News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967/68 4 Speed Ford Shifter Adjustment and tool.

Started by The Going Thing, April 03, 2020, 10:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Going Thing

I believe it was Corey who had asked about this. I am going to post in 67 thread as well.
This is the Ford Sevice manual instructions as well as the tool that must be made to do so.
The tool is made with .250 "piano" wire. You can find this in Hobby Shops.  The straight portion is about 4" long and the 45-degree bend is about three inches in length. Be sure to clean up the edges of the end that you cut.  You don't want it longer because it will hit the driveshaft tunnel and you may not be able to get it in the hole.
Be sure it passes through ALL three levers before you start trying to make adjustments.
I posted the factory service manual instructions. I have a different method. If you are interested in my method I'll be glad to post for the asking.

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Kieth. This is all new to me. I installed a new trans and shift knob and arm and rebuilt the shifter all without knowing about this. Great information! Maybe I am lucky because shifter works great but now I am very curious if mine is adjusted correctly. I would be interested to hear your method.
Corey

The Going Thing

My flight hours have been cut over 50% so I am trying to make the best of it and get a few things caught up.  I hope the information is helpful. I can send you my technique via PM. It's a little more difficult when you are starting out after a complete overhaul of transmission and shifter mechanism. I was off just a small amount and it would come out of forth while at cruise and deaccelerating.  I got it worked out with changing the method a little.

Royce Peterson

+1 this is what I have done for many decades. The tool is unnecessary. You can also use a simple 1/4" bolt that is ~ 2" long.

Quote from: roddster on April 04, 2020, 11:40:12 AM
A 1/4" drill bit works too.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on April 04, 2020, 01:32:10 PM
+1 this is what I have done for many decades. The tool is unnecessary. You can also use a simple 1/4" bolt that is ~ 2" long.

I use a Allen wrench which is even shaped the same way as the factory tool. More then one way to skin a cat as they say.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 04, 2020, 03:14:04 PM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on April 04, 2020, 01:32:10 PM

I use a Allen wrench which is even shaped the same way as the factory tool. More then one way to skin a cat as they say.

A 20d common nail will work too. When you're done, leave it under the carpets. It will fit in with the barn find tale.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

s2ms

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 04, 2020, 03:14:04 PM

Another vote for the Allen wrench...
Dave - 6S1757

The Going Thing

It's the angle for big block cars. I don't see why and Allen wrench wouldn't work if it fights the hole tight.

Corey Bowcutt

Can I assume this process is performed when the shifter is in neutral position?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on April 05, 2020, 10:51:32 PM
Can I assume this process is performed when the shifter is in neutral position?
Confirmation given. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

Yes, Corey.  The tool forces the arms into neutral and locks them there.  If you don't get all the levers in exactly neutral on the transmission if won't shift properly, or at all. Not to mention not having full engagement in what gear is chosen.

Corey Bowcutt