News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 to 1968 production Mustangs with 427 Engine installation.

Started by sw44ma@yahoo.com, March 21, 2020, 10:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigblock

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 22, 2020, 09:22:27 AM

Years ago I heard from John Paradise that he had seen several W code Mustangs and Cougars.

Late to the party.
At John's first Super Ford swap meet (70s) there was a 68 fastback roller there that had a 'W' stamped in the apron VIN, no dash or door tag. I asked John what the story was and he just said stay away.

gt350hr

We have established here , there , and everywhere , that Ford Motor Co never produced a W code Mustang for sale to the public DESPITE advance advertising , printing tire inflation stickers ,  and other things. No doubt the engine was "tested" by Ford on a Mustang converted by the "X" garage having an "S" engine code.  A similar situation ( though not as widely publicized was the K  and D engine code cars) I don't know that Marti has researched the K codes but "I" know for a FACT that two FORD OWNED '67 Mustangs WERE re VIN numbered DURING FORD'S  OWNERSHIP to have a D ( tunnel port 302) SOLEY for presentation to the SCCA. Both of these '68 T/A cars still exist and their re stamping is well know and accepted. They will not be in his report data because they were NOT assembly line built with those numbers. The SAAC T/A registrar knows the name of the Ford employee directed to do the restamp.

There is ONE '67 R code Mustang that has been seen by our own Jeff Speegle and several others. YEARS ago (before Marti reports) I sent a "history 999" request to Ford about this Metuchen built black fastback. Ford "first" said it was a "P" code and a follow up letter said it was an "S"  code "possibly" mis stamped at Metuchen. The letter specifically said the "R" engine code was not used on Mustangs in '67. In person observers of the car said there was no "positive" evidence ( besides the vin stamp) of the car ever having a 427. "MY" opinion is it is a mis stamp.

The three Shelby American '67 GT 500's are CONVERSIONS ( NOT produced by Ford) done by SAI "before" being sold to the "original owner". The Ford vin engine code is NOT R or W. This is not to devalue these cars in ANY way but to acknowledge Royce's statement that the FORD assembly line never produced a 427 FE powered Mustang. He has said this from day one. After all of this discussion I agree.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Yes saw and took some pictures of a 67 Fastback that was stamped as a 427 car.  And as Randy mentioned Marti had not gained access to Ford data base at that time so didn't have access to that information.  Over the years did check what Ford showed but it was recorded as an "S" but we know that Ford data didn't always match what was stamped on the cars. (example many Marti's for 67 Shelbys)

Not going into all the details but all the basic information collected IMHO suggests that the order was very likely meant to become a 427 equipped Super Stang. A promotional for Mainway Ford a dealer in Eastern Canada.  But the order may have been killed after the body was started. Do have other examples of this taking place though very very odd/rare.

Car did not have a motor with it when I saw it nor did the owner get a motor with the car. Car was fairly stripped of interior since the owner at the time, was planning on doing a resto-mod after owning it a few years.  From the evidence on the car it was equipped as you would with a purpose built car but I found no evidence that the car has ever been raced or abused as you would expect if it had been completed with a 427 and the car didn't have any of the body modifications that would have been made if converted by the dealership into a Stallion.  A couple of the K code Stallions have turned up over the years.

Like many oddities over the years it was an interesting find and discussion starter :)

As far as 68  only seen pictures of the one restamped W code others have mentioned
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

honker

I have this "Stallion" in my files, photo probably'80s-'90s looking at the cars in background, Big boots on the rear !

Mike

Some more on the Stallion here,

http://www.ponysite.de/pony/stallion.htm

propayne

Interesting that the paint scheme is similar to the "Super Mach 1", a '68 Mustang fastback prototype built at KK.

Again, I reference the awesome book "Kar-Kraft, Race Cars, Prototypes and Muscle Cars of Ford's Specialty Vehicle Activity Program" by Charlie Henry.

Photo below is a scan from my copy.

Look closely at the blacked out hood with what looks like a very cool hood scoop.

According to the book, this was a 428 Cobra Jet Mustang that, among other things received fuel injection and a custom four-wheel-drive system that was installed in England.

As of the time the book was published, no one could remember what became of it.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

KR500

Quote from: propayne on May 09, 2020, 11:24:13 AM
Interesting that the paint scheme is similar to the "Super Mach 1", a '68 Mustang fastback prototype built at KK.

Again, I reference the awesome book "Kar-Kraft, Race Cars, Prototypes and Muscle Cars of Ford's Specialty Vehicle Activity Program" by Charlie Henry.

Photo below is a scan from my copy.

