Author Topic: SAAC is not living up to it's purpose  (Read 24416 times)

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: SAAC is not living up to it's purpose
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 10:27:29 PM »

Bill, with all due respect (and I really mean that) if I did any of the things you said "don't do" then that would be enough said. My original comments weren't about one post it was about my larger experience on the forum. I included a reference to my latest post as an example of the larger issue.

The fact that you could not even wait 12 hours for an answer is exactly what I was going for. You made your initial post at this time stamp:
March 25, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »
You then added more data:
March 25, 2020, 12:41:43 PM
Then you follow up with a post time stamped:
March 25, 2020, 08:14:33 PM

This to me is the "tell" and why I posted #8
Nobody responded to your initial posts, made in the middle of a work day (Wednesday to be exact), you got miffed, maybe a little paranoid even and posted the following:
I thought this was a relatively simple question. Is there some reason that nobody is answering???
When people read such items, and your posts on this thread, they get turned off, they take this as a personal affront to their generosity in answering your questions, openly, freely, and as a gesture of good will, sharing their knowledge free of charge. Granted, not on your time line, but theirs. In this case, you looked the gift horse in the mouth, made a post, and then a thread (this one) that may now alienate those same people who were assisting you in the first place. Burning bridges is not something I suggest for anyone.

Again, just my two cents as someone who has been around since 1995 on various forums and/or newsgroups...To say I've been around the block with end users similar to yourself a few times would be an understatement. The ball is in your court so to speak

Once again, enough said.

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 10:35:37 PM »
Wow.  I missed a lot on the forum today.  :o

Hope everyone is healthy and well!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 10:39:38 PM »
Also, I should mention that I, too, am having a tribute 1965 R Model built (although, it's more of a restomod).  I've had to ask several questions, and I haven't received any pushback.  Also, I've posted pictures of the car's progress in the tribute section (although, its been a while), and I've only received positive feedback.

I hope things turn around for you soon!

PS - I have a 67 A/C car; however, its a GT350, so I'm hesitant to pass along information that might only be small block specific.
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 10:40:46 PM »

Bill, with all due respect (and I really mean that) if I did any of the things you said "don't do" then that would be enough said. My original comments weren't about one post it was about my larger experience on the forum. I included a reference to my latest post as an example of the larger issue.

The fact that you could not even wait 12 hours for an answer is exactly what I was going for. You made your initial post at this time stamp:
March 25, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »
You then added more data:
March 25, 2020, 12:41:43 PM
Then you follow up with a post time stamped:

This to me is the "tell" and why I posted #8
Nobody responded to your initial posts, made in the middle of a work day (Wednesday to be exact), you got miffed, maybe a little paranoid even and posted the following:
I thought this was a relatively simple question. Is there some reason that nobody is answering???
When people read such items, and your posts on this thread, they get turned off, they take this as a personal affront to their generosity in answering your questions, openly, freely, and as a gesture of good will, sharing their knowledge free of charge. Granted, not on your time line, but theirs. In this case, you looked the gift horse in the mouth, made a post, and then a thread (this one) that may now alienate those same people who were assisting you in the first place. Burning bridges is not something I suggest for anyone.

Again, just my two cents as someone who has been around since 1995 on various forums and/or newsgroups...To say I've been around the block with end users similar to yourself a few times would be an understatement. The ball is in your court so to speak

Once again, enough said.

Bill
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350DAVE

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 10:45:56 PM »
+2
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 07:49:32 AM »
+3
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 09:24:24 AM »
+4

I have always gotten a response and pertinent information when requested. Occasionally I may have gotten what I didn't want to hear.... but the truth is just that.  I for one certainly appreciate all the assistance I have been afforded in the past from the membership and consider myself fortunate to be able to be here.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 09:41:21 AM »
+5

I could not agree more.  I have received invaluable help from folks on this forum.  It has been an amazing resource of information.

Corey

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
 On a side note  with a clone there are far too many variables to  have the "correct" part. (what else has been changed or added )
If it works  it is correct  might fit a truck  or a thunder bird , fairlane .

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 11:48:35 AM »
You guys want to focus on that one post for some reason so it's worth noting that nobody answered a relatively straightforward question after three days. I think that's telling but it's no big deal. This topic isn't about that one post as I said before. The "purists" know who they are and they know what I'm talking about. I hope things improve but the ones who don't like tribute cars will probably be even less likely to respond now that I raised the issue so there's no winning this debate. I just wanted to raise the issue in hopes that those involved would give it some thought. Others before me have raised the same issue. This is a great forum and I hope it gets even better. We all have much more in common than we have that divides us so let's focus on that.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 12:03:12 PM »
You guys want to focus on that one post for some reason so it's worth noting that nobody answered a relatively straightforward question after three days. I think that's telling but it's no big deal. This topic isn't about that one post as I said before. The "purists" know who they are and they know what I'm talking about. I hope things improve but the ones who don't like tribute cars will probably be even less likely to respond now that I raised the issue so there's no winning this debate. I just wanted to raise the issue in hopes that those involved would give it some thought. Others before me have raised the same issue. This is a great forum and I hope it gets even better. We all have much more in common than we have that divides us so let's focus on that.

It takes two to Tango Babe! If you INSIST on going to the zoo and poking the lion with the stick there is some certainty to the eventual outcome.

