News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Tires for a 1968 GT500KR

Started by Flasheart, June 09, 2020, 05:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flasheart

Guys,

It has been a while since I posted here, and I see all my old posts have disappeared.

It is time to put some new tires on the KR. It currently has some 2008 vintage Goodyear Eagle GT II fitted, so they are becoming time expired rather than worn out.

If I was a purist I would put Goodyear Polyglas E70/15 blackwalls on the car.  However, I have recently driven a 69 Dodge Charger fitted with bias ply Firestone Wide Ovals and did not enjoy wandering all over the road, following the cracks in the bitumen etc.  When those Wide Ovals were replaced with bias-look radial Wide Ovals it was a huge improvement.

So if not repro bias ply Goodyears, then what? What else gives it a period look but is safe to drive?  I was thinking about bias-look Firestone Wide Ovals with raised white lettering - would look the period but not correct for the car.

What about Avon C6ZZ?  They have simple 1960s style tread and quite a square profile.  You could leave them black for a sort of correct look?

Any other suggestions?

Mike

Flasheart

No feedback yet? I thought there would be many opinions on tire choices.

After reading many posts on the forum, I am convinced not to attempt to fit bias-ply because of the driving characteristics.  I would still consider Firestone Wide Oval bias-look Radials because they seem to be the only late-60s looking radial available currently.

There is also a lot of discussion about Avons, and many positive reviews.  So I have looked at the Avon selection and narrowed it down to these contenders.  I think the Avon 205/70R15 would be closest to the original, but the Avon 225/65R15 would get me the original equipment diameter, the right profile, and a little more width on the road. The Avon 225/60R15 is an inch smaller in diameter than original equipment.

Has anyone used these tires on a 67/68 Shelby or have any advice on these possible contenders?  Thanks

Original equipment - Goodyear Polyglas GT Blackwall tires  E70/15  RIMS 7”   DIAMETER 26.73”  SECTION WIDTH 8.40”  TREAD WIDTH  6.63”

Avon  CR6ZZ-DOT   205/70R15 96V     RIMS 6.0-7.0     DIAMETER 26.7    SECTION WIDTH 8.3    TREAD WIDTH 6.6

Avon  CR6ZZ-DOT   225/60R15 96V    RIMS  6.0-8.0   DIAMETER 25.7    SECTION WIDTH 9.13    TREAD WIDTH  8.07

Avon  CR6ZZ-DOT    225/65R15 99V   RIMS  6.5-8.0    DIAMETER  26.7    SECTION WIDTH 9.1    TREAD WIDTH  7.9

Also a wider 245/60R15, perhaps for the rear tires only.  Can these be mounted on a 15 x 7 rim? 

Avon  CR6ZZ-DOT  245/60R15 100V   RIMS  7.5-9.0   DIAMETER    26.7    SECTION WIDTH 9.9   TREAD WIDTH   8.7

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Flasheart on June 10, 2020, 03:37:40 PM
No feedback yet? I thought there would be many opinions on tire choices.

After reading many posts on the forum, I am convinced not to attempt to fit bias-ply because of the driving characteristics.  I would still consider Firestone Wide Oval bias-look Radials because they seem to be the only late-60s looking radial available currently.

There is also a lot of discussion about Avons, and many positive reviews.  So I have looked at the Avon selection and narrowed it down to these contenders.  I think the Avon 205/70R15 would be closest to the original, but the Avon 225/65R15 would get me the original equipment diameter, the right profile, and a little more width on the road. The Avon 225/60R15 is an inch smaller in diameter than original equipment.

Has anyone used these tires on a 67/68 Shelby or have any advice on these possible contenders?  Thanks

Original equipment - Goodyear Polyglas GT Blackwall tires  E70/15  RIMS 7"   DIAMETER 26.73"  SECTION WIDTH 8.40"  TREAD WIDTH  6.63"

Avon  CR6ZZ-DOT   205/70R15 96V     RIMS 6.0-7.0     DIAMETER 26.7    SECTION WIDTH 8.3    TREAD WIDTH 6.6

Avon  CR6ZZ-DOT   225/60R15 96V    RIMS  6.0-8.0   DIAMETER 25.7    SECTION WIDTH 9.13    TREAD WIDTH  8.07

Avon  CR6ZZ-DOT    225/65R15 99V   RIMS  6.5-8.0    DIAMETER  26.7    SECTION WIDTH 9.1    TREAD WIDTH  7.9

Also a wider 245/60R15, perhaps for the rear tires only.  Can these be mounted on a 15 x 7 rim? 

