News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Mustang not shelby but different

Started by gt350shelb, April 05, 2020, 10:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prototypefan

Seeing Coralsnakes link......the Mach2 looks like the Intermeccanica in the front and side with a Lotus Europa in the rear

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=intermeccanica+griffith&FORM=HDRSC2

propayne

According to the awesome book "Kar-Kraft, Race Cars, Prototypes and Muscle Cars" by Charlie Henry the Mach 2 was built on the frame of a 1967 Mustang convertible (tho from what I can see of it it looks like a earlier Mustang?).

Below is a scan of a photo by Jim Mason from Henry's book - lots more info on this and all the other cool and wacky stuff built at KK.

If you don't have a copy, run out and get one.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

prototypefan

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Coralsnake

J_Speegle

Quote from: propayne on April 05, 2020, 02:32:50 PM
According to the awesome book "Kar-Kraft, Race Cars, Prototypes and Muscle Cars" by Charlie Henry the Mach 2 was built on the frame of a 1967 Mustang convertible (tho from what I can see of it it looks like a earlier Mustang?).

Yes 64-66 body panels (quarters, B pillar, cowl side to mention a few)  with some non- Mustang panels ( such as forward drivers side inner fender panel) and possibly a seat pan similar to the two seater prototypes like the Mustang I. Though it does have what looks to be R model wheels and blue dots :)

Cool look but there were so many attempts and concepts in the early years as we have seen.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

propayne

Saw this while thumbing through my May 1967 issue of Road & Track.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

67 GT350

Quote from: 557 on April 05, 2020, 10:11:24 AM
So the vette was late on the mid engine scene then????LOL

And that back end is ugly on the Vette...
RARE  Signature Delete

Bossbill

Looks like the Opel GT stole the front fender but removed the vents:

Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

TransamEd

The red Mach II street concept car was built on a 67 convertible body, not an early body, the white competition version was built separately at Kar Kraft on a different chassis.
Pictures courtesy Tom/KK

The case about the early chassis is still cold and not closed. 3 prototypes are mentioned in early documents.