The decision is on your part, not ours.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
Hi-one thing you must be clear on is fact that no one  has any obligation or gets remuneration to spend their free time answering my question or anyone else's, which @ time might be strange or at least so perceived. I do agree there could be some uncold for derogatory remarks , and as of any walks of life you will always encounter some nice and some not so nice people. However be assured that at SAAC if you only allow some time and patients you will meet a lot of extraordinary , dedicated, friendliest , in short just awesome characters. I can give number of instances when my wife commented "HOW DO THOSE PEOPLE FIND PATIENCE " trying to help all of us thinking that getting answers is our right not privilege. In nut shell my car would still be in pieces or incorrectly assembled if it was not for help from likes of BOBS-ROBERTS-EDS--CHRISTS---[ and list goes on and on]  guys that help is endless.               GOOD LUCK , have patients and very soon you will have array of very good , proud to be associated with FRIENDS.                                           John Zajc
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:09:28 PM by johnzajc@gmail.com »

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 01:55:36 PM »
I have sometimes asked questions that I first should have done some degree of due diligence in researching for myself. But I jumped out there and  asked anyway. Sometimes I would get a answer and others, crickets. Then I had to ask myself, are the questions I am asking overly hard or are they about a subject only a few individuals would remotely have clue what I was talking about or why I was even asking it in first place. I have great respect for the dedicated folks here who recognize what its all about and are willing to share some of their life long experience. In my particular instance, there are 65 Mustangs and there are 65 Mustangs fortunate enough to become 65 GT350's that had so many unique things done to them, only another owner would have a clue why I am so anal about how a oil pressure line was cut and routed by the boys at SA when they did the oil line installation. To me, it MATTERS how and where the factory harness was cut and even if it was retaped or not. If I don't get a response to these type questions, I don't get my Hanes in a wad. Not everyone know how many holes a early Detroit Locker has in the sides, was it 12 or 4 and to me, why did they change. These folks, even those who sit behind thousands of lights at 49,000 feet getting coffee spilled on them by the FA, are invaluable, each in their own way. Remember, the average age of original owners is getting up there and we are not all the sharpest tack in the box. To some, this is a hobby, others, it is an escape and a portal to a much different time and place. These cars are an extension of ourselves. Its way too easy to heap wet warm cow pie in a fan than it is to have patience and respect for our mutual friends and their unique qualities, and sometimes quirks.

Where else can you go to find that special header bolt that was only used on a early GT350 that average person will never see. SAAC..

Nuff said and I burned my soap box.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 03:32:27 PM »
In my view, SAAC has improved considerably over the years. I was a long-time lurker on the old forum. It was a goldmine of information for my ’65 GT350 Restomod build, which I’m embarrassed to admit is now in it’s fourth decade of construction. Talk about Scope Creep!

I began anonymous research in the SAAC forum in the early 2000’s.  The record of older posts showed occasional drama between the owners of original Shelby’s and those of clones. The concern was generally due to the building of counterfeit Shelby’s which were then sold as original. One comment I heard several times was: “There are more Shelby cars now than ever came out of Shelby American.” There were veiled allegations that some of the convincing counterfeits and rebodied cars are in the SAAC registry as legitimate.  A small, but vocal SAAC contingent strongly discouraged the building of clone cars. They were generally countered by others who saw some benefit to encourage these projects.

Because of this debate, I chose to not register for the forum, or become a member, but continued to use the forum for research on my car. However, as time went on, I noticed that the new posts had few and milder such altercations. Of course, there was still some skepticism over suspicious questions from new and secretive forum members, but in my opinion, that is to be expected. IMO, it is a healthy defense of the marque. One of the benefits of clone/tribute cars is that it bolsters the market for reproduction parts that wouldn’t be as extensive if it served only the originals. I use reproduction parts to avoid keeping the rare OEM parts available for the originals.

When the forum imploded in 2018, there was an opportunity to start fresh. I had seen enough support for tribute cars to decide it was time for me to support the organization that had helped me over the years. I don’t post very often because my Shelby education pales in comparison to many here. Also, I don’t have the drive for authenticity that I value in others. My passion lies elsewhere. I can’t say I’ve always agreed with the responses I’ve gotten to my posts, but I believe they were fair and honest.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 03:37:36 PM »
Well discussed and answered by many members above...

...but worth a fast note....

You state: " SAAC is not living up to it's purpose" ..I'll take exception to that.

SAAC Forum is a free COMMUNITY for members and non members alike. Several of us spend quite a lot of time and virtual capital to maintain and run this Forum.
It is not a direct pipe to the core, but rather a comfortable place to discuss any and all things related to our cars.
It is not a vending machine where you insert a question and get an immediate reply.

Consider it a large room with friends that come and go.. some just read, some always give their two cents.
We even created the Lounge to allow non-specific non-car related conversation... since most folks are human and enjoy non-tech talk at times.

Bill and I spend loads of behind the scenes energy to quietly sort posts to the correct areas.. to help make sense and order out of the posts.

Sorry you didn't get an instant answer... maybe try asking again in a few days after an original post with crickets.

...but don't bash SAAC for not supporting our mission... the Forum is just one part of the effort.

Thanks
Ron