Author Topic: 65 Alternator Charge Indicator Lamp Wiring  (Read 1159 times)

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
65 Alternator Charge Indicator Lamp Wiring
« on: March 26, 2020, 06:28:16 PM »
Been looking at the cluster wiring for the 65 Charge Indicator Light and it does not match either of the 65's I have had in shop recently. Specifically, the wiring diagram (link below) shows the Charge indicator lamp connected to the red-green (16) pigtail on back of ignition switch before it connects to the Pink Resister wire (16A) and on to one of the master disconnect blocks on the firewall. My car (5S228) 16 comes from back of ignition switch and connects to the resister wire which goes into the main disconnect block. Wire on indicator lamp is referred to as 30 and is black-green before connecting to resister wire. Other lead on indicator is Green-red and is referred to as 904 which goes to the alternator/regulator. My issue is I don't see where the indicator (30) is supposed to connect to . Either my wiring and the other car's wiring is really screwed up or schematic is wrong. Can you help please?
>>
The lamp in the car functions, but I cannot figure out if schematic is wrong or what?

When I put cluster back in the other car, could not get charge indicator to light up as it should. Started chasing wires and the disparity focused on, the charge indicator. Actually, problem was failed lamp... duh... still can't figure out where its supposed to connect at 30.
>>
>> http://averagejoerestoration.com/resources/mustang-wiring-and-vacuum-diagrams/1965-mustang-wiring-diagrams/1965c.jpg
>>
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

texas swede

• View Profile
Re: 65 Alternator Charge Indicator Lamp Wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 07:14:50 AM »
Hi there,
The schematic is wrong in the Jim Osborn wiring diagram. I found that out when restoring my car
over 25 years ago. Don't remember how I solved it though. Just remember it was pretty simple and straight forward.
Texas Swede

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
Re: 65 Alternator Charge Indicator Lamp Wiring
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 08:23:12 AM »
Bo, I kept looking at the schematic and in my old feeble mind, decided it just had to be wrong, but it kept nagging me kinda like Dirty Harry, man, I gotsa know, did ya shoot 5 or was it 6...So far, that's the only error I have found in the Osborne Schematics, but of course, I am only interested in the 65's...Can't imagine why...
Thanks my friend.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967