News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Mounting R-Model Oil Cooler to Radiator.

Started by R-MODEL1965, March 24, 2020, 09:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R-MODEL1965

Does anyone have any photos of how the r-model oil cooler brackets mount to the radiator? My galaxie radiator doesn't seem to have enough lip on the support to mount the brackets to.

SFM5S000

R-MODEL1965

Thanks for the photos, thats exactly what I was looking for. Do you happen to know what size bolts those are?

Thanks

SFM5S000

Grade 8 7/16. X 3/4 with 7/16 nyloc nuts is what I used.

~E

SFM5S000

You'll also notice, I didn't cut or butcher the radiator support. The R Model Radiator fits along WITH the R Oil Cooler, HiPo fan and I also run 48 IDA Weber's which also has an external thermostat housing (it was originally black but turned purplish from the heat). All this WILL FIT with careful spacing of the components. Regardless of what some people say. (Very apparent in the last above image).
The tricky part was spacing the fan and upper radiator hose with the housing in it. The two fittings are; 1. The heater/defroster line and 2. The bypass back to the water pump (which is typically the little "L" shaped hose on a standard manifold. Which aids in thermostat function.

Cheers
~Earl J

TJinSA

I don't recall ever seeing a thermostat housing like that but that design would solve a host of problems when trying to bridge the race to street use issues... does it use a standard thermostat? Where did you find it? I have the old Ford tractor inline thermostat in my kit.
Tom Kubler
6S296

shelbydoug

Earl, is there a bypass hose with that set up?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

FYI typically the competition models did not run with a fan blade. After about 30 mph the fan is not critical. A flat round plate drilled with four holes took the place of the spacer and bolted to the water pump pulley. Of course on a street car some type of fixed fan or electric auxiliary pusher fans mounted in front of the radiator needs to be utilized as they are often driven at length in the low mph range. Typically with a pusher fan if utilized the hipo fan is not needed and can be eliminated for a more historic competition look. Spitting hairs because ether way the hipo fan and or a electric auxiliary fan was not typical on the team race models. Just some info so one can make informed choices.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM5S000

Quote from: TJinSA on March 27, 2020, 01:26:16 PM
I don't recall ever seeing a thermostat housing like that but that design would solve a host of problems when trying to bridge the race to street use issues... does it use a standard thermostat? Where did you find it? I have the old Ford tractor inline thermostat in my kit.
Hi Tom,
After serious consideration and what I felt was necessary to run this Weber setup on the street especially here in the SF Bay Area and it's traffic as well as from a operational practicality standpoint. It needed some type of thermostat (I didn't like the conventional integrated thermostat in the modern Weber manifold) if I were to run this vintage piece.

I can't remember how I came across this company, Innovative Peripheral Solutions out of Colorado. The application was some GM thing that takes a regular 180 degree thermostat. (See pic) I had him add another port. This was back in 2009. I'm good with paperwork. I don't know if he's still around.

I've been toying with a replacement from Jim Inglese but I need to have it machined and have two bungs welded on. (see pic) it's smaller and more compact than the IPS piece.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Cheers

SFM5S000

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 27, 2020, 01:38:00 PM
Earl, is there a bypass hose with that set up?

Doug, yes there is. It's extremely efficient in conjunction with the flow to the heater/defroster core. Heated coolant is drawn to the thermostat via the bypass and the heater core. That thing works like clockwork. I can sit in commuter traffic without a problem.

~Earl

SFM5S000

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 27, 2020, 01:49:42 PM
FYI typically the competition models did not run with a fan blade. After about 30 mph the fan is not critical. A flat round plate drilled with four holes took the place of the spacer and bolted to the water pump pulley. Of course on a street car some type of fixed fan or electric auxiliary pusher fans mounted in front of the radiator needs to be utilized as they are often driven at length in the low mph range. Typically with a pusher fan if utilized the hipo fan is not needed and can be eliminated for a more historic competition look. Spitting hairs because ether way the hipo fan and or a electric auxiliary fan was not typical on the team race models. Just some info so one can make informed choices.

Bob is absolutely correct about the competition cars.
I initially installed and spaced this setup to use the stock HiPo fan. Unfortunately the stock HiPo fan on the street has major short comings as it robs an engine of about 10-15hp. Truly it does. But for originality and esthetics I get it. Modern electric fans pushers or pullers to me don't look right on a vintage car. To each his own.

~Earl J

TJinSA

Earl... miziere looks a lot like it would be pronounced misery, obviously, unflummoxed, you went with it.  Fortunately,  I can machine my own design with these examples in mind.  Thanks so much for sharing

p.s
Did you have to ground the "COBRA" 'Y' pipe to get good temperature readings, or is that a mechanical gauge feed?
Tom Kubler
6S296

SFM5S000

Tom,

It's a SW mechanical gauge feed into the Cobra "Y" pipe no machining was necessary. The Meziere piece was from Jim Inglese. Unfortunately all my specialty machinist and welder friends (they actually make medical device components) are back in the Bay Area and I'm in our NY home. Trying to find this talent here in north country of NY is a challenge.

~Earl