News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Wheels and tires 10 spoke

Started by 67 GT350, April 04, 2020, 06:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Going Thing

There are no originals out there unless you stumble onto a set. The chrome is usually hammered on originals. 
The current batch of legendary lug nuts look like the OE nuts except for the sides of the lugnut isn't quite as smooth as the head. You sure can't see the side of them. It would be problematic for Concours cars.
Please, by all means by originals if you can find some that are in good enough condition to have re-chromed and get them done.  You're looking at a cost of about 25.00 each by the time you've went that route. 20.00 X  25= 500.00.
I drive my car and own the special lined socket so I don't damage the sides or break the chrome off the edges.

Bob Gaines

Branda sells a very nice chrome lugnut made to original specifications for 4.50 a lugnut. I am not sure how much JC at Shelby Parts and Restorations sells his for. At one point he sold highly polished stainless steel versions that were stronger and took more abuse then the chrome ones. The SS he sold were comparable in price. hope he still sells them. You can crack the chrome right off of the nut if you use a impact or are overly rough with them . The stainless steel ones of course will not crack and it is difficult if not impossible to tell they are stainless instead of chrome once installed. I would not waste money rechroming used originals which are way more expensive and will not look any better given the available alternatives .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

The current version of the 10 spoke lug that Branda sells is all you need for an"original 10 spoke" or original design wheel.

The original nuts cosmetically were never anything to covet to begin with. They're 'freakin' lug nuts, not something supplied by Cartier.

They were cheap and cost reactive.

Anytime you give a gorilla an air gun someone is going to pay the price on several things anyway. Why people can't even put on lug nuts beats me?

Why they took off 5 and lost 2? Can't count to 5?  Where did the other two go? Yikes!

Incidentally, if you hit these things with full tank pressure you will snap the lugs. 1) use anti-seize 2) hand tighten only and re tighten after one heat cycle.

Why would anyone use an air gun on the lugs of original hub caps? Not just one cap, the complete set? Complete lack of supervision at the asylum?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 04, 2020, 06:46:48 PM
Do the 10 Spoke wheels take special lug nuts (Original Wheels)? Where can I get them? What are some good size tires to get? I am thinking 215 60 15? Or can I go 235 60 15? I do want raised letter tires and I think I have to get BF Goodrich, I think the Avon/adding lettering is kind of wrong....I guess I just do not know enough about that....

This is what I have not.

I replaced my bias ply Goodyears last year with BFGs and I staggered the sizes.  215/60R15 front and 235/60R15 rear.

I am ok with the look..... and they are great drivers IMO.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

67 GT350

Quote from: oldcanuck on April 06, 2020, 10:06:47 AM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 04, 2020, 06:46:48 PM
Do the 10 Spoke wheels take special lug nuts (Original Wheels)? Where can I get them? What are some good size tires to get? I am thinking 215 60 15? Or can I go 235 60 15? I do want raised letter tires and I think I have to get BF Goodrich, I think the Avon/adding lettering is kind of wrong....I guess I just do not know enough about that....

This is what I have not.

I replaced my bias ply Goodyears last year with BFGs and I staggered the sizes.  215/60R15 front and 235/60R15 rear.

I am ok with the look..... and they are great drivers IMO.

I have those bias ply Goodyears now, bad tire for driving. Wish they made a "Goodyear" Radial, like they do with Firestone!
RARE  Signature Delete

Bigfoot

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 06, 2020, 07:39:17 AM

Why they took off 5 and lost 2? Can't count to 5?

Complete lack of supervision at the asylum?

Top 10 funniest ever on SAAC Forum.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

67 GT350

Tangents, right? LOL

I am still looking for a seeing eye dog.... I was told I need one. LOL
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bigfoot on April 06, 2020, 10:50:20 AM

"The mind boggles!" :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigfoot

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 06, 2020, 11:07:24 AM
Quote from: Bigfoot on April 06, 2020, 10:50:20 AM

"The mind boggles!" :o

Ya
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbydoug

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 06, 2020, 11:01:32 AM
Tangents, right? LOL

That should work out. Yours is an automatic right?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 06, 2020, 03:26:31 PM
Tangents, right? LOL

Yeah, it is AUTO, not my preference, but my seeing eye dog didn't know the difference and there were none up the street at that time that were 4 speeds. With prices tumbling though, I may get one with the manual soon. Mine is a auto with air.....both I rather not have...but it is a nice car!
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 06, 2020, 04:14:50 PM
Tangents, right? LOL

Yeah, it is AUTO, not my preference, but my seeing eye dog didn't know the difference and there were none up the street at that time that were 4 speeds. With prices tumbling though, I may get one with the manual soon. Mine is a auto with air.....both I rather not have...but it is a nice car!

It's a nice combination. Saw one with full handicapped controls once. Friend from Viet Nam. X-airborn. Broken back. Never saw one with paw controls though? Steering wheel rim is too thin. Miss my 'shepards. More reliable then human partners.

Best!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigfoot

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 06, 2020, 04:14:50 PM
Tangents, right? LOL

Have not seen any tumbling on 65 or 67 but perhaps the environment might bring out a few more stallions to choose from.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI