News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Detail Paint Question

Started by rmarble57, March 29, 2020, 08:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmarble57

More progress today and more taking apart.
Looking to see who has the skinny on a good match for the Power Steering pump lighter blue color.

This whole quarantine thing sure can make a Shelby look good.

Thanks for the help.

'67 #23

JD

The "Ford" Thompson pumps (denoted by the "F" on the second line of the tag) were "blue metallic" were supplied painted by the maker. An odd blue for sure.

NPD does sell a spray can of the color but I didn't buy any = not sure just how accurate it is.

The restore I worked with had some special mixed to match his pump to use on his restoration and had enough left over for mine - see attached.  The area inside the red oval is what to reference, it changes depending on the light a angle viewed.  There is a pump shown in another thread regarding "Parts" that is a bit bright but on the right track in my opinion.

Also, the dip-stick is not painted blue on these - sliver zinc (the black pumps had the dip-stick painted in-place)

Others will chime in.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

Color appears to have been mixed up without sticking to one specific formula as there are many original pumps with a fairly wide range of final looks. Ones I've seen and have pictures of are always on the darker side, some metallic (runs and sags in the final look are typical and show the metallic more) and remember the rear can was painted after it was attached to the front cast pump. Some miss this and when you see one two different finishes it tends to stand out

Some examples have a slight greenish tint also. As far as reproducing the color - have used NPD and for me and others the color falls into a range were it does not grab your eye or stand out as incorrect or unacceptable. Others have found that Ford 4J exterior color from 1981-83 - Med Dark Spruce Metallic acceptable - its more towards the green side

Some original examples

NOS Service replacement of unknown creation date  - possibly the reason for a wider variation of the color

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cbrown

JD,  are you saying the ford Thompson pumps did not have dipstick in them when painted?

Chris

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cbrown on March 29, 2020, 09:49:26 PM
JD,  are you saying the ford Thompson pumps did not have dipstick in them when painted?

Chris
Not JD but I believe That the Ford Thompson pump was painted with a plug where the dipstick goes and then typically a unpainted silver dipstick installed later. At least the silver unpainted dipstick is what is typical on that MFG pump . There is typical and non typical..   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

^^^

Jeff's color examples show much better than what I posted.

To add to Bob's post, here is a another photo with the not blue dip stick and a detail of the dipstick for the Thompson pump.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on March 29, 2020, 11:33:29 PM
^^^

Jeff's color examples show much better than what I posted.

To add to Bob's post, here is a another photo with the not blue dip stick and a detail of the dipstick for the Thompson pump.
FYI the dipstick in JD's picture is the 67 unique (maybe early 68) style with the check oil when hot metal stamped on to the thumb pull . The later dip sticks did not have the stamp on the thumb pull.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rmarble57

Thanks all.  Mine appears a lighter example with obvious green undertones.  Dollar to a donut it has been repainted a time or 2 in the last 50+ years.