Avon  CR6ZZ-DOT  245/60R15 100V   RIMS  7.5-9.0   DIAMETER    26.7    SECTION WIDTH 9.9   TREAD WIDTH   8.7
I don't agree that firestone wide ovals regardless of if bias ply or radial would look right on the car. To me it would look odd regardless. Just me others may have different opinion. If you put the firestone on there black out the sidewall would be my suggestion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bigfoot

What size are the Eagle II's ur pulling off ?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Flasheart

The Goodyear Eagle GTIIs are 4 x P235/60R15.

69 GT350 Vert

I've heard the Avons are real sticky and handle great, but they pick up more stones and will sandblast your paint due to their stickiness. 

I'm close to buying new tires as well.  When I do, I will be getting the cooper cobra radials.  They have a higher speed rating than the BFG Radials.  You could turn the raised white letters to the inside if you want to mimic the blackwall look on a KR.   

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on June 11, 2020, 10:00:23 AM
I've heard the Avons are real sticky and handle great, but they pick up more stones and will sandblast your paint due to their stickiness. 

I'm close to buying new tires as well.  When I do, I will be getting the cooper cobra radials.  They have a higher speed rating than the BFG Radials.  You could turn the raised white letters to the inside if you want to mimic the blackwall look on a KR.
FYI you would want black wall on the outside regardless of if you turned them white letter inside or out or not you need to black out the white letters. It is not hard to do with a spray can. Not a good look to see white letters peeking out when the front side is blackwall. The backside of the tire is visible when looking from various angles and not necessarily when bending down. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shlby66

I've been running, AVON CR6ZZ's, for over 12 years, with no sandblasting, of my Shelby's paint and I've
       been participating in the GT350 Tours, for the past several years, along with my usual driving. I have all
       4 corners, mounted with 225/65 x 15's on 15 x 8" PS Eng. wheels.

Doug 

Flasheart

That is good news!    I think the 225/65R15 May be the choice, on 15 x 7 10 spokes.  They seem to be an almost exact diameter match for the original E70/15#

Quote from: shlby66 on June 11, 2020, 05:05:25 PM

I've been running, AVON CR6ZZ's, for over 12 years, with no sandblasting, of my Shelby's paint and I've
       been participating in the GT350 Tours, for the past several years, along with my usual driving. I have all
       4 corners, mounted with 225/65 x 15's on 15 x 8" PS Eng. wheels.

Doug

shelbydoug

This is such a common question on this forum and it has been repeated so many times my suggestion is that there should be a "sticky" section where previous threads are readily available and plain to see and find.

I can think of at least three previous discussions that I can't even find with a key word search? I think that needs to be dealt with technically here if possible?

So there are two headings to start with, tires, clutches. Maybe Cobra fender shapes (with pictures) to save Ned from repeating?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shlby66

Quote from: Flasheart link=topic=10873.msg92276#msg9227
6 date=1591961305
That is good news!    I think the 225/65R15 May be the choice, on     15 x 7 10 spokes.  They seem to be an almost exact diameter match for the original E70/15#

You have several choices, to choose from, with the diameter, closely matching the original tire size.
       The AVON's, are a true, Hi Performance tire. I've been running them for more than 12 years with no
       problems. Plus, they have a great period look, tread design.

Doug

kjspeed

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 12, 2020, 07:37:11 AM
This is such a common question on this forum and it has been repeated so many times my suggestion is that there should be a "sticky" section where previous threads are readily available and plain to see and find.

I can think of at least three previous discussions that I can't even find with a key word search? I think that needs to be dealt with technically here if possible?

So there are two headings to start with, tires, clutches. Maybe Cobra fender shapes (with pictures) to save Ned from repeating?

Agreed! For whatever reason, the Search function on the forum leaves a lot to be desired. I've tried searching numerous times and most of the time I give up before ever finding what it is that I was looking for.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt