Author Topic: SAAC is not living up to it's purpose  (Read 24413 times)

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: SAAC is not living up to it's purpose
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2020, 09:30:57 AM »
I don't see the hobby in bad shape at all. 

What I see are great cars are still holding a tremendous value, original and NOS parts are now seeing the light of day since long time collectors are letting them go or passing on and their families are letting them go. 

If you go to any show (when we're allowed to again), people may ask if your car is real, thats okay because when you say yes, their eyes get wide and they WOW.  If its a replica, then they say man that is a beautiful car and guess what, you had a great conversation and possibly made a new friend.   

I think a lot of times when we get older our perspective changes not because the hobby is dying but because we have shifted our focus.  You have "been there and done that" so your enthusiasm to create a club, join events, create an event, call fellow enthusiasts and hang out, trade parts, buy parts etc... isn't what you do anymore because quite frankly, you changed.  You don't need the parts, your car has been shown many times and received numerous awards.  Your car is fussy, no AC or the AC doesn't work, not as comfortable as your new car that your lady wants to take to dinner. 

I haven't been in the SAAC very long but I will tell you, if you put forth the effort to attend shows and get involved again, your opinion will change.  Your crowd may change because most people in the 20's can't afford a 65-70 Shelby but they love their fox bodies or replicas.  Engage them and see their excitement. 

Heads up drag racing has made a comeback over the last 5 years, the venues are packed with people doing Friday night street fights, run what you brung type events.  The auctions were packed with a lot of good cars going through them. 

So ask yourself this "have I changed?" before you pass judgement or make a blanket statement that the hobby is dying.  I bet you will say yes, you have changed, because you are not as involved in the hobby as you once were. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:53:12 AM by Greg »
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2020, 09:46:53 AM »
  Ya know, some of you same "posters" maybe should concider buying a Corvette and being done with this.
 Now, in my Walter Mitty life, when I think about the next one, will it be a 289 Cobra kit car, or, a 32 Ford on 29' rails with 289 motivation.  Can't decide.
     Said a guy with a real 67 GT 350, and...I'm also building a Tribute GT 500.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:49:19 AM by roddster »

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2020, 10:31:09 AM »
I think you guys either didn't read the thread or missed something. My whole point was/is:

It is an oxymoron to want "correct parts for a car that is not real".

I personally don't like clones/fakes - that means I don't - if you do good for you. There is a huge difference IMO between putting a SOHC motor in a mustang, which is cool, and putting Shelby decals on your C code mustang which is not.

I like the way pony cars and muscle cars from the era drive, that's why I own them- if it wasn't for wanting that feel the new versions (redeye-gt500-ss-etc) are way more driveable they just lack that feel.

Bottom line, if I wanted a Shelby I would rather own an real 07 then a clone 67.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:38:12 AM by 427hunter »
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2020, 10:37:02 AM »
Side Oilers. I love the Kirkham Cobras in the polished finish. They're unique.  The good news is you can have a bit of fun knowing that it's replaceable.
I like all Shelbys. Some more than others.  I have owned a Chevrolet. It spent more time at the dealer with warranty repairs and recalls than I used it. I sold it after four years with 22,000 miles. Fans, clutch, axle seals, three transmissions, ac compressor, fuel pumps.  My last GM product.
I will always be an FE fan. Between Robotnic and Patrick we've turned the bow tie crowd on their ear winning many of the most recent engine master competitions.  700+ streetable horsepower is now commonplace.

I find the hostility here rather disturbing anymore.  Hopefully it will return to a norm at some juncture.
[/quote
I decided to take a look at your post. You're calling me passive aggressive?  I'm Mr. Rogers in comparison to your nastiness. Calling people liars openly and telling them "I call BS" and then attacking someone and calling them stupid for wanting to do their vehicle as it would have came from Shelby.  Who the F*ck are you?  You're no one.
Not one goddamn post you put up here is helpful.  You behave like a drunk. I encountered plenty of them in my years on the job. 
Your quote says it all.  "602 stole 2000 hours of my life"  You want a brownie button?
I did EVERYTHING on my Shelby but the exterior paint work and the 3rd member set up. It was about love of the car.  I wish I only had 2000 hours in it.  It didn't steal anything. It's beautiful. I'm very proud of it and my first two outings were Best of Show awards.
Making your childish pimpmobile comments about my Shelby and throwing school yard insults? You get bullied when you were in school so you're a keyboard warrior now?
I have posted several pictures.  You have what, 48 post? Not one constructive post or commentary, just your ignorant hostile personal attacks on multiple members and yet they remained polite to you despite calling them a liar? Not in my AO would you walk away with a declaration of that nature.

You are super passive aggressive, I am not (yet another difference) all that dribble about the "market" and now you are upset that I pointed out your pimp mobile is not considered part of the market because it's modified - BTW What number is your 67? Still waiting......

Let me guess, you and your "Shelby" are brown water Navy and the tag number is classified.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2020, 10:48:25 AM »
I don't see the hobby in bad shape at all. 

What I see are great cars are still holding a tremendous value, original and NOS parts are now seeing the light of day since long time collectors are letting them go or passing on and their families are letting them go. 

If you go to any show (when we're allowed to again), people may ask if your car is real, thats okay because when you say yes, their eyes get wide and they WOW.  If its a replica, then they say man that is a beautiful car and guess what, you had a great conversation and possibly made a new friend.   

I think a lot of times when we get older our perspective changes not because the hobby is dying but because we have shifted our focus.  You have "been there and done that" so your enthusiasm to create a club, join events, create an event, call fellow enthusiasts and hang out, trade parts, buy parts etc... isn't what you do anymore because quite frankly, you changed.  You don't need the parts, your car has been shown many times and received numerous awards.  Your car is fussy, no AC or the AC doesn't work, not as comfortable as your new car that your lady wants to take to dinner. 

