News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Why become a SAAC member?

Started by Boxerville's Manor, March 31, 2020, 12:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJH

Best money spent to be part of a great community. I joined in 1981 as a 13 year old fan who grew up with my dads best friends '68KR (#4166) that he had purchased new at Tasca Ford. I was lucky enough to buy my own Shelby at age 23 and owned it for roughly 22 1/2 years before selling in 2014. Met lots of wonderful people from all walks of life.
SAAC member since 1981

pchmotoho

First time I joined was back in 82 during high school.  I let the membership expire for many years however have been a member for around 10 years now.

The people you meet and the annual are the two best reasons to join.

When you are ready to start looking the wisest thing you could do would be to join the local chapter. 

69mach351w

Quote from: propayne on March 31, 2020, 04:03:50 PM
Joining the SAAC before you purchase a '66 GT350 would be a very wise decision.

- Phillip
+1

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: BGlover67 on March 31, 2020, 12:44:56 PM
Ultimately, you are helping to preserve the body of knowledge associated with the automobiles of Shelby American.  That, and and the printed annual Shelby American is well worth the cost of membership.  One of the finest pieces of automotive reading available.
I've been a member for ten years but I didn't receive my 2019 copy of the annual Shelby American in January/ February this year.  Is there somebody I can contact to see if I can get my copy?

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

SFM6S087

If you're interested in buying a classic Shelby today, it's probably because of what SAAC has been doing for the last 40+ years. It is largely due to SAAC's efforts that these cars are known about and so widely appreciated today.

And through extensive research and documentation they have kept the bloodline pure. Because of SAAC it's practically impossible to create a believable fake. So if you do buy "one of X" number of cars ever built, you can be certain that the X will not keep getting larger as happens with some other marques.

If you're going to piggyback on their tireless work over the past decades it would seem only right to support that effort going forward.

In my mind, those are good enough reasons to be a member. The printed "Shelby American" annual, plus the conventions and other benefits are just icing on the cake.

Steve

SFM6S087

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on March 31, 2020, 09:35:03 PM
Quote from: BGlover67 on March 31, 2020, 12:44:56 PM
Ultimately, you are helping to preserve the body of knowledge associated with the automobiles of Shelby American.  That, and and the printed annual Shelby American is well worth the cost of membership.  One of the finest pieces of automotive reading available.
I've been a member for ten years but I didn't receive my 2019 copy of the annual Shelby American in January/ February this year.  Is there somebody I can contact to see if I can get my copy?

QSS

I think Jay Talbot (the membership director) is in charge of that. You can contact him at membership@saac.com

If he's not the right person he should be able to direct you to that person.

Steve

chris NOS

I joined the club BEFORE i started to look for my car , to educate myself with all the particularity of shelbys , so many things can go wrong in buying one off those Legends if you don't know what to look for. And then i discoverered a lot of enthusiasts ready to answer questions , help to find parts, and even come with me to inspect cars ,and few friends too !
With out SAAC it would  a lot worse out there with fakes, and all what other said before  +1

kjspeed

Quote from: SFM6S087 on April 01, 2020, 04:58:47 AM
If you're interested in buying a classic Shelby today, it's probably because of what SAAC has been doing for the last 40+ years. It is largely due to SAAC's efforts that these cars are known about and so widely appreciated today.

And through extensive research and documentation they have kept the bloodline pure. Because of SAAC it's practically impossible to create a believable fake. So if you do buy "one of X" number of cars ever built, you can be certain that the X will not keep getting larger as happens with some other marques.

If you're going to piggyback on their tireless work over the past decades it would seem only right to support that effort going forward.

In my mind, those are good enough reasons to be a member. The printed "Shelby American" annual, plus the conventions and other benefits are just icing on the cake.

Steve

Agreed! SAAC is many things; this forum, annual conventions, Shelby publications, etc. but in my opinion the most important function it serves is to maintain the registries. Joining SAAC is the only way to support the efforts of those dedicated registrars. So join already!
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

CharlesTurner

Some join for personal benefit, some join to support an organization that promotes/preserves the marque... and then some do it for both reasons.

From the outside looking in, it can be somewhat intimidating joining any club.  Depending on one's involvement, any preconceived perceptions quickly diminish.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

acman63

I joined before there were any magazines,  before any conventions, before any registries.. Where did that 44 years go?   its worth the small investment to keep the flame alive.
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Cobrask8

Remember the one universal axiom of any club, organization, or group:

"What you put into it will directly affect what you get out of it"

Many just join or get the car first, either order, do very little, don't attend conventions, growl at the tributes, keep the cars in airtight, bulletproof enclosures, and think that now they are the greatest. They are the ones you should avoid.

Look for those that drive the cars, enthusiastically share info, are active in regional groups, go to the national conventions, ask questions. Be an active member. When you are that, then membership is worth it.

If you just are going to buy and gloat, think twice.

(BTW - I have been a member 30+ years, NEVER owned a genuine Shelby vehicle, run my SAAC regional group for 25 years, have been a delirious convention staff worker since 1992, and more. Get involved. It's more fun)

68blk500c

Looking back on my 30 years, I view my membership experience as essential to being able to realize my dream in 2018, with our Thoroughbred/Div.I black '68 500 vert.  So many facets of this club contributed to our success.  Most importantly, are the people whom I've met and whom have shared their knowledge and experience. But beyond that, it is the true friendships that have developed and continue.

Join now, before you buy,  You will probably make a better decision. 

Raise a toast to SAAC.   

Coralsnake

Listen to Don, he has the best restored GT500 ever!

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 01, 2020, 05:50:20 PM
Listen to Don, he has the best restored GT500 ever!
Is Don's car an automatic or stick?  AC or non AC?

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.