News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

SAAC is not living up to it's purpose

Started by mlplunkett, March 28, 2020, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Quote from: 2112 on May 26, 2020, 09:59:25 PM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on May 26, 2020, 03:27:10 PM
We all have our preferences...and what our budgets can afford.  I'd own a real 427 Cobra if I could spend the major bucks it takes to buy one these days. 

As a "consolation prize", in 2017, I bought a superb Kirkham 427 from Bruce Canepa, and that our own "Mr Cobra" himself told me he'd buy if I didn't.  That was good enough validation for me. 

I'm thrilled with it, and drive it about once a week.

I also own a KR with a 427. It's fun too, but gets much less exercise than the Kirkham.

So...Real vs Replica?  Depends on a whole bunch of factors.  I'm happy with one of each.

You have damn fine taste.

Thank you, sir!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

427heaven

Side- Oilers thats the definition of speed and beauty... I am quite sure those would run circles around the ORIGINALS! Just to be clear I promote cars that might not be on everyones radar but DAMN those are sweet. Maybe not driven daily, but much more than the trailer queens are driven that are 1,000,000 plus ;)

427hunter

Quote from: 557 on May 26, 2020, 10:03:34 PM
When people refer to my car as an "Eleanor" I always politely correct them the same way:"Eleanor was a replica this is a REAL Shelby".Simple and concise IMHO.

Truth be told, I really don't like fake things (cars,watches,etc). I have a difficult time understanding the desire to have something that is not authentic. The real cars have history and a connection to a time and a place that the fakes do not. I would rather have an authentic Mach 1 or Boss then a fake gt350 or 500. One of the reasons I restored my 69 was because they are too expensive and complicated to be worth faking. This is the second 66 gt350 I have owned and the question is always the same, "is it real"? 
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

427heaven

Quote from: Cobra Ned on May 26, 2020, 06:27:23 PM
I enjoyed the part about how the fake Cobras are better-looking than the originals and can run rings around them. Uh-huh.
NED Look at the 9000 series Daytona Coupes in another thread on here. That would be my definition of a better looking , better engineered, FAKYDO COBRA. UH HUH. Just Sayin.

The Going Thing

Quote from: 427hunter on May 26, 2020, 11:31:06 PM
Quote from: 557 on May 26, 2020, 10:03:34 PM
When people refer to my car as an "Eleanor" I always politely correct them the same way:"Eleanor was a replica this is a REAL Shelby".Simple and concise IMHO.

Truth be told, I really don't like fake things (cars,watches,etc). I have a difficult time understanding the desire to have something that is not authentic. The real cars have history and a connection to a time and a place that the fakes do not. I would rather have an authentic Mach 1 or Boss then a fake gt350 or 500. One of the reasons I restored my 69 was because they are too expensive and complicated to be worth faking. This is the second 66 gt350 I have owned and the question is always the same, "is it real"?
[/quo
The only "cheap" Shelby to clone is the 65-6 cars.  It's a major investment on the 67-70 cars.  Clearly, the 68-70 cars don't have the eye appeal of the 67 Shelby cars built at Shelby American nor are they as aesthetically as nice.  The other issue is demand Vs. availability.
The 68-70 cars really have no history either other than wearing the Shelby name. 70 cars being left-over unsold 69 cars.  Their market values are also witness to this fact. It's not likely with exception of the one off engineering vehicles, 68-70 cars will likely never have the popularity or value of the 65-7 cars.
Why any of the "Eleanore"  or continuation cars are give a place in any registry is beyond me.

427hunter

Yet another person who can't separate opinions from facts - I don't like fakes or "bling bling" pimp mobile's with funky paint and oversized wheels, you do.  I like 69-70's you don't. These are called opinions - start using "I" more.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

The Going Thing

Adding a pronoun to fact doesn't change the market. I don't even use the word "Fake" That only comes into play of one attempts to pass one off as a real vehicle. The old adage is: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
I don't set what appeals to others, I just stated a fact historical sales figures. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I haven't seen a real 427 Cobra on the road since I rode in my uncle's car in Maryland in the late 70's. The limited number of cars necessitates the need for the market.   No matter which vintage Shelby you drive, you're always going to get that question: Is it a real car?
Goes with the territory when people watch hyperinflation of the markets by Barrett-Jackson and others. They then realize the value of what you're driving.

427hunter

Since you keep referring to the "market" , do you think the "market" is funky paint, big wheels and chrome?

I am just not understanding your point?

What number 67 do you own? Original color? numbers matching motor and trans?

I am interested to know since the "market" you keep talking about is concourse cars.   

