Author Topic: SAAC is not living up to it's purpose  (Read 24408 times)

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
Re: SAAC is not living up to it's purpose
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2020, 12:50:51 AM »
It boils down to cost, when something is copied it is a form of flatery. A simple observation of lets use jewelry as an example, Millions of cubic zirconias have been sold simply because of cost ,they look and feel like the real thing but are not. Trying to look the part can be just as rewarding for the car crowd if you can't pull it off financially. Enjoy the DIAMONDS... SHELBYS... or ZIRCONIAS its all about the enjoyment! Be safe out there.

The outfit made for "Zirconias"
        WHAT TIME IS IT!!!  Its FLAVA FLAV time. Last seen driving a fake COBRA down into south central L.A. Its all good we love fake cobras also. The most copied kit car on the planet! ;D

Unless you got a mouse in your pocket "We" should be "I"  ;)
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2020, 01:08:55 AM »
It boils down to cost, when something is copied it is a form of flatery. A simple observation of lets use jewelry as an example, Millions of cubic zirconias have been sold simply because of cost ,they look and feel like the real thing but are not. Trying to look the part can be just as rewarding for the car crowd if you can't pull it off financially. Enjoy the DIAMONDS... SHELBYS... or ZIRCONIAS its all about the enjoyment! Be safe out there.

That's not a mouse...  Moving along.  ;)

The outfit made for "Zirconias"
        WHAT TIME IS IT!!!  Its FLAVA FLAV time. Last seen driving a fake COBRA down into south central L.A. Its all good we love fake cobras also. The most copied kit car on the planet! ;D

Unless you got a mouse in your pocket "We" should be "I"  ;)

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2020, 07:19:24 AM »
Wait just a moment...Is someone suggesting there are FAKE Cobras running around out there? What's this all about?

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2020, 07:33:18 AM »
He said “Kit car” in his last sentence. I don’t think he meant fake as in a VIN tag being swapped to a kit. I’m sure most here would spot it right away.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »
Good morning Senor Ned, we affectionately call these fobras

Wait just a moment...Is someone suggesting there are FAKE Cobras running around out there? What's this all about?
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2020, 10:00:23 AM »
By FAKE  I mean anything that wasn't produced at SHELBY AMERICAN during that original run of real cars from 1963 - 1967. No FOBRAS... FAKYDOOS ... KIT CARS... CONTINUATION CARS... 4000 SERIES TO 8000 SERIES CARS... Parts found weathering in the desert that someone forgot miraculously, The list is long, but the facts are, many of these are actually better then the originals and many on here own or have owned one of these including myself. A couple of examples are KIWIS and RUBENS cars, They are faster, better looking, better engineered, so when it comes to I vs WE there are many on here that would agree that there is just as much or more fun factor,built into these cars that could run circles around an original. Most of those are enjoyed daily, while the others collect dust in corners of shops and garages worldwide.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2020, 11:10:25 AM »
By FAKE  I mean anything that wasn't produced at SHELBY AMERICAN during that original run of real cars from 1963 - 1967. No FOBRAS... FAKYDOOS ... KIT CARS... CONTINUATION CARS... 4000 SERIES TO 8000 SERIES CARS... Parts found weathering in the desert that someone forgot miraculously, The list is long, but the facts are, many of these are actually better then the originals and many on here own or have owned one of these including myself. A couple of examples are KIWIS and RUBENS cars, They are faster, better looking, better engineered, so when it comes to I vs WE there are many on here that would agree that there is just as much or more fun factor,built into these cars that could run circles around an original. Most of those are enjoyed daily, while the others collect dust in corners of shops and garages worldwide.

