Author Topic: SAAC is not living up to it's purpose  (Read 24409 times)

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: SAAC is not living up to it's purpose
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
Thank you Ron.  I know this forum has provided me with not only excellent advice but valuable contacts in obtaining "holy grail" parts.

Thanks to all.

Cheers, Steve
SFM 6S406

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 03:54:01 PM »
Well discussed and answered by many members above...

...but worth a fast note....

You state: " SAAC is not living up to it's purpose" ..I'll take exception to that.

SAAC Forum is a free COMMUNITY for members and non members alike. Several of us spend quite a lot of time and virtual capital to maintain and run this Forum.
It is not a direct pipe to the core, but rather a comfortable place to discuss any and all things related to our cars.
It is not a vending machine where you insert a question and get an immediate reply.

Consider it a large room with friends that come and go.. some just read, some always give their two cents.
We even created the Lounge to allow non-specific non-car related conversation... since most folks are human and enjoy non-tech talk at times.

Bill and I spend loads of behind the scenes energy to quietly sort posts to the correct areas.. to help make sense and order out of the posts.

Sorry you didn't get an instant answer... maybe try asking again in a few days after an original post with crickets.

...but don't bash SAAC for not supporting our mission... the Forum is just one part of the effort.

Thanks
Ron
Hear, hear  .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 03:16:45 AM »
For what it’s worth, I’ve owned my real Shelby for 41 years and been a SAAC member longer than that. I joined this forum when it was first formed. Sometimes I ask what I think are simple questions that should yield immediate and authoritative replies… and get crickets. I usually wait a week or two and refresh my post with a follow-up. If I still don’t get anything I try posting in a different section of the forum. Maybe the people I need don’t visit the area I originally posted in. If I still don’t get an answer I try other sources; like personal friends who may know what I need, or other forums like the ConcoursMustang forum.

At no time do I think I’m being ignored or “blackballed.” It could be the answer is not as easy as I thought. Maybe the “right” person simply hasn’t read my question yet. Maybe the people who know are just too busy with other things in their life at this time. Whatever.

The point is, while I’m pleased when I get an answer, I don’t think I’m entitled to one. And I don’t feel compelled to chastise the community because they don’t cater to my needs.

Interestingly, I sometimes get the needed answer months after the original post.

And, on occasion, I’ve been the one who knew an answer and had the honor of helping someone. But that’s embarrassingly rare.

Steve

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 04:53:32 AM »
I echo Ron’s words. This forum has been an amazing resource in my resto and I have also met some great people who have been kind with advice and bits and pieces I have needed over the years. Anytime you put a bunch of (mostly) blokes together you are gonna get the off flare up off Agro but by large we all are here for the same reason.... cars and the future of this hobby. Relax and chill, there are bigger problems at the moment
6S373
6S1276

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 04:59:38 AM »
Trent must have missed some of the hostility. I am usually willing to help just about anyone. I don't know everything, nor do the "experts".
Too many variables. I think most of them do the best they can based on information available at the moment and what they've noted.

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 05:48:26 AM »
 Reading all the answers on this post makes me proud to member of SAAC .thank you all.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 08:15:12 AM »

You state: " SAAC is not living up to it's purpose" ..I'll take exception to that.

SAAC Forum is a free COMMUNITY for members and non members alike. Several of us spend quite a lot of time and virtual capital to maintain and run this Forum.
It is not a direct pipe to the core, but rather a comfortable place to discuss any and all things related to our cars.
It is not a vending machine where you insert a question and get an immediate reply.

Consider it a large room with friends that come and go.. some just read, some always give their two cents.
We even created the Lounge to allow non-specific non-car related conversation... since most folks are human and enjoy non-tech talk at times.

Bill and I spend loads of behind the scenes energy to quietly sort posts to the correct areas.. to help make sense and order out of the posts.

Sorry you didn't get an instant answer... maybe try asking again in a few days after an original post with crickets.

...but don't bash SAAC for not supporting our mission... the Forum is just one part of the effort.

Thanks
Ron

+6....or is it +7?

You can always start your own Forum:  www.saacforumtribute.com   ;D

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 09:27:35 AM »
+ 8 the forum is what it is and what you envision it should be

Thanks
Ron
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 10:00:57 AM »

Thanks
Ron

If this isn't the primary reason for the forum, then what is?

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:34 AM »

The primary reason for the Forum, as stated in my post, is to provide a community for like-minded friends that want to talk, ask, listen or just hang out together.
The subforums try and give a "room" for any interest... specific, general, social or just for fun

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 10:57:19 AM »
+ 1

The primary reason for the Forum, as stated in my post, is to provide a community for like-minded friends that want to talk, ask, listen or just hang out together.
The subforums try and give a "room" for any interest... specific, general, social or just for fun
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 12:00:54 PM »

OK, well now we’re getting somewhere. Clarification.

Just so I understand correctly, the primary reason for the forum is NOT the cars, it’s for socializing?

Please feel free to correct me if I have misinterpreted this.

Thanks Ron

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:20 PM »
Best source on the internet to(filter out) accurate info.on the original cars built by Shelby American inc. and Shelby Automotive between 1962 and 1969/70 .period....IMHO ;D

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2020, 03:45:58 PM »

To ANYONE who doesn't appreciate the above statement , you DO NOT HAVE to come here ! YOU have the choice I guarantee you. MANY of us enjoy it here and use it AS STATED above. Sure sometimes we have to endure an occasional clash of EGOs but "I" feel some of that is due to the medium we communicate with on ANY forum. I have met MANY of the people  on this forum in person and am able to "filter" responses based on having met them face to face. Changed? Yes I see more clashes among members than before the crash. If a person goes to a forum intent on changing it to what THEY want , "I" suggest they start their own.
 "I" for one am VERY thankful Ron has provided this opportunity for anyone ( even non owners) to enjoy. From the looks above this post , others agree.
    Randy Gillis
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Tired Sheep

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »
I agree, although it is my personal opinion that if you don't want to talk about vintage Shelbys then there are plenty of other venues for you.

Like others, I have left other forums because they became too diluted.

I just have higher expectations for the only Shelby club.

I understand its a difference of philosophy.