. They just lack the velocity at lower RPM.  I originally considered a couple of options head-wise. I started with a nice set of C6AE-R. CJ valves, spring cups. Bowl clean up.  The issue is also you have few header choices with those heads.
I'd suggest joining the FE Power Forum. Then make your choices.

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2020, 10:27:05 AM »
I'm putting an aluminum 490 inch TP in my project car fully understanding that it's not going to be the ideal cruising motor. But it should go like hell when I wind it up!
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

67BoB

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2020, 03:09:40 AM »
That sounds impressive, what are you putting it in?

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2020, 12:54:29 PM »
Many of us are running 427 based engines.  It's that there are too many better options than TP heads and they make more power and run better.
It's why I suggested you went and ran you build by Barry Robotnic, Blair Patrick, Brent Lykins or Jay Brown. They're all in the forum and not only offer lots of free dyno-proven advice about combinations and components but will actually do your build if you so choose. Sure,  Hi riser and TP heads were cool in the day. They just don't run well on street engines. I have read about every FE build book out there. There is always more to learn technology always changes and it's why I consulted the best FE builders in the world.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:14:08 PM by The Going Thing »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2020, 02:07:41 PM »
Many of us are running 427 based engines.  It's that there are too many better options than TP heads and they make more power and run better.
It's why I suggested you went and ran you build by Barry Robotnic, Blair Patrick, Brent Lykins or Jay Brown. They're all in the forum and not only offer lots of free dyno-proven advice about combinations and components but will actually do your build if you so choose. Sure,  Hi riser and TP heads were cool in the day. They just don't run well on street engines. I have read about every FE build book out there. There is always more to learn technology always changes and it's why I consulted the best FE builders in the world.

Knowing what you know about the Edelbrock heads now, would you have picked a different head?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2020, 02:22:17 PM »

A 68 S code fastback that rusted beyond repair. Now I'm in the process of rebuilding it on an Art Morrison Max-G chassis. After sitting for 10 years (2009-2019) I finally got started in earnest last year and with all the time I have now it's making real progress. Here's a couple pictures with the motor mocked up using my original 390 block until I get the aluminum side oiler TP.

That sounds impressive, what are you putting it in?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:24:49 PM by kjspeed »
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

67BoB

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »
I do have a 428 from a 67 Tbird and have some GT heads with a C7ZX dual quad inlet manifold, and leave the TP on an engine stand looking cool

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2020, 06:20:17 PM »
Doug: Yes, I would have run something different. Just nothing off the shelf from Ford.  In hindsight, I would have ran the FElony heads with the CNC work from Barry Robotnic.  Blue Thunder is hit and miss and waiting a year for heads and six-plus months for them to be done was problematic.
Now my Edelbrock heads aren't out of the box.  Keith Black did the port work and Charlies Machine did the spring and valve change. 2.25 X 1.75 will also clear the 4.155 bores or larger. It also runs better on the 427 4.230 bore because the block no longer requires to unshroud the exhaust valves.

rmarble57

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2020, 06:22:06 PM »
Well, I decided to go a different route than driving around.  Nothing but swampy weather here in Texas lately so I decided to tear into the engine to discover what I really had.  When I purchased the car, it came with documentation from a rebuild in 1999 and a cam card, but the history past then was sparce so my curiosity got the best of met.  Discovered a few things that were less than desirable on the heads and so up next is a new cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers, hardened valve seats etc.  Had the headers ceramic coated and will take the time to flow the Webers to get a bit better even distribution and a couple of detail items in the engine compartment.

For me, staying at home working in the shop is therapy and keeps me from thinking about what's going on all around us, but the one thing that I do miss is driving to local events and hanging out with like minded people.

1967 GT350 #23

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2020, 08:54:24 PM »
Well, I decided to go a different route than driving around.  Nothing but swampy weather here in Texas lately so I decided to tear into the engine to discover what I really had.  When I purchased the car, it came with documentation from a rebuild in 1999 and a cam card, but the history past then was sparce so my curiosity got the best of met.  Discovered a few things that were less than desirable on the heads and so up next is a new cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers, hardened valve seats etc.  Had the headers ceramic coated and will take the time to flow the Webers to get a bit better even distribution and a couple of detail items in the engine compartment.

For me, staying at home working in the shop is therapy and keeps me from thinking about what's going on all around us, but the one thing that I do miss is driving to local events and hanging out with like minded people.

1967 GT350 #23

I'm in the DFW area as well. ( Colleyville).  It's been warm most of the week this week, the peak temperature was 91.  Almost two weeks of rain wasn't helpful.  Flights are cut 50%, so I elected to burn some sick pay and vacation. I miss teaching over at the museum and being involved with school kids that came on field trips. 
Kids really are great for distraction so post the December and January funerals I decided to volunteer two days a week. I got a chuckle out of a nine-year-old asking me if I felt like a king in my uniform. Things kids say....
I built a model of a turbofan so I could use visual aids to explain the Suck-Bang-Blow of Jet turbines.
I do not deal with being idle very well.  I have to keep my mind and hands busy. Only so much you can do in the house. Too cold to swim still, gyms ate closed and I've put on five pounds. Not a positive. I have learned that Starbucks is not my friend this week.
Anyway, I hope the rest of you can find pleasing things to do during these times. Those who are retired, just keep doing what you always do.