Author Topic: Restoring Mustang wood grain steering wheel  (Read 2043 times)

Chad

• View Profile
Restoring Mustang wood grain steering wheel
« on: March 25, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
Who is doing the best job at restoring the Ford Mustang wood grain steering wheels these days?
Thanks

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: Restoring Mustang wood grain steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »
Who is doing the best job at restoring the Ford Mustang wood grain steering wheels these days?
Thanks

Chad,

If you are talking about the plastic wheel on the '66, I have personally never seen a repaired original that either looked really close to the original grain/finish or held up over any length of time.

There are a few reproductions on the market today that are nice and very, very close to the original finish and grain.

The only other choice, in my opinion, is an NOS Ford one.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 04:35:23 PM »
Thanks

Chad,

If you are talking about the plastic wheel on the '66, I have personally never seen a repaired original that either looked really close to the original grain/finish or held up over any length of time.

There are a few reproductions on the market today that are nice and very, very close to the original finish and grain.

+1 . The chrome on the core wheel is often compromised in some way compared to new besides the less then accurate attempt at assemblyline wood grain that can be achieved by a restorer. I personally wouldn't waste my time restoring one given the very nice original looking reproduction alternatives. In this case the repro is the next best alternative to a NOS original. Just the opinion of a sometimes considered picky enthusiast/concours judge. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 08:22:01 PM »
Thanks

Chad,

+1 . The chrome on the core wheel is often compromised in some way compared to new besides the less then accurate attempt at assemblyline wood grain that can be achieved by a restorer. I personally wouldn't waste my time restoring one given the very nice original looking reproduction alternatives. In this case the repro is the next best alternative to a NOS original. Just the opinion of a sometimes considered picky enthusiast/concours judge. ;D

+1. Bob is correct Restoring them is not worth the effort
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:23:34 PM »
will the original horn levers mount up with the repro wheel?
and is the horn function still a problem w the repro wheel?
1966 GT350 6s1761

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »
will the original horn levers mount up with the repro wheel?
and is the horn function still a problem w the repro wheel?
They work great. They have to be adjusted just like the original.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »
Thanks

Chad,

That is why I love you Bob!!!

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 04:18:20 PM »
Keep in mind there were or still are a couple suppliers of these wheels.  Some of them were shiny on the face of the spokes, which on the originals was satin... I presume to minimize glare.

The repro wheels are a decent compromise.  I've restored original wheels with nice results.  But, like most anything, starting with good parts yields the best results.  Hairline or no cracks on the plastic rim would be ideal.  Big gaps larger than 1/8" will most certainly crack again later on.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge