News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

swap HiPo manifolds for correct 68 GT350 manifolds

Started by Corey Bowcutt, March 30, 2020, 05:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

The exhaust manifolds that came in a box (came with SST headers on the car) with my car are C7ZE-9430 A and 9431 A which I thought were for my car.  Come to find out these appear to be HiPo exhaust manifolds so clearly not for my 1968 GT350.  So I would like to trade these for correct manifolds for my February 68, 4 speed GT350.  They look to me to be in very good condition but I am by no means an expert in fact very much a novice.  Let me know if there is any interest.  In reality I will probably never swap out the headers because the car runs so well but I like to know I have the correct manifolds should I ever want to.

KR500

Cory
Beware that although all 1968 GT 350's and for that matter all 302 J code engines exhaust manifolds have the same casting numbers 4 speed cars have an additional machining so the air tube fittings have more clearance to the manifold. As A/T cars use the IMCO emission system and therefore no smog pump/air tubes they do not have this additional machining in the flange area.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Rodney.  I learn new stuff literally every day.

Royce Peterson

Also they have date codes so it will not cost anything extra to find the right ones the first time. Lots of them on eBay usually. I would buy the Lo - po 302 manifolds and then list yours for sale. Yours are worth a lot more than the correct ones.

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on March 30, 2020, 07:56:47 PM
Thank you Rodney.  I learn new stuff literally every day.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Corey Bowcutt

Royce,

Thank you for that.  I actually suspected that was the case.  I guess I should do some homework.

Corey

JD

IIRC the exhaust manifolds you have may also be correct for later '67 GT350's (wider user range than just '68's), the earlier cars used C3 and a C4 identified parts but later cars used the C7 parts, not sure when the change occurred (time) and others will know better.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Corey Bowcutt

The history of the motor in my car is a bit of a mystery.  The block has a date code of August 67.  I have no idea if these exhaust manifolds came on that engine originally or not?  When I bought the car it had headers and the PO provided a box of parts including these manifolds.

Royce Peterson

An August '67 casting would be likely for a '68 model year car. What's the assembly date stamp on the block and what is the build date of the car?

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on April 01, 2020, 01:04:24 PM
The history of the motor in my car is a bit of a mystery.  The block has a date code of August 67.  I have no idea if these exhaust manifolds came on that engine originally or not?  When I bought the car it had headers and the PO provided a box of parts including these manifolds.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

KR500

Quote from: Royce Peterson on April 04, 2020, 01:37:15 PM
An August '67 casting would be likely for a '68 model year car. What's the assembly date stamp on the block and what is the build date of the car?

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on April 01, 2020, 01:04:24 PM
Regardless of the date codes of exhaust manifolds in Cory's photos they are not a factory application for a 68 302 J code Mustang/Shelby
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267