You appear to confuse your opinion with facts. You like fake things others do not, you think fake Cobras are better then the original other do not. You need to start using "I" a lot more.  ;)

“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2020, 11:40:24 AM »
.   I doubt if “most” people  “enjoy” their replicas daily(many ways to “enjoy” a car,but I am assuming you mean driving) as they are not “practical” drivers.As far as the original cars ,they are not “practical” drivers ,but you might be surprised how often many owners (especially long term owners) “enjoy” their cars.One size don’t fit all in this case IMHO.Too simplistic...... ;)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2020, 03:27:10 PM »
We all have our preferences...and what our budgets can afford.  I'd own a real 427 Cobra if I could spend the major bucks it takes to buy one these days. 

As a "consolation prize", in 2017, I bought a superb Kirkham 427 from Bruce Canepa, and that our own "Mr Cobra" himself told me he'd buy if I didn't.  That was good enough validation for me. 

I'm thrilled with it, and drive it about once a week.

I also own a KR with a 427. It's fun too, but gets much less exercise than the Kirkham.

So...Real vs Replica?  Depends on a whole bunch of factors.  I'm happy with one of each.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2020, 06:27:23 PM »
I enjoyed the part about how the fake Cobras are better-looking than the originals and can run rings around them. Uh-huh.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2020, 08:50:21 PM »
After going through a true restoration on my 67 Shelby I know what the cost are, even if you do the vast majority of the work yourself.  A well built replica is  probably at minimum a 100,000 investment .
I don't see anyone turning their nose at the endless number of Cobra kit cars that exist and are still being produced, which far exceed the number of replica Shelby Mustangs.
Truth be known; I have seen two or three cars out over 30 years on a pleasure drive, getting food at a drive-thru or even a Starbucks.  (I do at least once a week weather providing)
The vehicles that actually bother me are the Eleanor cars. I hate it when people call my Shelby that. No, it's a 1967 Shelby GT 500. The other isn't anymore true to a Shelby than the Batmobile.
I think Shelby selling his name to any Tom, Dick or Harry that wanted to produce something with his name on it made me sick. It  diluted the Shelby  name and much of the real heritage in my opinion.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2020, 09:59:25 PM »
We all have our preferences...and what our budgets can afford.  I'd own a real 427 Cobra if I could spend the major bucks it takes to buy one these days. 

As a "consolation prize", in 2017, I bought a superb Kirkham 427 from Bruce Canepa, and that our own "Mr Cobra" himself told me he'd buy if I didn't.  That was good enough validation for me. 

I'm thrilled with it, and drive it about once a week.

I also own a KR with a 427. It's fun too, but gets much less exercise than the Kirkham.

So...Real vs Replica?  Depends on a whole bunch of factors.  I'm happy with one of each.

You have damn fine taste.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2020, 10:03:08 PM »
After going through a true restoration on my 67 Shelby I know what the cost are, even if you do the vast majority of the work yourself.  A well built replica is  probably at minimum a 100,000 investment .
I don't see anyone turning their nose at the endless number of Cobra kit cars that exist and are still being produced, which far exceed the number of replica Shelby Mustangs.
Truth be known; I have seen two or three cars out over 30 years on a pleasure drive, getting food at a drive-thru or even a Starbucks.  (I do at least once a week weather providing)
The vehicles that actually bother me are the Eleanor cars. I hate it when people call my Shelby that. No, it's a 1967 Shelby GT 500. The other isn't anymore true to a Shelby than the Batmobile.
I think Shelby selling his name to any Tom, Dick or Harry that wanted to produce something with his name on it made me sick. It  diluted the Shelby  name and much of the real heritage in my opinion.

I don't think CS was involved with the Eleanor licensing thing;

https://www.eleanor-mustang.com/history.html

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2020, 10:03:34 PM »
When people refer to my car as an “Eleanor” I always politely correct them the same way:”Eleanor was a replica this is a REAL Shelby”.Simple and concise IMHO.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2020, 10:46:26 PM »
I do the same.  "Eleanor" is a Halicki Mustang, not a Shelby.  No Shelby License on the design or the name, even if someone has a CS signature on the dash. 8)