Author Topic: 65 steering wheel center cap  (Read 2333 times)

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
65 steering wheel center cap
« on: April 05, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »
Today find an original steering wheel center cap for a 65 GT350 is real Quest ! i have been lucky to find a mint one for 5S241 , it's the middle one in this picture , two sides one are different old repro :

And the last available repro :

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
Re: 65 steering wheel center cap
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 12:57:22 PM »
Ya, I have been searching for a mint or excellent one for years. I found a fair original almost 10 years ago and purchased the wheel and cap to get the center cap. Vern had one a couple years ago but it went quickly. There was a poor one on eBay last year and it was expensive. My search continues. The current reproductions are very nice but not exact.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 02:17:11 PM »
I’d have to agree. The original 65 GT350 steering wheel center cap is one of the most difficult pieces to find (I honestly believe it’s on purpose) along with the original owners manual. These two pieces have been reproduced for year’s incorrectly and again  the visual details about them I think intentionally. Just my two cents.

Cheers
~Earl J

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
+1 took me years to find one..found it...sold it...wishing I could find another one LOL..

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 07:46:53 PM »
I have an original but it has hairline cracks in the clear plastic. Is there any way to repair or replace the clear plastic covering the cap? It's not for sale, not that anyone would want it in it's current condition.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 08:09:46 PM »

Depending on the depth of the scratches it might be possible to polish them out.  I sent a steering wheel emblem to a extremely low production car to Instrument Specialties. They fully restored it and the quality is first rate. If you look at past Ford instruments they've restored you will see several Shelby gauge clusters, etc.
Turn around isn't speedy, my emblem took 40 days till it's return, so bear that in mind.

https://www.instrument-specialties.com

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 09:28:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Most of the scratch's are surface flaws but one appears to have a slight crack. Not sure if it could be repaired to quality standards.
Maybe I'll attach a gold chain and wear it as bling. Not that it I'll impress anyone except me.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 12:53:24 AM »
You might try a headlight restoration kit to polish it and remove the scratches.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 10:46:04 AM »
    The reproductions made by Acsco have a flaw that is caused by the molding process they used. It is in the 2 o'clock area if you look at it like a clock. Only seen at certain angles. You might be seeing that. Cracking (or the lack of it) depends on the material used . There are several choices.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.