Author Topic: 1967 to 1968 production Mustangs with 427 Engine installation.  (Read 17155 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 to 1968 production Mustangs with 427 Engine installation.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 11:05:47 AM »
Hum? I haven't heard tale of any W codes coming up for sale in quite a while? Maybe even the early '80s?

I've SEEN at least one '67 GT500 claim to be all original with a 427. If you look at the car, first off you will see that there is evidence of it being repaired (well, but repared) from the firewall forward.

The late a/c louvered hood on an early '67 right off should be a clue?

Even so, the guy was offered 250 for it but as of 2 years ago was holding out for 350. It's a very nice car, but hardly and original one.

Just for the sake of discussion though, I'd want to see the casting dates on the engine. It was wrecked early on (at the dealer before it was sold new) and it is possible that it has a '67 427 "crate" engine in it?

It's an interesting car but still was done with smoke and mirrors from what I can tell?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 11:35:59 AM »
Doug, I agree with you. No shortage of cars who replaced the 428, usually after failures with 427s. I am running one now as well.
I have a service block that is a thick-wall 428 as well. I think what I don't like is the removal of the export brace and cutting the Panduit tie warps every time I service valves. I found about 10 of the older nylon ones that show their age. I even have a Panduit gun that pulls them tight and cuts them.
I am happy with the change thus far.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 11:49:18 AM »
The mistery of the W Code, if somebody will find one that will maybe a million dollar baby ;-) maybe somewhere in mexico its sitting and waiting for bj or mecum  ;D kevin marti will verify it  ::)
A couple of years ago I heard firsthand from Kevin at the Cougar nationals on his trek to Mexico to see the 2nd Bullitt car. Now if you are saying this is all a fairy tale please explain as this is the first I have heard about it. I find it odd that Kevin would spin a tail that could hurt his credibility in the industry. Gary
Gary ,not sure what Kent meant but if I were to guess it was that the numbers were verified by Kevin. I am confident of that also. The rest of the car body not so much at least based on some portions of the car that got photographed and published.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2020, 11:55:24 AM »
Doug, I agree with you. No shortage of cars who replaced the 428, usually after failures with 427s. I am running one now as well.
I have a service block that is a thick-wall 428 as well. I think what I don't like is the removal of the export brace and cutting the Panduit tie warps every time I service valves. I found about 10 of the older nylon ones that show their age. I even have a Panduit gun that pulls them tight and cuts them.

When the 427 was new, it was a hard line 6,500 rpm engine. Valve springs were the issue. The rest of the engine was good probably with Lemans rods to 8,000 or so.

The CJ was similar with maybe a 6000 rpm limit.

Today we can build a real 8,000 rpm 7.

The problem with it is it is still a high maintenance engine.

At the moment my main concentration is on the 347. It's being a PITA like the 427. I've adjusted the valves three times and it keeps twisting up the carb linkage. I thought I'd be done with this last Ausgust? Oh, great big silly boy that I am?

There is "billiance" in the concept of a 428cj street car that can be driven every day. A 427 is really a race engine and you need to own one to realize what that means.

Actually, believe it or not but my Pantera with the Webers by comparison to my two other engines is virtually maintenance free?

It's my own fault. I created this situation. I need my own pit crew and team of mechanics. I need to be like a F! driver and just jump in and drive them...and stop complaining. I can't even stand to hear myself now too. I wish I'd just shut up?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 12:01:53 PM »
Are the voices arguing, Doug?  ;D

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »

You need to understand Keith. When the voices in my head say "kill him", I'm such a stubborn sob that I say no and tell them to FO.

I'm not sure what personality number i'm up to but when they all start up, you can't hardly hear a thing?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 12:20:18 PM »
Wow really bad information regarding 1968 W code 427 engines.

The 1968 W code 427 is a side oiler 427. It is unlike a 390 in nearly every respect except that the 427 shares a cast crankshaft with the 390.

The cylinder heads in the 427 for 1968 are the C8AE 6090-J head. Valve sizes and port design are the same as 428CJ and 427 Low Riser.

The intake on the 1968 W code 427 is shared with the W code 1967 Fairlane 427 and also with 1967 and early 1968 428 PI engines. It was also used, along with the cylinder heads on the 135 series 428CJ cars.

Connecting rods are the 13/32" type used in the 428CJ.

The 428CJ is a cheaper way to achieve the same cubic inches. The side oiler 427 was a costly and time consuming engine to build. It was necessary for Ford to build enough of them to homologate the 427 for competition in NASCAR and NHRA.