I haven't been in the SAAC very long but I will tell you, if you put forth the effort to attend shows and get involved again, your opinion will change.  Your crowd may change because most people in the 20's can't afford a 65-70 Shelby but they love their fox bodies or replicas.  Engage them and see their excitement. 

Heads up drag racing has made a comeback over the last 5 years, the venues are packed with people doing Friday night street fights, run what you brung type events.  The auctions were packed with a lot of good cars going through them. 

So ask yourself this "have I changed?" before you pass judgement or make a blanket statement that the hobby is dying.  I bet you will say yes, you have changed, because you are not as involved in the hobby as you once were.

+1 - I couldn't agree more.
Nothing beats a classic!

SBCARGUY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2020, 10:56:27 AM »
I usually refrain from commenting but...

"Some of you guys" are either seriously passive/aggressive or just "need your head examined"  8)

As an ORIGINAL SHELBY Owner for Many Many Years "I use the term Original Shelby not the term REAL"  and several others over the years

Such as Kirkhams, well done Clone GT350s etc.... To each his or her own.

SAAC or any other Forum, Car Club etc "Should" be a place for people to be able to express opinions, feelings, questions, etc without being

Berated, Insulted, Terrorized etc... Some people on this Forum somehow forget this at times...

Almost everyday for a week I have driven a 289 Cobra and for the most part, it brings out interesting questions (Not is it REAL?), smiles, thumbs-up

and most IMPORTANTLY.. A SMILE on my face.

"LIGHTEN UP" AND ENJOY YOUR CARS REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY ACTUALLY ARE.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:51:02 PM by SBCARGUY »

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2020, 11:15:22 AM »
"LIGHTEN UP" AND ENJOY YOUR CARS REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY ACTUALLY ARE."

+1. 

I am not a Shelby owner.  Never have been, likely never will be.  I don't have the means financially and I'm not embarrassed to admit that.  What I can say is that I guarantee that I am as enthusiastic about these cars as anyone on this forum.  I own and have read probably every book written on the marque.  I've always been a vehicle enthusiast, just happens that Ford/Shelby is my preference.  But I'll look at an old Mack "B" model truck or Chris-Craft wooden boat as much as I will an old muscle car. 

The best I can do is my clapped-out 1968 Mustang GT coupe.  But that car gives me as many smiles and gets as many thumbs-up reactions as anything else would, I'm certain of that.  I'm just happy to be a part of this hobby we all love.   :)

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »

+2

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2020, 01:47:43 PM »

+2

TOB

I try and drive mine all the time, and I enjoy seeing others drive their cars regardless of what they are. Original, real, clone, tribute , fake, repro, anything as long as YOU enjoy YOUR car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD0MtDoaYts
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »
+ 1

agreed enjoy what you have and dont stop until the wheels fall off

"LIGHTEN UP" AND ENJOY YOUR CARS REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY ACTUALLY ARE."

+1. 

I am not a Shelby owner.  Never have been, likely never will be.  I don't have the means financially and I'm not embarrassed to admit that.  What I can say is that I guarantee that I am as enthusiastic about these cars as anyone on this forum.  I own and have read probably every book written on the marque.  I've always been a vehicle enthusiast, just happens that Ford/Shelby is my preference.  But I'll look at an old Mack "B" model truck or Chris-Craft wooden boat as much as I will an old muscle car. 

The best I can do is my clapped-out 1968 Mustang GT coupe.  But that car gives me as many smiles and gets as many thumbs-up reactions as anything else would, I'm certain of that.  I'm just happy to be a part of this hobby we all love.   :)

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2020, 06:06:59 PM »
I have a real one,have nothing against true “clones”.I have seen some incredible cars that minus serial numbers could pass for a “real” car.I appreciate the time,workmanship and cash (most of which will likely never be seen again) that it takes to pull this off.I consider this respectful as long as they don’t try and pass it off as an original car.The half assed efforts I can do without.Some  Shelby features on a coupe,etc. isnt really my cup of tea....That being said ALL vintage auto enthusiasts (regardless of make,flavor,etc.)have a lot more in common than you might think IMHO.. ;)

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2020, 08:11:00 PM »
I have a real one,have nothing against true “clones”.I have seen some incredible cars that minus serial numbers could pass for a “real” car.I appreciate the time,workmanship and cash (most of which will likely never be seen again) that it takes to pull this off.I consider this respectful as long as they don’t try and pass it off as an original car.The half assed efforts I can do without.Some  Shelby features on a coupe,etc. isnt really my cup of tea....That being said ALL vintage auto enthusiasts (regardless of make,flavor,etc.)have a lot more in common than you might think IMHO.. ;)

You hit this on the nail-head.  The hostility and attacks because he wanted to build his "clone" as it would have been done at SA was met with nasty degrading comments.  He is actually doing two Shelbys. He came here with help and got more grief than help.

I met with the resident arsehole 427hunter "Pimpmobile" bullshit over a few factory chrome items on my engine along with the choice to run the 17" version of the 10 spoke rims because of lack of tire choices for high horsepower cars.  That is harassment that I am sure nothing will be done by the moderators nor will they address the private attack messages sent. 
If Bob Gains or anyone received them I'm sure it would be instantly addressed. 

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2020, 09:35:23 PM »
Just for my 68-70 hating friend with the pimped out 700HP real Shelby with a top secret number  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNdBLBleO90

Lighten up Frances

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:38:28 PM by 427hunter »

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Forum Guide

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
That is harassment that I am sure nothing will be done by the moderators nor will they address the private attack messages sent.

Just FYI... we don't read your private messages, nor do we read and "evaluate" every post... unless it is reported.

We tend to put fires out, not arbitrate "disagreements" ...