Author Topic: 67 GT500 Smog - Question  (Read 3839 times)

rockhouse66

• View Profile
67 GT500 Smog - Question
« on: March 21, 2020, 08:31:40 AM »
I have been contacted by a gentleman from the FE Forum who has the complete original smog setup on a '66 Mercury 428 car. Is any of this appropriate for a '67 GT500 (or other)?  It has the check valves at the front of the tube on both sides (or maybe not - see added photo) and the pump is mounted above the alternator.  Here are some pictures.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 10:36:54 AM by rockhouse66 »

Special Ed

• View Profile
Re: 67 GT500 Smog - Question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »
Some of it is for sure. Does it have the long tube on the lh side as I think that started in 67.

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 09:14:35 AM »
Ed

The PS definitely has the check valve at the front and a short hose to the smog pump.  I have a poor picture of the DS and it looks to me like the metal tube passes across the front like a CJ tube but lower down and I am guessing the check valve is also on the front (like a CJ) closer to the pump.  ???

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 10:35:45 AM »
Looks like a true "Barn Find"... ;D

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 10:48:35 AM »
Ed

The PS definitely has the check valve at the front and a short hose to the smog pump.  I have a poor picture of the DS and it looks to me like the metal tube passes across the front like a CJ tube but lower down and I am guessing the check valve is also on the front (like a CJ) closer to the pump.  ???
That does not look like the tall smog tube needed. I don't see the 289hipo/BB smog air filter can.This set up will not have the correct alternator lower adjusting bracket which is 427/PI unique . It will be good for hoses ,smog pump and a few brackets however. Consider the value accordingly.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 02:10:49 PM »
Not sure if any of the rubber hoses will be usable without some modification also. So figure maybe the pump and some brackets at best
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 03:46:08 PM »
and 1 of the smog tubes and 2 check valves and the clamps.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 04:15:33 PM »
Think you will find that the passenger side tubes will be difficult to impossible to get off in one piece and if I recall correctly location of the check valve attachment point is at the rear on the cars with the tighter engine compartments (Mustangs and Cougars) and in the front end of the head  on applications where the engine compartment doesn't have a shock tower in the way. Though I have seen owners/builders make it work   Just been my experience with the larger Fords and trying to find parts that would interchange

One example - passenger rear by firewall - Believe the angle of the check valve attachment point is at a different angle from the tube also

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 04:19:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 05:23:31 PM »
The guy who has this car got it for the 428 engine.  He will remove the 428 and take it apart so access won't be an issue.  He is just asking if the smog stuff is worth enough $$ to be worth bothering to carefully remove and attempt to sell.  I don't know anything about smog details on cars earlier than 1968 model year.  That is why I am asking questions in his behalf.  I thought some or all of these components might help someone out who has a '67 GT500.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 05:29:33 PM »
The guy who has this car got it for the 428 engine.  He will remove the 428 and take it apart so access won't be an issue.  He is just asking if the smog stuff is worth enough $$ to be worth bothering to carefully remove and attempt to sell.  I don't know anything about smog details on cars earlier than 1968 model year.  That is why I am asking questions in his behalf.  I thought some or all of these components might help someone out who has a '67 GT500.
Some parts will help others will not on a 67 GT500. You got some helpful feed back so you or the guy can evaluate if worth to carefully remove.