News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Owner installed 427 search

Started by 79stang351w, March 28, 2020, 01:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

79stang351w

I'm looking to see if this car is still out there: My dad, a mechanic, worked on a local guy's 67 GT500.  (Scranton, Pa.)  Circa 1969 - 1971.  Brittany blue, with white interior.  He ordered a nascar 427 long block from Ford Racing Divison and installed it in the Shelby. 4.86 gears, hooker headers, electric fuel pump at the tank.  It was bad azzz.  I remember riding in the back as a kid for the test drive.  My Dad is still around, just wondering if its still out there.  Mike

shelbydoug

Larry Barton in CT had one that sounds similar? I don't know about the gears though.

He got killed in a private plane crash around 1980. Search the 67 Registry under that name for current updates.

Maybe Dave has something for you.

Back then, you ordered a 427 service engine from a Ford Parts dealer. They were all pretty much gone by the fall of '67.

You could still get one from Holman-Moody for a little while longer.

67 427's apparently were available two ways. Single 4v (like in the CSX3300 Cobras) and dual 4's like in the R code Fairlanes. Either way, those were the best of the breed.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

79stang351w

Thanks.  Dad worked at the dealership.  The parts guy called Ford Racing Division.  The short block came with domed 12 to 1 pistons.  It came with the off set rods (LeMans).  The heads were separated and required assembly.  They had the lightweight sodium valves.  He remembers the ports being large, like tunnel wedge.  He used the 428 intake though.  Mike

shelbydoug

Quote from: 79stang351w on March 28, 2020, 01:39:10 PM
Thanks.  Dad worked at the dealership.  The parts guy called Ford Racing Division.  The short block came with domed 12 to 1 pistons.  It came with the off set rods (LeMans).  The heads were separated and required assembly.  They had the lightweight sodium valves.  He remembers the ports being large, like tunnel wedge.  He used the 428 intake though.  Mike

There have been lots of 67's converted to 427s. Barton's car is the only one that I know of that sounds like your description. I do believe that it was a box stock '67 2x4 MR though.

It's kind of difficult to find something that "you heard of" 50 years after the fact. It probably is rarer then being struck by lightening and yet that does happen?

I can tell you that my 67 had the stock 428 "shortblock" replaced with a 427 shortblock by a dealer, Mel Burns Ford, in '67-8 time frame but they reused the stock heads because of the exhaust port issue of 427 heads in a 67 Mustang chassis.

All FE heads look "big" until you have them side by side. Then there is big and then there IS B I G!

Memory can be tough. It doesn't seem like anything is the way you remember it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

79stang351w

Thanks for the replies.  I couldn't find anything about Larry in the forums,  I can't get into the 67 registry.  One member on a facebook site said his 67 GT 500 with Brittany Blue paint and black interior was one of 438! Wow. Some day I'll have one!  Thanks again!
Mike

shelbydoug

67400F8U00690. LKO. Chuck Bently, CT. That an old listing from the 97 Registry. I don't know what Dave has on it now or how public the information is. Originally sold new by Gotham Ford, NY, NY.

Write to the 67 Registrar and inquire.

Of course, this is just one possibility. It definitely was/is a 427 MR. I knew Larry and he bought the car with the 427 so that seemed to be all that he knew about it at the time?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

GT350DAVE

I doubt it is #690. My guess is it is car #1274.

Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

79stang351w

Thanks!  I talked to my Dad, and he said the original owner was Marvin White (RIP) from Scranton, PA.  He says he thinks Marvin bought the car new, in Allentown, PA.  Marvin owned a print shop, and was always at work, but he loved that car.   The guy never put water in the radiator.  Straight coolant.  I remember going to his house with Dad to tune it.  The thing was mean!  He was supposed to race the owner of a local towing company, Ralph Johnson, with his Yenco Camaro at the Pocono drag lodge.   I think that was a 69.  It just never happened.  Of course, Dad says if he was driving, he'd take out that camaro.  Dad was an old racer.  He campaigned a 62 Galaxie 406 tripower.   Also, Marvin was going through a divorce in the late seventies, and sold the car for $10K to somebody in Allentown.  Yea, ten thousand!  Ugh!  Thanks for the replies.  Mike

79stang351w

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

vtgt500

I am only repeating what I was told, so please don't crucify me if mistaken

During my tenure at Ford met a manager at Flat Rock where he was involved in the 427 program.  Was told the last engines were shipped in '72 to Holman Moody for use in Donzi boats.  The one he showed me had '72 foundry date with service block casting ribs.  Was sold with Lemans rods, 11.7:1 pistons with bumpers, and a steel crank.  Heads were C8OE CJ castings.  I believe they used a hydraulic cam.  I'd be curious what they sold for at the time.

shelbydoug

Quote from: vtgt500 on March 28, 2020, 05:39:43 PM
I am only repeating what I was told, so please don't crucify me if mistaken

During my tenure at Ford met a manager at Flat Rock where he was involved in the 427 program.  Was told the last engines were shipped in '72 to Holman Moody for use in Donzi boats.  The one he showed me had '72 foundry date with service block casting ribs.  Was sold with Lemans rods, 11.7:1 pistons with bumpers, and a steel crank.  Heads were C8OE CJ castings.  I believe they used a hydraulic cam.  I'd be curious what they sold for at the time.

I don't think anyone here has a desire to crucify you at all.

I know that there are service blocks dated into '72. I don't know about complete engine assemblies? Those were the blocks with the stripes on them and had the square piston sleeves for NASCAR USE. They were also side-oilers set up for hydraulic cams.

Cranks and connecting rods were available into the late 70s as Ford Service parts.

I'm always learning and certainly don't know anywhere near everything. IF my memory is still accurate from over 40 years ago, then that's what I'm relating.

Holman-Moody really was where Ford sent the left over high performance parts at that time. 69-70 was the last that I remember short block assemblies available and that was through Ford Service Parts.

One of the things that turned people off about Ford back then was that you couldn't buy anything out of the Racing program if you were a nobody, unlike over at GM where you could walk up to a dealer, lay down your $800 and buy an L88.

I remember entire 'Cammers for I think $695 each at H-M, but even if that number was $895, that was still a deal?

I think the key here is to approach us in inquiry and kind of share information. You might be shocked at how some will come out of the woodwork and have specific details? You don't need to be apologetic, just don't come across as take no prisoners know it all.

Make friends, not enemies.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

GT350DAVE

Quote from: 79stang351w on March 28, 2020, 04:39:56 PM
correction, Marvin Wyandt
I don't have his name as an original owner. We don't have all the original owner's names so he still could have bought it new. There was only Brittany with Parchment car sold new out of PA. That car sold out of Harrisburg. I don't know the original owner's name. That car years later was meant to have it's original 428 motor.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

79stang351w

Wow, great info!  Thank you!  Marvin burnt a valve in the original 428.  Hence the need for more go fast goodies.  Dad got the long block, fixed the head and had both milled.  He put it all in a 67 fairlane, with a rebuilt C6.  Thanks guys!  My goal is to maybe get in contact with the current owner, and maybe get some pics to show Dad.  Thanks again!
Mike

Man,

I would love it if somebody showed up out of the blue with a lot of great early history on #875.

::)