Look closely at the blacked out hood with what looks like a very cool hood scoop.

According to the book, this was a 428 Cobra Jet Mustang that, among other things received fuel injection and a custom four-wheel-drive system that was installed in England.

As of the time the book was published, no one could remember what became of it.

- Phillip

Outside of a 135 car I would not expect to see the earlier 2 piece flush style rear side marker light on a 428CJ car. It must be a really early CJ or a non RPO car. Or the CJ engine could have been a transplant.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

shelbydoug

Interesting package. I'd like to see the all wheel drive system.

I've run into the Canadian delivered cars being a little different in certain respects before.

I wonder how many actually got built and sold.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

I was looking for a front shot of that scoop. I have it somewhere. It looks a lot like some of the Chrysler offerings. If I can find it, I'll post it.
I'm going to take the Shelby out for a drive. It's 76 and sunny here. As a matter of fact my favorite Thai restaurant is open and calling my name.
You boys and girls up in the New England states much be loving the mid-May snow up there.  ;D
My daughter in the Glen was whining about it last night.

KR500

Quote from: The Going Thing on May 09, 2020, 02:33:24 PM
I was looking for a front shot of that scoop. I have it somewhere. It looks a lot like some of the Chrysler offerings. If I can find it, I'll post it.
I'm going to take the Shelby out for a drive. It's 76 and sunny here. As a matter of fact my favorite Thai restaurant is open and calling my name.
You boys and girls up in the New England states much be loving the mid-May snow up there.  ;D
My daughter in the Glen was whining about it last night.
N.E. OH. Mid to upper twenty's this morning with close to an inch of snow on the ground. Upper 30's now with an occasional snow flake. Last Sunday 76 go figure.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

gt350hr

Thanks as always Jeff! Now maybe we can put this W code fairy tale to bed.

J_Speegle

Quote from: gt350hr on May 11, 2020, 11:30:04 AM
   Thanks as always Jeff! Now maybe we can put this W code fairy tale to bed.

Just for the record and for the benefit of the readers. It would have been an "R" for the 67 and a "W" for 68.

The "dealer installed" 427 stories/claims over the years have been massive. In some cases "they" have often taken to building even paper trails but that's a whole 'nother thread, of which we have done before :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

Ford went to the trouble of making fender emblems for the Fairlane with the 427. C8OZ 16228-A. Still didn't help getting the engine option ''made".

honker

shelbydoug, getting a bit off topic,  here's some stuff I have in my files on the 4wd Mustangs, there was an early car, and a

'69,there may have been more than one of each body style ? There is some on line if you dig around. I have a couple of articles

from English magazines on the '69, I believe it was Classic and Sports Car, or Thoroughbred & Classic Cars,  I can't get to them

right now. I seem to remember that   www.Ponysite.de   out of Germany had something on them.

You guys know better than me if the under side shot is of the earlier car, or the '69.

Mike

TransamEd

Jeff, not sure if this quote matches your find. But I was about to update my Stallion page with some insider knowledge from back then, recently sent to me. There is more to it coming soon, which 427 engine actually was installed.

Here is the quote of John Petries mechanic Paul: "Yes I recall that Stallion as a metallic steel grey 427 wedge on Webbers and now that I think on it, I think it was built as a flag ship dealership promo car. It seems that the knowledge of a 68 Mustang with a 427 wedge produced by Ford is dubious and so far has not been proven... But I'm here to tell you that there was one, not from the factory, but by Mainway Ford on the Danforth."

Aside from that I'd like to correct some possible mix-up of the white "W-coded" fastback and the black "W-coded" convertible. The white 68 fastback is still in Switzerland with a collector, while the black 68 "W-coded" convertible is in Australia.
Wolfgang (ponysite.de)

J_Speegle

Quote from: TransamEd on May 12, 2020, 01:16:29 AM
Jeff, not sure if this quote matches your find. But I was about to update my Stallion page with some insider knowledge from back then, recently sent to me. There is more to it coming soon, which 427 engine actually was installed......................

No was referring to only a 67 and apparently the Stallions that were built were only 67's. Likely the project did go as planned and they dropped the idea after that year and the handful of cars they did convert.

If they did sometime in 68 then it would not have been a very successful "Flag ship" of the project sine it would have been around a year or so already. Maybe the dealership couldn't get what they wanted from Ford so they built their own. Much like other dealerships did with individual projects. 

Not sure where "Mainway Ford on the Danforth" is located. Want to fill us in on that?

Still thing there is a possibility that a dealer in Calif was turning out California Special convertibles but haven't found proof in print after all these years  ::) But that is best saved for another thread :)