Author Topic: SAAC is not living up to it's purpose  (Read 24414 times)

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: SAAC is not living up to it's purpose
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2020, 10:43:18 PM »
I also enjoy my  original SA factory built GT350.  But I do like clones, as long as they are presented as imitations, tributes, whatever besides the real deal.  They keep the interest in the cars.  Look at all the repli-Cobras that are out there.  If a factory original shows up, it brings alot of extra viewing and attention.  And that is a good thing, right? 

We have a lot of suppliers for Mustangs and Shelby parts still around but unfortunately have only a couple of devoted magazines or publications and they are  club membership based (SAAC and MCA).  I miss all the ones that were put out of business.

Only bummers to me are any sort of SA tag on the non-real, unreal (whatever the clones are) and builders raiding the bins for original parts that the restorers need. 8)

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2020, 12:02:09 AM »
I also enjoy my  original SA factory built GT350.  But I do like clones, as long as they are presented as imitations, tributes, whatever besides the real deal.  They keep the interest in the cars.  Look at all the repli-Cobras that are out there.  If a factory original shows up, it brings alot of extra viewing and attention.  And that is a good thing, right? 

We have a lot of suppliers for Mustangs and Shelby parts still around but unfortunately have only a couple of devoted magazines or publications and they are  club membership based (SAAC and MCA).  I miss all the ones that were put out of business.

Only bummers to me are any sort of SA tag on the non-real, unreal (whatever the clones are) and builders raiding the bins for original parts that the restorers need. 8)

There are few things that aren't reproduced anymore. However, I don't think most clones bother with things like choke tube filters. ( The only part I am lacking on my GT500)  I sadly didn't know when I bought my front end parts in 1989 that there were two different grills. I need a slant grill.
They are not easy to come by in this day and age.
Anyway, we can be thankful for much of the availability because of the  tribute cars.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2020, 01:57:11 AM »
Also the well built replicas really do fan the flames.Anyone who takes the time to build one likely cherishes (and probably well informed on)the original cars.The more voices out there spewing out information on Shelby American and the original cars the better IMHO(whether they are standing by a real car OR a replica) ;D

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2020, 12:37:25 PM »
    After eight pages of comments ( including mine) , and some interaction with the OP , "I" have a couple of comments.
     After reading the initial post Mickey made one more time , it left me wondering WHY SAAC (or it's members) should be responsible for supplying detailed information/construction details so a "perfect clone" could be built?
      The next question is about motivation . What is the reason for building an exact duplicate? Men built the cars once and men can build them again , I don't see that being a "challenge" unless deceit is the intent. If lower cost is the motivation , I understand that "doing it yourself" can save allot of money over buying "the real thing". Customizing Mustangs as you can afford it is nothing new , building "replicas" is a recent "thing".
    Please don't interpret my comments as "anti clone" , it's a free country , just don't try to "sell me" as it being equal to an original. It is your interpretation of an original.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2020, 12:42:55 PM »
Agreed. I also disagree with "it's a form of flattery"

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2020, 12:48:59 PM »

I’ve owned, driven, and raced a number of cobra replicas. All were fun while I owned them. Freely admitted they were not real and never tried to pass them off as such. Might own another one of these days as I cannot afford to ball up an original and walk away from the investment. To each his own, live and let live.

Bill S

PS: SAAC has never looked down on them, neither have 90% of the owners of originals, just a few CSX4K owners who thought theirs were originals and should be treated as such... 
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2020, 01:01:16 PM »

[/quote]

Bill S

PS: SAAC has never looked down on them, neither have 90% of the owners of originals, just a few CSX4K owners who thought theirs were originals and should be treated as such...
[/quote]

Gee, Bill, I can't begin to recall who you might be thinking of. Oh, wait...yes I can. Let's forget the subject altogether.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »

Bill S

[/quote]

Gee, Bill, I can't begin to recall who you might be thinking of. Oh, wait...yes I can. Let's forget the subject altogether.
[/quote]

Lol
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2020, 01:17:50 PM »

Putting stripes on a Mustang to make it a Shelby is no different than putting lipstick on a pig to make it a beauty queen. Neither works.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2020, 10:24:11 PM »
Why don't you really become exclusive. We'll start the SAAC Gestapo division to inspect  all cars. If the powers that be don't approve of use of plating or finish on engine or components they declare the "pimp mobile" statute and remove said individuals and ban their participation.
Is that where we're going?  This tread started because of the arrogance shown him because he didn't want to do a half-assed job building his dream replicas. He was actually called stupid. How long do you think this forum and vendors will survive with this kind of disposition?
You better start thinking about the survival of our hobby. Most of you are gray ghost and clearly aren't forward thinking.
Just a little food for thought..

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2020, 01:39:46 AM »
Fast fords are cool.....period....  8)

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2020, 10:28:25 AM »
   37 made and over one thousand still exist. OR less than one thousand built and 50,000 still exist , many with their original Chevy engines.
    "In MY Personal Experience" ONLY , clone owners are where most of the "attitudes" are but attitudes are everywhere in life , not just SAI vehicles or the "gestapos" than hang out here at the SAAC Forum. Long live the Shelby Police.
   Randy

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »
Wait, we already have inspectors...they are called concours judges.

Unfortunately, the club values originality and preservation more than cars that have been reconstructed, fake tags, non original paint, modified suspensions, chrome engines, modern electronics, etc,

Just my observation, its not personal.

There a lot of things I dont like, but people can do what they like with their cars, you just cant expect everyone to like your choices or force them to help you, if they disagree with those choices.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:17:55 AM by Coralsnake »

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2020, 11:17:53 AM »
Why don't you really become exclusive. We'll start the SAAC Gestapo division to inspect  all cars. If the powers that be don't approve of use of plating or finish on engine or components they declare the "pimp mobile" statute and remove said individuals and ban their participation.
Is that where we're going?  This tread started because of the arrogance shown him because he didn't want to do a half-assed job building his dream replicas. He was actually called stupid. How long do you think this forum and vendors will survive with this kind of disposition?
You better start thinking about the survival of our hobby. Most of you are gray ghost and clearly aren't forward thinking.
Just a little food for thought..

You trash 68-70 models in your comments and refer to "the market" constantly, yet when I pointed out that your pimpmobile is not considered part of the "market",  and that the "market" is for concourse cars with a good history, you get upset.

As I said before I personally do not like clones, I would rather have a real (fill in the blank) then a fake Shelby. But that's me I don't hassle people for fakes, but the idea of collecting original correct parts for a fake makes zero sense.

BTW let me know DEVGRU declassifies the release of your 700hp, Keith Black ported "bling bling" machines VIN. 

“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2020, 11:33:42 AM »
The SAAC is a great organization for many reasons, but most of all, it protects the provenance of the the 65-70 Shelby's as well as early Cobras and GT40's.  The later renditions will never be as valuable as the first ones are but they are important vehicles because they proliferate the brand name. 

As far as clones, recreations and such they are okay as long as they don't get presented as original 1st generation cars. Most folks don't know the difference and don't care to find out, they just see pretty colors.  The original first generation cars are works of art and collected as such.  Can they be faked, sure they can, but that is why the SAAC is so important. 

I truly don't understand the backlash, I read what the OP presented and he was butt hurt because the "experts" weren't key board ready to unveil all the answers.  You have to research, make friends, ask, be humble in knowing the answers are out there and someone will help you.  Enjoy the journey grass hopper  ;D
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1