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

The Going Thing

I don't do Concours. I won't own a dust collector. The market I am referencing is the 68-70 market.  I watch the sales prices of vehicles as most here do.
As for my 67 GT500 it is beautifully done, but was not done with Concours in mind. I actually drive my car. No, It's also not it's original 60's Funk-A- Delic Lime Gold. It is an original 67 color.  I have had my car since 1982, so I'm also not a late-comer Shelby owner.   Other than a few changes, much with safety in mind and dealing with tire changes due to lack of choices it retains its lines. A little lower, more aggressive looking and plenty of plating on OE parts. I grew tired of the black and bare aluminum look that 99.999% of the cars have so I thought I'd make some changes that can be changed back if I decided to go that route. 

Side-Oilers

Quote from: 427heaven on May 26, 2020, 11:25:55 PM
Side- Oilers thats the definition of speed and beauty... I am quite sure those would run circles around the ORIGINALS! Just to be clear I promote cars that might not be on everyones radar but DAMN those are sweet. Maybe not driven daily, but much more than the trailer queens are driven that are 1,000,000 plus ;)

Thank you, 427heaven.  You and 2112 made my day!   

To each his own...but I think we're all here for our love of powerful vintage Fords. Shelbys and Cobras in particular. But also Bosses, Machs, K-codes and so on. Even the occasional California Special and Cougar.  And maybe a well-done Kirkham.  ;D

BTW: Whenever I'm out in my Kirkham, I always head the inevitable question off at the pass, with "It's not a real one, it's a Kirkham. But it has an aluminum body like the real ones."   Fair enough? 

I also agree that Eleanors SUCK!   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

The Going Thing

What does that have to do with anything? I've been here for 11 years?

427hunter

Quote from: The Going Thing on May 27, 2020, 01:55:12 AM
What does that have to do with anything? I've been here for 11 years?

What number is your car?

Tell us about your money machine - please educate this 69 owner, since you are an "old time" Shelby guy and I clearly don't understand the "market". I always thought the market was correct cars that had a good history, who knew the "market" was only pimped out 67  ;D 

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

The Going Thing

Side Oilers. I love the Kirkham Cobras in the polished finish. They're unique.  The good news is you can have a bit of fun knowing that it's replaceable.
I like all Shelbys. Some more than others.  I have owned a Chevrolet. It spent more time at the dealer with warranty repairs and recalls than I used it. I sold it after four years with 22,000 miles. Fans, clutch, axle seals, three transmissions, ac compressor, fuel pumps.  My last GM product.
I will always be an FE fan. Between Robotnic and Patrick we've turned the bow tie crowd on their ear winning many of the most recent engine master competitions.  700+ streetable horsepower is now commonplace.

I find the hostility here rather disturbing anymore.  Hopefully it will return to a norm at some juncture.

427hunter

Quote from: The Going Thing on May 27, 2020, 02:04:35 AM
Side Oilers. I love the Kirkham Cobras in the polished finish. They're unique.  The good news is you can have a bit of fun knowing that it's replaceable.
I like all Shelbys. Some more than others.  I have owned a Chevrolet. It spent more time at the dealer with warranty repairs and recalls than I used it. I sold it after four years with 22,000 miles. Fans, clutch, axle seals, three transmissions, ac compressor, fuel pumps.  My last GM product.
I will always be an FE fan. Between Robotnic and Patrick we've turned the bow tie crowd on their ear winning many of the most recent engine master competitions.  700+ streetable horsepower is now commonplace.

I find the hostility here rather disturbing anymore.  Hopefully it will return to a norm at some juncture.

You are super passive aggressive, I am not (yet another difference) all that dribble about the "market" and now you are upset that I pointed out your pimp mobile is not considered part of the market because it's modified - BTW What number is your 67? Still waiting......

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

The Going Thing

Quote from: 427hunter on May 27, 2020, 02:12:28 AM
Quote from: The Going Thing on May 27, 2020, 02:04:35 AM

[/quote
I decided to take a look at your post. You're calling me passive aggressive?  I'm Mr. Rogers in comparison to your nastiness. Calling people liars openly and telling them "I call BS" and then attacking someone and calling them stupid for wanting to do their vehicle as it would have came from Shelby.  Who the F*ck are you?  You're no one.
Not one goddamn post you put up here is helpful.  You behave like a drunk. I encountered plenty of them in my years on the job. 
Your quote says it all.  "602 stole 2000 hours of my life"  You want a brownie button?
I did EVERYTHING on my Shelby but the exterior paint work and the 3rd member set up. It was about love of the car.  I wish I only had 2000 hours in it.  It didn't steal anything. It's beautiful. I'm very proud of it and my first two outings were Best of Show awards.
Making your childish pimpmobile comments about my Shelby and throwing school yard insults? You get bullied when you were in school so you're a keyboard warrior now?
I have posted several pictures.  You have what, 48 post? Not one constructive post or commentary, just your ignorant hostile personal attacks on multiple members and yet they remained polite to you despite calling them a liar? Not in my AO would you walk away with a declaration of that nature.

You are super passive aggressive, I am not (yet another difference) all that dribble about the "market" and now you are upset that I pointed out your pimp mobile is not considered part of the market because it's modified - BTW What number is your 67? Still waiting......