The 1968 427 is rated at 390 horsepower, which is higher than the Boss 429 that was used the following year to homologate that engine.

There likely would have been a lot more 427's built in 1968 model year had it not been for the strike. Ford and Mercury had planned to offer the 427 in a variety of models including the Mustang and Shelby. It never happened of course.

The 428CJ was under development at the time, and was rushed into production at midyear due to the lack of performance engines to use in other product lines.

Thanks Royce - glad you're here for this discussion this time.

The "W code 427 Mustang" discussion crops up here on a regular basis and It takes the same arc every time -

• Did they make any W code Mustangs?
• No, no W code Mustangs as per Marti
• Really, so-and-so saw a W code Mustang at a show once
• No, no W code Mustangs, only Cougars.
• Well the '68 W code 427 sucked anyway.....

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
   Should have posted this question on April 1st, eh?

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 01:08:26 PM »

You need to understand Keith. When the voices in my head say "kill him", I'm such a stubborn sob that I say no and tell them to FO.

I'm not sure what personality number i'm up to but when they all start up, you can't hardly hear a thing?

Thanks for the laugh guys (intentional or not) ;D
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 01:42:00 PM »
It was absolutely intended as humor.  Doug knew it too.  Too many people with sandpaper wedgies way up there.  A laugh and smile here and there is good for the soul!  Carry on!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »
It was absolutely intended as humor.  Doug knew it too.  Too many people with sandpaper wedgies way up there.  A laugh and smile here and there is good for the soul!  Carry on!

Humor? I'm telling you what the doctor said. Then he said, "get out of my office. I have a gun here in the drawer and who are the Police going to believe? You or me?"

He was right. I just left without saying anything more.

I think he was bluffing though. I could see it in his eyes. Eff'in pussy. :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2020, 02:08:31 PM »

Humor? I'm telling you what the doctor said. Then he said, "get out of my office. I have a gun here in the drawer and who are the Police going to believe? You or me?"

He was right. I just left without saying anything more.

I think he was bluffing though. I could see it in his eyes. Eff'in pussy. :o

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I have been using that term a lot in recent history..

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »
The '68 W code 427 is basically a 428CJ with a better short block and forged pistons. It's not high maintenance at all if treated with minimal respect. Certainly it will take more abuse than a 428CJ / SCJ without expensive damage. That's the problem with the '68 427 - some think they know something even though they have never owned one or known anyone who did.

Both Richard Petty and David Pearson won 16 NASCAR races in 1968 driving 427 equipped Fords. None of the other manufacturers won even half that number of races. Pearson won the championship easily because he also had lots of other podium finishes, more than Petty. Without the homologation of this fabulous engine none of that would have been possible.

Pearson went on to repeat in '69 driving both 427 and 429 Boss powered Fords.

When the 427 was new, it was a hard line 6,500 rpm engine. Valve springs were the issue. The rest of the engine was good probably with Lemans rods to 8,000 or so.

At the moment my main concentration is on the 347. It's being a PITA like the 427. I've adjusted the valves three times and it keeps twisting up the carb linkage. I thought I'd be done with this last Ausgust? Oh, great big silly boy that I am?

There is "billiance" in the concept of a 428cj street car that can be driven every day. A 427 is really a race engine and you need to own one to realize what that means.

Actually, believe it or not but my Pantera with the Webers by comparison to my two other engines is virtually maintenance free?

It's my own fault. I created this situation. I need my own pit crew and team of mechanics. I need to be like a F! driver and just jump in and drive them...and stop complaining. I can't even stand to hear myself now too. I wish I'd just shut up?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2020, 05:44:33 PM »
The '68 W code 427 is basically a 428CJ with a better short block and forged pistons. It's not high maintenance at all if treated with minimal respect. Certainly it will take more abuse than a 428CJ / SCJ without expensive damage. That's the problem with the '68 427 - some think they know something even though they have never owned one or known anyone who did.

Both Richard Petty and David Pearson won 16 NASCAR races in 1968 driving 427 equipped Fords. None of the other manufacturers won even half that number of races. Pearson won the championship easily because he also had lots of other podium finishes, more than Petty. Without the homologation of this fabulous engine none of that would have been possible.

Pearson went on to repeat in '69 driving both 427 and 429 Boss powered Fords.

Well hello to you to Royce. First time I've been told to my face that I know nothing. Thank you.

Did Petty's engine come out of 68 W code Cougar? Was it an automatic or was that Pearson's?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2020, 08:11:26 PM »
Doug you are delirious. We have told you many times you dont know anything.

;D