Author Topic: Oil pan bolts- RBW and Rockford  (Read 2891 times)

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
Oil pan bolts- RBW and Rockford
« on: March 21, 2020, 01:39:30 AM »
Hi guys , I know we covered this in Forum 1.0 but still wondering about the Rockford marked bolts on the oil pans? Used in 66? Or RBW

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 03:20:09 AM by GT350Lad »
6S373
6S1276

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: Oil pan bolts- RBW and Rockford
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 12:14:05 PM »
Hi guys , I know we covered this in Forum 1.0 but still wondering about the Rockford marked bolts on the oil pans? Used in 66? Or RBW

Cheers

I've mainly seen "RBW" marked bolts used, although I have seen a handful with "Rockford" marked 5/16" bolts on the larger 5/16" corners.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 03:07:41 PM »
Checked the originals on 6S1757. Smaller 1/4" bolts are "Rockford", the larger 5/16" corner bolts are "RBW".
Dave - 6S1757

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »
Thanks guys, from memory my car has a fair few Rockford but I’ll have another look
6S373
6S1276

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 10:21:20 AM »
Checked the originals on 6S1757. Smaller 1/4" bolts are "Rockford", the larger 5/16" corner bolts are "RBW".

Thanks for the info., Dave!

Apparently, both styles were used over the production time...maybe even more!
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
    I'm 99% certain these bolts were ONLY sourced by size and length from a local ( to SAI) industrial hardware supplier. SAI did not act like FoMoCo and "spec" every part. A friend has an original SAI "bill of materials" for '65 and the next time I visit him , I will look at the call out for the bolts.  "My guess" is 1/4 - 20 bolt X/X length , and nothing else.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 08:17:50 PM »
First in the beginning SA did the swaps later in 65 production saw Ford doing the swaps. The black painted intake blunder comes to mind. There may have been a short time after when SA swap out the intakes until they got Ford squared away to do it the unpainted way. But We are talking about oil pans and hardware. After things got ironed at with Ford in very early 66 production and from that time forward in 66 these items were installed by Ford Cleveland engine plant rather then SA. A lot of circumstantial evidence to support that and not a lot for SA doing it.  With that said regardless of if Cleveland plant or if one still believes that SA did the change out, my opinion is that the RBW or the Rockford hardware for the oil pan where supplied as a kit with gaskets and hardware. This is similar to the headers ,gaskets and hardware as well as the valve cover,gaskets and hardware. There was consistency with the hardware that is easier to explain as being supplied by the various mfg's rather then leaving it to SA to source the hardware on there own and the mismatch that would no doubt occur . Just my opinion based on what I have observed and until more definitive evidence suggests other wise. Others may agree (John Brown since you will not post much ;) ) and others may disagree.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 09:28:12 PM »
First in the beginning SA did the swaps later in 65 production saw Ford doing the swaps. The black painted intake blunder comes to mind. There may have been a short time after when SA swap out the intakes until they got Ford squared away to do it the unpainted way. But We are talking about oil pans and hardware. After things got ironed at with Ford in very early 66 production and from that time forward in 66 these items were installed by Ford Cleveland engine plant rather then SA. A lot of circumstantial evidence to support that and not a lot for SA doing it.  With that said regardless of if Cleveland plant or if one still believes that SA did the change out, my opinion is that the RBW or the Rockford hardware for the oil pan where supplied as a kit with gaskets and hardware. This is similar to the headers ,gaskets and hardware as well as the valve cover,gaskets and hardware. There was consistency with the hardware that is easier to explain as being supplied by the various mfg's rather then leaving it to SA to source the hardware on there own and the mismatch that would no doubt occur . Just my opinion based on what I have observed and until more definitive evidence suggests other wise. Others may agree (John Brown since you will not post much ;) ) and others may disagree.   

+1

I talked to John about this exact topic a couple nights ago.  The manufacture of the oil pans provided the hardware and required their hardware to be used with the oil pans.  The oil pan manufacturer would not warranty the oil pans if other hardware was used.  John said this is mentioned in the SAI meeting minutes.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 03:43:02 AM »
Great info. Does that mean that Rockford and RBW where involved with the manufacture of the original cobra oil pans? Didn’t buddy bar make them?
Interesting discussion

6S373
6S1276

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 04:57:50 AM »
Great info. Does that mean that Rockford and RBW where involved with the manufacture of the original cobra oil pans? Didn’t buddy bar make them?
Interesting discussion

No they were just the suppliers of the hardware
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 06:05:45 AM »
Interesting discussion

No they were just the suppliers of the hardware

Thanks Jeff, I suspected the oil pan was supplied with either Rockford, RBW or other combo but wasn’t sure
Cheers
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:26:00 AM by GT350Lad »
6S373
6S1276