News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Shelby Automatic Shifter wiring.

Started by V8Dave, March 31, 2020, 04:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V8Dave

Hello Everyone
I have a few questions as regards the 1967 Shelby automatic shifter lever, shifter wiring and handle.
I have tried searching on the web and in parts catalogs because I always like to learn however I am unsure on a few questions. Due to being in lockdown as well(coronavirus) I can not access my assembly line manuals which I am sure would answer one of my questions. So I wish to apologise for asking these questions if they are trivial.
The first question is did all the 1967 Shelby's receive the standard chrome automatic shifter handle or did they receive the deluxe shifter handle(leather look but is actually plastic) I believe its the chrome handle however was unsure.
The second question is regards to the automatic shifter light I have searched on NPD and ACP, I believe there are two styles early and late. The only difference I believe is the plug on the end of the shifter light harness? Which style was used the most through out the production of the 67 shelby's and when was the change over date?
The last questions is the wiring from the shifter light to the under dash harness. I understand from the pictures that the shifter light has a 8 inch wiring harness with a plug on the end(early /late being different from what I can tell) however I am assuming it is not long enough to plug in to the under dash harness(or maybe it is, it just doesn't look it).so I assume there must be a extension harness that plugs into the shifter light end of the harness and then goes up to the under dash harness illumination feed.(I so wish I had my assembly line electrical manual I feel a fool asking these questions)
So again I looked on NPD and EBAY and found somebody selling an original extension harness on eBay ford part #C7ZB-15A808-A however some are listed as fitting 67 mustangs with a center console and some are not and to the best of my knowledge I know the 67 Shelby's did not have the center console. So is there a different extension harness used (part number# ?) for the normal mustangs and Shelby's with out the center console using the standard automatic shifter? and if so does somebody happen to know the part number and if Alloy metals make a reproduction of it as again I cant not find anything online or even in parts catalogs? Again I assume there must be an early and late version due to having what looks like different plugs on the end of the shifter light harness. Or maybe I'm wrong and the shifter doesn't have an extension wiring harness and the wiring on the shifter light is long enough to plug in to the under dash feed on a non equip center console cars? If any one has some information or photos and can point me in the right direction would be great. I am doing some homework in advance while on lockdown.
Thanks again to everyone for your time and help in advance and hope your are all staying safe and well through this bad period.
All the best, have a nice day
Dave :)

The Going Thing

The extension is available in reproduction. The wire for this is usually taped down to the harness next to the fuse block. Without pulling my well-worn Osborne manual I believe the wire is black with a blue stripe. I'll scan the page and see if I can find who stocks the harness for you.

Krelboyne

The 1967 jumper harness, from under dash to PRNDL lamp assembly is: C7ZZ-15A808-A.

Typically, 1967 used a black plug with a combination male/female connector to that PRNDL light socket. 1968 is a blue plug, and is double male/double female connector on other end
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Bob Gaines

Quote from: V8Dave on March 31, 2020, 04:21:21 PM
Hello Everyone
I have a few questions as regards the 1967 Shelby automatic shifter lever, shifter wiring and handle.
I have tried searching on the web and in parts catalogs because I always like to learn however I am unsure on a few questions. Due to being in lockdown as well(coronavirus) I can not access my assembly line manuals which I am sure would answer one of my questions. So I wish to apologise for asking these questions if they are trivial.
The first question is did all the 1967 Shelby's receive the standard chrome automatic shifter handle or did they receive the deluxe shifter handle(leather look but is actually plastic) I believe its the chrome handle however was unsure.
Thanks again to everyone for your time and help in advance and hope your are all staying safe and well through this bad period.
All the best, have a nice day
Dave :)
The 67 Shelby would typically have the faux grained plastic handle.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

V8Dave

Hello Everyone
Thank you for your time and help.
Thank you Keith for the information on the wiring ill await your photo and information on where in the future I can purchase a 1967 jumper harness. I can not seem to see one listed anywhere sold by alloy metal wiring?
Thank you Krelboyne for the part number on the original ford harness. If alloy metal does not reproduce one I will now have a part number to hunt for a good used one in the future. Thanks also for information on the plugs ends I guessed and thought the same as you mentioned.
Once again thank you Mr Gaines for the information on the shifter handle. For some reason I thought they used the standard handle however thank you for clearing that up.
Take care everyone and stay safe.
Thanks again for your time and help.
Have a nice day
Dave

Bob Gaines

Quote from: V8Dave on March 31, 2020, 06:13:51 PM
Hello Everyone
Thank you for your time and help.
Thank you Keith for the information on the wiring ill await your photo and information on where in the future I can purchase a 1967 jumper harness. I can not seem to see one listed anywhere sold by alloy metal wiring?
Thank you Krelboyne for the part number on the original ford harness. If alloy metal does not reproduce one I will now have a part number to hunt for a good used one in the future. Thanks also for information on the plugs ends I guessed and thought the same as you mentioned.
Once again thank you Mr Gaines for the information on the shifter handle. For some reason I thought they used the standard handle however thank you for clearing that up.
Take care everyone and stay safe.
Thanks again for your time and help.
Have a nice day
Dave
Dave, your not crazy but most like confused the handle with the standard interior automatic handle used on the 66 GT350's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Krelboyne

I can add more on the deluxe faux leather 1967 shift handles.
The reproduction handle, is a replica of the 1968-72 handle with convex buttons, and they only come in black.
1967 had concave chrome buttons. Small detail, but worth mentioning.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

V8Dave

Hello Everyone
Thanks Again Mr Gaines for the information your right I must of mixed up the 66 handle with the 67 style by mistake. :-\ However I am always happy to learn so again thank you for your help.
Also thank you Scott for the detail on the 67 shifter handle that will be another item I will try to track down in the future.
Thank you all again for your time, help and patience.
Stay healthy and safe.
All the best, Have a nice day
Dave

V8Dave

Hello The Going Thing.
Thank you for your help and time. I thought that was the harness I need thank you for the confirmation, however now to find if its reproduced?
I can not seem to find it listed anywhere with mustang parts venders. Maybe alloy metal maybe don't make it?
Let me know if you find any more information before me.
Thank you again for your time.
All the best
Stay healthy and safe during lockdown.
Dave

Coralsnake

I do not believe Alloy Metal Products reproduces the 1967 harness you are looking for. They do make the 65-66 version.

You will need to source it used

There are other companies that reproduce wiring, but I do not have information on them. Typically they are not made in the USA, like the AMP wiring.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

V8Dave

Hello Pete
Thank you for the reply. I was beginning to think they didn't make that particular harness as I could not seem to find it anywhere listed. So I guess after this lockdown crisis is lifted I will have to try and find a good used original.
Thanks again for your time and help Pete.
Stay healthy and safe during lockdown.
All the best
Dave

The Going Thing

I'll dig up the new part number for you too. I know the owner of Alloy Metal Products. It's where MOST harnesses come from. I have loaned them a couple of originals to reproduce from. They are also an OE supplier.
Below is a used one from Ebay that appears to be in good shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/67-1967-OEM-Mustang-Console-Automatic-Shifter-Light-Wiring-Harness-C7ZB-15A808-A/173920399774?hash=item287e76b19e:g:cX0AAOSw14hceqIZ

Coralsnake

Apparently, he doesnt believe me. That's okay. He will get there 😉

But, if you do find an Alloy Metal part number, I would be happy to send you one for free. I have been selling the AMP wiring for more than 30 years.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

V8Dave

Hello Everyone
Thanks The going thing for your help and the link. The only think I noticed different between the two harnesses in the links you sent me was that the first is a blue wire with a black stripe. The second one is a blue wire with red stripes if I'm correct? not much difference I guess just didn't know if it was a console/ non console wire harness difference or maybe just me.
Pete thank you for the kind offer that's very nice of you and I do appreciate your offer of help.
I hope you are all staying safe and healthy in lockdown and thank you for taking the time to answer these trivial questions, I hate to waste peoples time and always like to research parts as best I can however due to lockdown I cannot access my books and manuals :-\ so I do appreciate the time you are all taking to offer me information and help.
Again thank you all stay safe and healthy.
All the best
Dave