News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Non Script oval air cleaner top, 1967 GT 500

Started by Harris Speedster, March 23, 2020, 03:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris Speedster

Guys,
Didn't some of the early 1967 GT 500 cars have a non script air cleaner lid?
Sand cast underside.
Top has the lines running through, but no cut out for>> bird, 427 and no Cobra lettering.
Seems I read about it once, or maybe saw a picture of one?
Thanks
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on March 23, 2020, 03:02:35 PM
Guys,
Didn't some of the early 1967 GT 500 cars have a non script air cleaner lid?
Sand cast underside.
Top has the lines running through, but no cut out for>> bird, 427 and no Cobra lettering.
Seems I read about it once, or maybe saw a picture of one?
Thanks
John
Some very early GT500's had the sand cast air cleaner lid but it did have the cut for the bird but with no holes for the pins and of course no bird and no Cobra trademark.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

Thank you Bob.
Been trying to figure it out.
Seems earlier dual fours lids, had a 427 emblem cutout and then the bird cut out?
That is what has me really puzzled, what could it possibly have come from.
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Harris Speedster

JWH,
Thanks for the pic.
No, the lines travel the entire length of the lid.

Much different than the original std original cobra air cleaner assembly I sold through
SAAC last year. Mild tabs, correct letters etc.
I thought it could possibly be a 62 ish ford, but they had three deuces.
427 dual four "car"  should say 427, unless they too had an early version>
John

GOAT12

Looks identical to the one on my 67 R code Fairlane.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JWH on March 24, 2020, 12:17:29 AM
Like this?
Looks the part of the early lid on the top side . Need picture of the bottom side to confirm.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JWH

Here is a look at the under side of the lid

JWH

This is of the bottom of the lid. The PCV fitting looks like a home fix but I have no idea?

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JWH on March 24, 2020, 09:14:16 PM
This is of the bottom of the lid. The PCV fitting looks like a home fix but I have no idea?
The base does not look genuine home fix or otherwise IMHO.

Harris Speedster

Bob,
I sent you a picture of the one with the lines running from one end to the next.
Exacting to every aspect to the bird and 427 ones, but with the exception of the lines.
Will keep looking at old ford FE engine pictures, maybe I will get lucky.
John

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on March 25, 2020, 09:49:25 AM
Bob,
I sent you a picture of the one with the lines running from one end to the next.
Exacting to every aspect to the bird and 427 ones, but with the exception of the lines.
Will keep looking at old ford FE engine pictures, maybe I will get lucky.
John
I got them . As I commented not for Shelby.Sorry that I can't be of more help as to what application.

Harris Speedster

As always, thanks for the help Bob.
I have seen this top on pictures of Ford engines, from old magazines,
Just can't put my finger on it.
If i ever find out, will post back.
Thanks
John

Royce Peterson

The lid looks typical of ones Ford used in 1964 - 66 full size models. They also sold them over the counter. And they were reproduced by lots of companies over the many decades since. I would not know how to tell if yours is original or not. I got one like that from John Chiacci years ago when he sold Dove parts out of his trailer at Carlisle. Those were made by Dove from original Ford tooling.

Like Bob said not likely for any Shelby. 

Quote from: JWH on March 24, 2020, 12:17:29 AM
Like this?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock