News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Restore Mag Star Rims...

Started by FordGT, March 31, 2020, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FordGT

Anyone have any idea what it costs to restore a set of 4 Mag Star rims in good driver condition and also who restores them?

Thanks

Shawn

Not used them before but they may restore the 69/70 wheel

Paradise Wheels Inc
1413 Linda Vista Dr Suite D
San Marcos, Ca 92078
760-290-3031

roddster

Used to be about $500 per wheel.  And then you'd get a newly chromed wheel with a safety lip you can see from the outside. (looks a little different).
  If a ever try it again, I'd try to knock the rim off of the center and have the original rim rechromed, then put them back together with some original looking rivets, and go from there.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: FordGT on March 31, 2020, 04:59:39 PM
Anyone have any idea what it costs to restore a set of 4 Mag Star rims in good driver condition and also who restores them?

Thanks
I am out of date on what the prices are now but in years past it cost you about the same to buy new repro from Craig Conley as it did to restore the original. After restoration the center is the only thing that is from the old wheel. he does not reuse the old rim. He uses a modern DOT approved rim with a added safety bead and mandated DOT registration stamping. FYI the repro centers Craig makes are identical even going as far as duplicating the KH trademark. I am not sure that if a to be restored center that is too marred up that a new repro center is substituted instead most likely with permission of course. Regardless they are identical. The restored wheels do not have rivets like original but instead cap screws which look different but are stronger for liability reasons . What you end up with after restoring is virtually the same as the repro wheel . There hasn't been any company doing the rivets for about 5 years now. I am not sure what the cost difference if any there is between buying a repro wheel and having your set restored (and consequently ending up the same) . If the price is close and the wheels are still reasonably nice you may be better off selling the wheels to some one not looking for the new look or for a survivor car. You could use the sale money towards the purchase of a new set given they will look the same. At least that is a thought. Hopefully this will give you some insight so that you can make a informed decision that is best for you.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby