News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 Shelby GT500 Air Cleaner

Started by texas swede, March 31, 2020, 04:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas swede

Hi guys,
My 67 Shelby GT500, 67402F7A01317 was ready at San Jose on Jan 31, 1967.
As I have understood it, the engine (428 8V) was installed by Ford. That includes the COBRA
air cleaner and my question is:
Which type of air cleaner shall my car have?
Bottom as well as top lids?
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

Quote from: texas swede on March 31, 2020, 04:58:08 PM
Hi guys,
My 67 Shelby GT500, 67402F7A01317 was ready at San Jose on Jan 31, 1967.
As I have understood it, the engine (428 8V) was installed by Ford. That includes the COBRA
air cleaner and my question is:
Which type of air cleaner shall my car have?
Bottom as well as top lids?
Texas Swede
My big Swedish friend I have a high confidence level that your car would have the diecast Cobra lid with wrinkle finish and die cast base with 90 degree nipple and made in stiffening ribs with a S7MS casting number IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

Thanks Bob,
Just bought an original base lid on Ebay matching your description. Already have the top lid.
Thanks again,
Texas Swede

texas swede

Bob.
The nipple on the air cleaner base for PCV connection seems a bit strange to me.
It is above the carburetors instead of below like most other cars.
Should the nipple be blocked and the hose connected to the intake manifold instead.
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

Quote from: texas swede on April 06, 2020, 10:20:27 AM
Bob.
The nipple on the air cleaner base for PCV connection seems a bit strange to me.
It is above the carburetors instead of below like most other cars.
Should the nipple be blocked and the hose connected to the intake manifold instead.
Texas Swede
I would say first that it is a poor design for the PCV to function. The way it was done in production was PCV to the air cleaner base. There is hardly any vacuum to the pcv and definitely not enough for it to work right. If for doing a lot of driving I would rubber cap the base and take a GT350 pcv brass nipple put it in the front plugged port on the passenger side of the intake and run your pcv hose to there for best PCV performance. They should have done that from the git go. If for historical appearance and occasional pleasure driving run the pcv to the aircleaner base.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede