News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Why become a SAAC member?

Started by Boxerville's Manor, March 31, 2020, 12:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boxerville's Manor

Hello,
I was given some advise to become a SAAC member since I am on the hunt for a 1966 GT350.  I was hoping someone can give me the pros of membership. 

In addition, my ultimate goal is to find an original Gt350 with patina.  I prefer the unrestored look similar to the photo. 

Thanks everyone.  The 65-66 GT350 is the sexiest car to come out of the 1960s.

BGlover67

Ultimately, you are helping to preserve the body of knowledge associated with the automobiles of Shelby American.  That, and and the printed annual Shelby American is well worth the cost of membership.  One of the finest pieces of automotive reading available.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

Quote from: evantugby on March 31, 2020, 12:16:53 PM
Hello,
I was given some advise to become a SAAC member since I am on the hunt for a 1966 GT350.  I was hoping someone can give me the pros of membership. 

In addition, my ultimate goal is to find an original Gt350 with patina.  I prefer the unrestored look similar to the photo. 

Thanks everyone.  The 65-66 GT350 is the sexiest car to come out of the 1960s.
Pro - I for one want to support a organization that protects the integrity of the cars that I love. Without all of the facets of the organization working together to keep track of the cars, individual history of the cars, the imposters, historic build details and spreading the little known positive attributes to the world the current perception of the cars I dare saw would be different in a negative way. The minimal dues help keep all of the effort intact. I automatically appreciate those that support the effort even if their views do not follow mine. Kind of like a family. My own personal perception is that if one wants to knowingly take for granted and advantage of the benefits but don't want support the effort is one choice to make . I automatically profile people who make those choices with suspicion. The fellowship and camaraderie that comes from being a member is also a added positive side effect that can be hard to measure IMHO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

alexgt350h

Well said Bob!
I to want to point out that becoming a member opens you up to a whole new world of people.
Have met many Shelby guys (and gals) from around the world thru my participation in SAAC events.

Brent Alexander

Dan Case

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

jguyer

As a long time member of SAAC, it is hard to identify with someone new to the club. Trying to think back, the interest in the cars of Mr. Shelby came first, long before ownership. I still remember the '65 GT350 I saw in front of the elementary school I had previously attended. As a teenager I was not able to buy one. You have the ability to plan your purchase. Part of that plan is gathering information. Interacting with people who know and love these cars may help you decide. Do you buy a certain car? Ask for help, is a particular vehicle best for you? Will it break the bank (and your heart)? Will it be the one that got away? (and break your heart a little less).

I guess I'm asking more questions than you are.

Comes down to this: If you enjoy doing something with like-minded people, SAAC is the best you will find on a journey in the Shelby world.

John
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

Side-Oilers

I agree with Mr. Gaines and others.  It's a benefit to all to support the common cause...our love for Shelbys.

And the annual publication is great too!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

rkm

Cons:

Every annual vacation for the rest of your life will include a trip to a famous race track.
Your children will become disappointed when they get their drivers licenses because there's no interesting cars to buy.
The day after each annual convention you will go into a deep funk from which you will not recover until January or February of the following year.
You keep looking at pictures of yourself as you were standing next to a car 30 or 40 years ago and wonder why the car still looks great and you don't.

mark p

I copied/edited this statement about SAAC from member "557" (in a different thread):
"Best source...[for] accurate information on the original cars built by Shelby American inc. and Shelby Automotive between 1962 and 1969/70 .period"

that may not be a strong enough statement regarding accurate information, but it does give the general idea.
Seems to me that a person would be nuts to buy a '66 Shelby without a ton of this type info, and also that one would wish to support the club.
the list of other "Pros" can likely go on for pages...
IMHO, the only "Con" to joining is the $50 (a pretty low number considering the price of everything else).

Good luck, and welcome aboard.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

s2ms

Quote from: rkm on March 31, 2020, 02:14:44 PM
Cons:

Every annual vacation for the rest of your life will include a trip to a famous race track.
Your children will become disappointed when they get their drivers licenses because there's no interesting cars to buy.
The day after each annual convention you will go into a deep funk from which you will not recover until January or February of the following year.
You keep looking at pictures of yourself as you were standing next to a car 30 or 40 years ago and wonder why the car still looks great and you don't.

Perfect!
Dave - 6S1757

texas swede

Please become a member. I was 29 years old when I became a member in 1977 and I am 72 now and still a
member. Over all these years I have never regretted my renewal and as long as I am alive will continue
to renew my membership. Everybody I know in the club have been very helpful and as the saying goes, treat others
the way you like to be treated and you will be happy.
Good luck with your hunt for a 66.
Texas Swede

propayne

Joining the SAAC before you purchase a '66 GT350 would be a very wise decision.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

kingchief

Pro.  The end of the year Annual is WELL worth the cost of membership alone. Plus all GREAT assistance in learning about these beautiful automobiles.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Don Johnston

Quote from: propayne on March 31, 2020, 04:03:50 PM
Joining the SAAC before you purchase a '66 GT350 would be a very wise decision.

- Phillip

Absolutely.  I wish I had. Pro: joined back in the 1980s as soon as learned about SAAC  to gather continuing knowledge, enjoy conventions and acquire long term friendships.  Con: not joining soon enough. 8)

trotrof1

If you enjoy wrenching on and driving vintage historical cars, this club is the place to be. Attending the SAAC convention is a eye opener. If you have a specific questions We can do our best to answer them.