Author Topic: Wheels and tires 10 spoke  (Read 4909 times)

67 GT350

• View Profile
Wheels and tires 10 spoke
« on: April 04, 2020, 06:46:48 PM »
Do the 10 Spoke wheels take special lug nuts (Original Wheels)? Where can I get them? What are some good size tires to get? I am thinking 215 60 15? Or can I go 235 60 15? I do want raised letter tires and I think I have to get BF Goodrich, I think the Avon/adding lettering is kind of wrong....I guess I just do not know enough about that....

This is what I have not.
RARE  Signature Delete

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wheels and tires 10 spoke
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 07:08:21 PM »
The 3 wheels offered on '67 Shelby's (steel, Mag Star and Aluminum 10-spoke) each used a specific lug nut...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 07:22:11 PM »
You can run 235-60-15. It's not as tall as the original tire at a tire height of 26.1" Vs 26.73" You can also run larger in the rear. 245-60-15. It's 26.6" tall. If you run the staggered tire sizes you won't need to change the driven speedo driven gear.  If not you'll need to change your speedometer driven gear if you're concerned about accuracy.

Here is the calculator for the tire height. They also have a comparison tool in the same browser as well as a speedometer driven gear selector.
If your car is OE the drive gear is black 7 teeth.
You'll need the tire diameter, gear ratio, and drive gear tooth count. ( I provided that above) so it should be simple.
The driven gear change takes a 3/8 wrench and about 10 minutes time once you have the front up on jack stands.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
https://www.tciauto.com/speedometer-gear-calculator

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 08:24:46 PM »
The 3 wheels offered on '67 Shelby's (steel, Mag Star and Aluminum 10-spoke) each used a specific lug nut...

Hmmm, so what Branda offers is OK, it is a one size fits all?
RARE  Signature Delete

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 09:50:25 PM »
The 10 spoke rims could have three different lugs. If they're the reproductions Branda offered there is another possibility.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 10:26:18 PM »
No, they are original 10 spokes.
RARE  Signature Delete

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 11:42:16 PM »
My originals use the middle short-shank nut in the middle as do my 17" reproductions. I am going to try and send you a link via PM. Instead of the 10.00 each lug nuts from Branda there is another option.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 01:01:09 AM »
No, they are original 10 spokes.
If you want a original looking lugnut get the original type ones that Branda sells or Shelby Parts and restoration. There are lower price alternatives but they do not look the same.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 08:41:41 AM »
My originals use the middle short-shank nut in the middle as do my 17" reproductions. I am going to try and send you a link via PM. Instead of the 10.00 each lug nuts from Branda there is another option.

Keith is right on. He told you EVERYTHING you need to know. HE can't do it FOR you.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 08:48:59 AM »

Keith is right on. He told you EVERYTHING you need to know. HE can't do it FOR you.  ;)

Yes I will have to do the rest! Thanks! Gee I was thinking of asking for a collection to pay for them, that would be doing everything for me! Hahaha! Thanks again!!!
RARE  Signature Delete

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 08:52:29 AM »
There is another NON-Original 15" version out there sold by Shelby later on that use the lugs shown below - BUT these are NOT for original 10-spokes - note there is no taper, has a washer and has a "shank".

Not all 10-spokes out there use the same lug nuts
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:40:23 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 09:33:04 AM »

Yes I will have to do the rest! Thanks! Gee I was thinking of asking for a collection to pay for them, that would be doing everything for me! Hahaha! Thanks again!!!

No but sometimes with the questions that you ask, and the way that you respond, I wonder if you would be better off with a seeing eye dog?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 03:04:37 PM »
67 GT 350 specifically stated that he was looking for lug nuts for ORIGINAL 10 spokes. So why do people have to go down the repo wheel and lug nut road? The original 10 spoke wheels were designed for and used the lug nuts as the middle ones in the photo JD supplied in reply #1. All repo 10 spoke wheels are spot faced and are designed to use the lug nut with the washer as in JD's photo in reply #10. They DO NOT interchange! I have seen some people use the original lug nuts on repo wheels trying to disguise that they are repo wheels. This is dangerous! Use the lug nuts that are designed for your wheels.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:24:57 PM by KR500 »
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 03:40:23 PM »
67 GT 350 specifically stated that he was looking for lug nuts for ORIGINAL 10 spokes. So why do people have to go down the repo wheel and lug nut road? The original 10 spoke wheels were designed for and used the lug nuts as the middle ones in the photo JD supplied in reply #1. All repo 10 spoke wheels are spot faced and are designed to use the lug nut with the washer as in JD's photo in reply #10. They DO NOT interchange! I have seen some people use the original lug nuts on repo wheels trying to disguise that they are repo wheels. This is dangerous! Use the lug nuts that are designed for your wheels.

No. Not ALL repro wheels usingflat washers at all. The current run uses exactly the original set up. Exactly.

The caution is because it can be so confusing as to which wheels are originals and which are not.

I have an early '67 set with no engineering id casting number and no cast in wheel spacer.
Someone who has never seen a set before wouldn't know what they were.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 05:17:28 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 07:05:34 PM »
OK, I have seen the current repo wheels. I did not know they changed back to the original tapered seat lug nut.

No. Not ALL repro wheels usingflat washers at all. The current run uses exactly the original set up. Exactly.

The caution is because it can be so confusing as to which wheels are originals and which are not.

I have an early '67 set with no engineering id casting number and no cast in wheel spacer.
Someone who has never seen a set before wouldn't know what they were.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267